Help!! Going to look at a Burn L today!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Dfrog
c

Help!! Going to look at a Burn L today!

Post by Dfrog »

Ok, so I have been wanting to get into a little more whitewater boating and my tandem partner is to. We have kicked around the idea of getting kayaks (makes me feel a little durty though). Have been paddling a adventure 16 up to IIIs, and it is a bear. Yes we swim alot.

Wanting to get solo boats cause we think it will be easier to get together to paddle.

For a beginner is a kayak or oc1 easier to get started in?

I am 6'3" 265, he goes about 120 or so.

I am going to sit in a Pyrahna Burn L this evening and know that it will be hard to resist. Am I doing a bad thing?
Acosi151
Pain Boater

Post by Acosi151 »

Buy the boat and have fun. Don't worry about what "K" or "C" category you'll fall into.
Dfrog
c

Post by Dfrog »

Cool, and thanks! Just want to get out there!
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

I started paddling tandem with a friend and once i got in in a solo OC1 boat I really haven't wanted to tandem again, except on special ocassions or to take out a beginner. And now that I am paddling C1, I really do not want to go back to OC1.

I am not sure about weight ranges for a large Burn, at 265 you might be better in a bigger C1 like an Everest or Karnali? The Burn is an edgy boat and your weight could effect the performance?

What year is the Burn that you are looking at? There were good changes to the boat in the 2010 and from everything I read and hear from friends that paddle it. Here is a good kayaker's review on the differences:http://www.brushymountainpublishing.com ... index.html

I have several friends that paddle the Burn 2010. One friend came from the Spanish fly and loves the Burn. He sits on a 7.25" saddle too. I am thinking about replacing my H3:255 (pre-burn) with a 2010 or newer large Burn, I am 185lbs.

Are you doing a bad thing? Well, that depends, I am sure some OC purist on this board would think so. Are you planning on trying harder stuff? I really enjoy running rapids down the meat and dry, versus skirting holes, blocking waves and dumping water. To me, surfing dry is more fun too and rolling is easier. There is no question in my mind that my C1 has made me a better and safer paddler in running bigger, longer rapids.

To me C1 is easier then OC1, but you may find yourself rolling more initially. You also need to be comfortable being in a skirt, some people do not like the confinement that a skirt adds. So it depends on what you want to do. Let us know what you decide.
Dfrog
c

Post by Dfrog »

Thank ya and it is a 2008.
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

I love OC1 but having started at the same time as my wife started k1, I believe k1 to be much easier to learn, if that is your main concern.

I still like oc1 better, more ascetically pleasing and better comfort for me.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
Dfrog
c

Post by Dfrog »

Well, got the burn and I am stoked. I have no idea what I am doing but there is a local group that gets together every tues for roll practice and i think I'll go. Good to here that K1 is a good place to start. I don't think that I'll ever be rid of the OC bug . Thanks guys for all the advice and support.