Big Dog Force OC1 shells roll off the production line (long)

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

bob mckee
C Boater

Big Dog Force OC1 shells roll off the production line (long)

Post by bob mckee »

Ok it's been a long time in the making but just in time for the Autumn rains and Kanumesse show I'm pleased announce the arrival of the Force OC1 from Big Dog.

There's been some changes and tweaks from the prototype that some of you may have seen or paddled over the past few months. I've listed those below.............

1) There's a good chunk more volume around the decks, the production boat will float higher and be more roomy, making life even easier on your favourite runs.

2) It's slightly longer, and a little bit wider. Basically more flesh has been added to the prototype bones all over. Again gives an even more user friendly boat.

3) Added a splash lip. This was one of the most requested features so it's been added.......the boat just got drier.

4) Grab handles have been turned around 90 degrees. Easier to both clip and grip onto.

The production boat keeps the speed, and tracking that was so nice. It's as forgiving as ever and it still boofs like a demon. Paddle this baby hard!

There's been some innovative work done on the outfitting. All the internal fittings are going to be moulded in plastic and bolted in. That means we're fitting pre-moulded made to measure side walls, a custom made saddle, and thwarts. This has some massive advantages for the end customer. Firstly it means you can just get in and paddle the boat with no messing about with glue. All you'll need to do is shape the padding on your saddle if you want it, stick in the self-adhesive foam provided for knee pads and off you go. The idea is to use the principles behind the kayak fitting kits you see around........we want OC1 paddlers to have the easy life if they want it too. Secondly as the parts are moulded from a standard tool it's going to mean nicely fitting internals everytime. Thirdly once the stuff is bolted in it takes away the worry of glue failure and that time old tradition of having to re-glue your outfitting every once in a while. Now, I'm sure there'll be some of you out there who will be thinking "I still like foam, I want foam outfitting". No problem, just unbolt the plastic internals and put your own foam in.....quick and easy. The price of the boat should allow you to do this without destroying your bank balance. Finally on the issue of weight......foam is surprisingly heavy. The plastic outfitting will not add any weight to the final boat.

As you've probably noticed in the photos we aren't using lacing to secure the airbags. This means you can really pump those bags up if you want. If you wanted to have lacing this is an easy thing to do yourself......simply cut the plastic and lace them up the way you would like.

So what about pricing? Well the Force OC1 is going to retail in the same price bracket as a creek kayak. That's right.....the same price as a kayak. So in the UK that's a price of £795 for a fully outfitted ready to paddle OC1 (airbags included). We want you guys to be able to pick up a boat, and paddle it basically "straight off the the peg" with the minimum amount of effort. Also Big Dog are trying to make OC1 just that little bit more accessible and appealing to the wider paddling community and that part of that strategy is to keep the price within peoples budgets.

I've picked up a Force production shell now.......when I get the chance I'll run a tape measure around it to get you some final specs.

The outfitting is just getting finished off. When I get that in there, I'll get some pictures and details online for you all. For now I'm working in foam land!

As soon as I get some action shots I'll post them on here.....in the meantime attached is a link to some pics of a shell in the yard! They're not the best photos but it's something. I'm still trying to work out how to post directly on the message board......

https://picasaweb.google.com/1054299602 ... ceOC1Shell

Feel free to hit me with any questions etc. UK paddlers look out for the Force at the Wet West Paddle Fest coming up next weekend.
Last edited by bob mckee on Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Acosi151
Pain Boater

Post by Acosi151 »

VERY NICE!

Can't wait for some outfitting detail and action shots. What a great time to be an open boater.. new toys just keep coming!
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Congrat's Bob... looks great... what colors will it be offered in? :lol:

Looking forward to seeing the new outfitting as well.

Cheers!
:D
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

wow. now that is a canoeyak! do you have any more detailed pics of plastic molded for outfitting? thanks!
PatrickOC1
C Guru

Post by PatrickOC1 »

Looked over the pics earlier was waiting on your color comments Craig :) .

795 fully outfitted, any Idea what the mark up will be this side of the pond, along with availability?
Berkshire Jack
Pain Boater

795 is in English Pounds

Post by Berkshire Jack »

Patrick,
I believe 795 pounds is approximately $1250 in US currency.
C1-er
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Nice.... US availability?
PatrickOC1
C Guru

Post by PatrickOC1 »

Thanks Berkshire, afrais that would be the case :cry:

Sbroam they have Force OC1s listed on Waldens Ridge I assume their free shipping doesnt pretain to boat freight though.
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

Looks good
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

US availability? that's a pretty kanoe
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
bob mckee
C Boater

Post by bob mckee »

US availability........you can pick one up from your Big Dog dealers. Both West and East coast. There aren't any production Force OC1s over there at all at the moment. Give it a few weeks for the next shipment of Big Dogs to head across the pond. In the meantime.....start pestering your dealers to get them in!

Craig....you'll be pleased to know they'll definitely be available in red :wink: along with the rest of the full range of colours that Big Dog do.......... :lol: yellows, blue, orange etc
SkeeterGuy86
Select Paddles Sponsored Paddler

Post by SkeeterGuy86 »

after looking at the photos Bob how is it outfitted?

i see a full saddle but dont see thigh hooks for the bulkhead so my guess would be straps?
SG86

here in the south east god paddles on the left and that's how he made our rivers ~ oc1paddlr

http://select-kayaks.com/en/paddles/canoe-raft/c1/
bob mckee
C Boater

Post by bob mckee »

There's a bit of detail on the outfitting in the novel I wrote above. Basically there is no outfitting in the pictures.

The boat is going to be fitted with made to measure moulded plastic internals. That means pre-moulded saddle with thigh hooks etc. There will be a foam pad ontop of the saddle for you to shape to your desire if you wanted. Pre-moulded sidewalls. We're trying to get the boat as ready to paddle off the peg as possible, so you can spend less time gluing and more time paddling. The internals will be bolted in. Simple and easy to fit, also easy to remove if you really wanted to switch to foam.

There'll be a foam fitting kit provided so you can just stick some self-adhesive knee pads in and off you go.

We felt it was about time that the OC1 paddlers had the same ease of just hopping it a boat and paddling like the kayakers have had for years.

Everything is designed with ease in mind to get you paddling more.

Oh yeah.......and airbags will be provided.
Eli
The Canoe Guru - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by Eli »

Looks awesome...take it off the carpet and scratch it up!

I am excited about easier accessibility for newbie outfitters!

Waldens Ridge Whitewater is carrying Big Dogs or you can contact Gavin Rains, the Eastern Rep (pm me for his number).
When in Doubt...Paddle Forward!
www.thecanoeguru.com
SkeeterGuy86
Select Paddles Sponsored Paddler

Post by SkeeterGuy86 »

bob mckee wrote:
We felt it was about time that the OC1 paddlers had the same ease of just hopping it a boat and paddling like the kayakers have had for years.

Everything is designed with ease in mind to get you paddling more.

Oh yeah.......and airbags will be provided.
now i like the sounds of that ... thanks to the Big Dog boat company

thanks Bob for keeping us updated

(any chance of a demo in the southeastern U.S.?)
SG86

here in the south east god paddles on the left and that's how he made our rivers ~ oc1paddlr

http://select-kayaks.com/en/paddles/canoe-raft/c1/