prelude full of water!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

coloradopaddler
C Guru

prelude full of water!

Post by coloradopaddler »

so, i've got a question about my prelude, which i really like paddling! when i roll it comes up full of water, is that normal for that boat? i was thinking about lining the sides with some foam to try to minimize the gunwales from scooping water up. is that what is going on? it is literally almost full when i get back upright. way more so than any other boat i've paddled.
thanks
In a canoe you don't just float down a river: you're part of it- a silent water creature responsive to every surge and flex of current, gliding like a fingertip over a naked green body. "The River Why" David James Duncan
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

What are you using for float bags? If you have them, are they held tight down against the bottom so there's no room for water under the bags?
coloradopaddler
C Guru

i do have float bags filling up all of the area in front of my bulkhead and the stern bag is on top of my feet. the cockpit area is just full when i get back up. to the point of having to get to shore very gingerly, not to mention quickly!
In a canoe you don't just float down a river: you're part of it- a silent water creature responsive to every surge and flex of current, gliding like a fingertip over a naked green body. "The River Why" David James Duncan
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Foam out that bugger... just make sure you can get out if need be.
Having as big as possible float bags helps (as does having them tied down well helps too).
You can score the sides of the insides of the mini cell to get it to fit. Cut out where knees and feet need to go too.

Even outfitted with side walls you'll have water when you roll... pump system might help there.

Enjoy.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

My prelude rolls wetter than other boats I've paddled. I think its because the Prelude doesn't have too much tumblehome, so as you roll it up it holds water in there pretty well. The Ion, Option and L'edge roll up MUCH drier. But my prelude would never be full after rolling, maybe half full at most.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

markzak wrote:My prelude rolls wetter than other boats I've paddled. I think its because the Prelude doesn't have too much tumblehome, so as you roll it up it holds water in there pretty well. The Ion, Option and L'edge roll up MUCH drier. But my prelude would never be full after rolling, maybe half full at most.
I concur... much like the Skeeter rolls up with much more water in it than does a SpanishFly. That's why the L'edge, Option/Ion were designed the way they were... as to not scoop water when rolling back up.
PAC wrote:Foam out that bugger... just make sure you can get out if need be.
that might help a bit... Jeff Young's boat is a good example of "I wonder how much foam can I actually get in this thing?" :lol:

Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
coloradopaddler
C Guru

i will foam out the sides then. thanks guys, i'm still learning the boat and wasn't sure if that was part of it or not. sweet boat though!
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

This info is getting a bit dated... like 2001 :lol: but it may be of some help to you... http://kayakoutfitting.com/tips/wwcanoe/index.html
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I can relate. I'm used to an Outrage and have been paddling an Ocoee lately (on the very rare times that I get out). The Ocoee rolls up full-to-the-brim compared to other boats, definitely putting me in struggle-to-shore mode.

I guess I could add some wall foam, but I really think I should get a pump. Too bad I don't have the skills, time or energy for that! :-? For either really.

Pat.
coloradopaddler
C Guru

smurf probably has more invested in foam for that boat than my whole boat cost me! it does look bomber though. i am going to start with one inch sheets and see if that helps. then i can always add another.
avlclimber
C Guru

Post by avlclimber »

Hmm. I moved from a viper 11 (with a lot of empty space between the airbags/around the saddle) to a Prelude and have been ASTOUNDED at how dry it is when it rolls up.

A slow/labored roll will scoop some water and I can come up with several inches of water (Far from full and still pretty dry)

With a quick roll, I end up with give-or-take an inch of water in the boat. When I check the depth of the water with my hand it's about to my first knuckle. Might be less than an inch, and with a small boat so rockered, that's not a lot of water at all. I have a fancy-schmancy double pump system, and about half of the time, rolling won't even trigger it to come on. I can roll to empty the water out of my boat.

Okay, you get the idea. so the difference? Idunno, it does have 3-4 inches of foam on the sides, nicely carved out away from your legs by the original owner. I also tend to have airbags inflated so that they crown a few inches over the height of the gunwales (rides high upside down.) ...and I weigh in at a buck thirty, sopping wet. In case the foam is the key, here are the pictures:

another:
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

I also foamed the side of the cockpit in and it did help, but wasn't quite enough for me. At the time my (poor) forward stroke wouldn't do so much to move it around when full the boat was a pig. I ended up putting a pump in there and it was really a treat. Would empty the boat in about 30 seconds.
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
Salkyrie

Post by Salkyrie »

OK, so my Prelude ends up the same...half full of water and a pig to paddle, it's foamed out and I have got a pump but I'm thinking of 'decking' it.
A friend of mine has done this to his Zoom but I'm waivering - should I shouldn't I?
The purest in me says no, the practical says yeah, just do it!

Would this turn my Prelude into...well, not sure... :wink:
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

A deck would keep some splash out, but would it prevent fill-up during a roll?

P.
Salkyrie

Post by Salkyrie »

Bobs' decks cover the whole boat...then you slap on a C1 neoprene deck and away you go! :D