Maxim and Option video edit

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Krikket... I can't speak in tongues mate... But it sounds like I'm gonna have to burn through some gates in your home land too... ;)
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

Tommy? Subtle?
Joe
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

Being dogmatic about any subject usually means you still have a lot learn.

Kelvin looks pretty smooth. I think there is at least one "class V paddler" that could learn a thing or two. It's certainly made me look at it a little differently... but I m not a class V boater.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Thanks coach Kelvin. The photos etc. will help, because "widening a turn" is new terminology to me, but I get it. Not sure about how a tighter angle leads to a wider turn though, but I like your approach of illistrating the the extremes before discussing the middle.

I'd say 5-6, the slicing of the blade as part of the turning strokes, is what I noticed most about the differences in the videos.

You say conservative tilt, as FullG responded to, but maybe at a particular point of the turn, i.e., not to early, because you show some pretty nice boat tilt in that video.

Thanks for clarifying your earlier critique.

Pat.
PatrickOC1
C Guru

Post by PatrickOC1 »

FullGnarlzOC wrote:Krikket... I can't speak in tongues mate... But it sounds like I'm gonna have to burn through some gates in your home land too... ;)
:o jumping the pond for a 6 pack...... krikket must have some dam good beer over there :wink:
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

FullGnarlzOC wrote:Craig - if your piloting the L'edge - your on sucka! :) 6-pack of Golden Monkeys for the winner - Don't worry I'll come to you here soon enough on your home course :) :)

Let me explain why I think craig should just go ahead and buy the 6-pack now, while applying it to this discussion and keeping this relevant(because I'm just in that kind of mood :) )

... - this is why I won't touch any gates when Craig and I race the great race of Maxim vs L'edge 2012.... Even if Craig doesn't touch any gates...I'm 26 years old, in peak shape, and I have the better boat for the job......

8) BOOOOM
"I am not going to exploit , for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience."-- Ronny Rayguns

:lol:

mmmmmm-mmmmm-mmm free beer... :P
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

I hear they have some great stuff beer wise across the pond - Regardless of what it would be - I'm sure it will taste great. I've been meaning to get over there anyways.

Kelvin - I just watched the video a few times again - And I can see what you are doing with ur blade on the turn - here is my question - strictly speaking in turns of speed - wouldn't it be more beneficial to just use foward strokes coupled with bow/crossbow draw to turn and propel the boat foward?

This discussion is great for everyone to read and chime in on - as what we really are discussing is a difference in style - I think with Kelvin coming forth with this 'progressive technique' - a lot of us, have something new to try out on the river.
OC One Blade
C Guru

Post by OC One Blade »

Some people grip a can, pop a top, and chug a beer. Others have tea time (pinky finger in the air). :D

Whatever floats your boat.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

FullGnarlzOC wrote:Krikket... I can't speak in tongues mate... But it sounds like I'm gonna have to burn through some gates in your home land too... ;)
Tommy, everything I write is standard english; no babelfish required ;)

Anyway, I tell you what, If you can beat me in a C1 slalom race, I'll [make a valiant attempt at] eat[ing] my hat*! Howzat?

*It's a derby/bowler hat, which someone rather inconsiderately sat on whilst I was (perusing the bar somewhat heavily) at a masqurade ball; it's only really good for eating (or the bin) now, but somehow seems too felty to be appetising.
I daresay I could cause quite the spectacle trying to scoff it!
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

No deal. I don't wear skirts. OC-1.... what are you worried about
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I'm hoping the revolution (the race between Craig and Tommy) is televised ... at least on this channel. Someone should be out there with a video camera.
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

I just watched a hack then a read a hacks e mail dam i think my canoeing just got dumber
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

http://vimeo.com/13996267

Haha I would even race against this guy
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

ya except you paddle in the 'i wear a skirt' class - btw that was a year ago... which on the Eddy McGnarlz timeline--is an eternity

Where are you videos of you putting yourself out there for the world to see? Who are you? Have we met?

...Looks like I'll have to head south for more free-beer - and you can bet your arse I'll back up running my mouth like this.

:)
Kelvin
C Guru

Post by Kelvin »

Tommy,
I hear they have some great stuff beer wise across the pond - Regardless of what it would be - I'm sure it will taste great. I've been meaning to get over there anyways.
Anytime mate...
here is my question - strictly speaking in turns of speed - wouldn't it be more beneficial to just use foward strokes coupled with bow/crossbow draw to turn and propel the boat foward?
As you will see when the articles are live I am not prescribing a way to paddle, only giving people something to experiment with and maybe add to their paddling.

So, an answer to your question:
in terms of speed, using the boat's edge will often come out on top. The edge needs to be controlled or guided with the blade. Loads of spin momentum only controlled in the front half of the boat will generally spin and stall the hull, forward power on the inside will often be needed to prevent the hull from skidding backwards. (Stopping the boat and then starting it again.) Using these tight turns is often appropriate on the river but the majority of the work is your guns not the hull. Feathering the blade blade behind the hip prevents the stern from skidding out and keeps the edge alive, carrying speed through the turn.

All I ask is that paddlers give it some thought and time on the river, you never know, it may work!

Kelvin.
http://www.sweet-skills.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;