An appeal to the CBoats community...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

An appeal to the CBoats community...

Post by Sir Adam »

I'm on the lookout for a few boats still to round out the collection... if you see one of these for sale, have one for sale (or donation!) please let me know.

Aerobat (preferably low cut)
Any Noah boat designed as a C1 rec boat (Atlantis, Lava, Scimitar, etc...)
Shaggy Jedi
Perception Sage (I have one but it is no longer floats)

I'm "missing" a Meltdown and Ceemweaver too, but finances willing hope to have those built in the next few years.

It's getting to be quite the collection. As always if anyone wants to come try out old boats let me know - the few that have all had a great time!
Keep the C!
Adam
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Well, I converted a Noah Lava into a Magma, the kayak version. I know there is an unaltered Magma in existence in the SE, so if you can find it, you can convert it to C-1. But consider..... people who paddled the c-1 version, only 24" wide with rather sharp chines, tumblehome slab sides, and very little initial or final stability, HATED it.

It was a mystery to me how Vladimir could design a rather flat-bottomed boat with so little stability. Then I realised that all the kayaks made prior to that time, including Noah, were quite elliptical and had low initial stability. That was what Vlad was used to. He could edge the Magma very easily and those edges would carve brilliantly. The Lava/Magma is fast, too. But the c-1 version was not a serious river runner, just a platform for frequent rolling practice. Doesn't roll easily either. It is actually at its most stable when upside down.

Vladimir used to show up at my boat inspection station for the Southeastern Slalom with his personal Magma, with temporary FG extensions on the bow and stern to meet the 4 meter length requirement. He did pretty well.

Anyway, the Lava was so unsuccessful that only a must-have-one-of-everything fanatic would spend time and hope looking for one. You might try for a full range of Atlantis's instead. They changed significantly over time. Much better river runners.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Understood - and though I expect to track down an aerobat at some point, I'm not sure I'll ever find any of the Noah boats... but if they are out there, I'm interested (the reason for the post).

It is quite an experience to pull down 5 or 6 (or 12) boats from through out C1 "history" and paddle them back to back. Some of the old boats are better than we tend to recall... and some of them really aren't!
Keep the C!
Adam
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

Hey, I still owe you a boat, the 911, and I think I know where I can grab a sage as well. I need to plan a trip down the gorge so lets see when I can do that.

Adam,
If you happen to be coming near Boston give me a call.
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
disqo
Pain Boater

Post by disqo »

Our summer camp has a fleet of old Jetis in a basement. We could let them go at a pretty reasonable price for people that are interested.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I'm sticking to boats that have been in production (not one offs), designed as C1's (hence no Jeti's), and for recreational use (not racing). I just don't have room for everything, unfortunately (as it is I'm closing in on 40 boats, if you include flatwater and inflatables).
Keep the C!
Adam