Real Open Boating

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

billhay4
Pain Boater

Real Open Boating

Post by billhay4 »

Stolen from BoaterTalk: http://www.evilchili.com/videos/35205/F ... e_Canoeing
Lots to learn here.
Bill
jatakasawa
C Guru

Post by jatakasawa »

I've seen this floating around the web and being heavily criticized. To each their own, man. I'm sure those canoeists find challenge and satisfaction the same way we do with whitewater. Not my cup of tea, but I try to keep an open mind.
Chester the Brace Monkey.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

:o Anyone who has seen Karen Knight's freestyle routine on the Ford/Dickert/Foote video "Drill Time" can only feel admiration.

You have to see some paddling endeavors done at the highest level to understand and appreciate them. If someone's only vision of slalom was derived from watching me blunder around a course, where would slalom be as a sport?
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Boat control- they got it
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

ezwater wrote::o Anyone who has seen Karen Knight's freestyle routine on the Ford/Dickert/Foote video "Drill Time" can only feel admiration.

You have to see some paddling endeavors done at the highest level to understand and appreciate them. If someone's only vision of slalom was derived from watching me blunder around a course, where would slalom be as a sport?
truly

however this performance was not near that caliber. There's a great many whitewater paddlers (here) who routinely do the technical components of this routine while negotiating whitewater.
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    Acosi151
    Pain Boater

Post by Acosi151 »

Colbert Raport was slamming this video last week. They're making Freestyle Canoeing the official sport of the show ever since they gave up on speed skating.

Dude's got control.. go jump in your Old Town Disco 168 and try to do any of this (just make sure you don't have a soundtrack, or someone videoing :D )
    FullGnarlzOC
    C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

I've been working on my very own routine...gonna get the gf to video tape it, and put out an edit very shortly.... please be patient. I know freestyle canoeing is what everyone has been waiting for.

I've even incorporated a roll in my routine...as the second half of it involves me being full of water to complete these advanced freestyle maneuvers...

PS - The soundtrack is what freestyle canoeing is all about....without it is like having a figure skater dance to silence.
    http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
    Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
    Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
    oopsiflipped
    CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

wow, did anyone actually watch the whole thing? whatdya think the after party is like with that crowd?
    TheKrikkitWars
    CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

oopsiflipped wrote:wow, did anyone actually watch the whole thing? whatdya think the after party is like with that crowd?
    Like a wake... With no alcohol and no family arguments.
    Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
    the great gonzo
    Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

TheKrikkitWars wrote:
    oopsiflipped wrote:wow, did anyone actually watch the whole thing? whatdya think the after party is like with that crowd?
    Like a wake... With no alcohol and no family arguments.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
    DougB
    CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

I hate to say it, but I have to agree with the caption on the hosting site.
    oldschoolyaker
    c

video

Post by oldschoolyaker »

Your right it's not hair and teeth whitewater action but, lets see you guys at that guys age show that much boat control, lean your boat over that much and still keep it dry. It's not for everyone but if that guy and his friends enjoy it let them be, it's still paddling and lot better then sitting home and watching TV. Don't get me wrong, freestyle is not my thing either but I think it's cool he has something he is so into he'll practice and work at. Go old dude and keep it up.
    TommyC1
    C Guru

Post by TommyC1 »

A few of things to note.

1. When Marc Ornstein is not teaching or competing, building the sweetest paddles you never want to abuse on whitewater, or designing and building some of the nicest quiet water canoes you'll ever see (that ain't no Discovery kids), he's paddling a Viper 11.

2. The free style techniques as defined by the ACA come in part out of slalom and were codified by Harold Deal and Tom Foster amoungst others. While I'm not crazy about the performance aspect I have been lucky enough to get some instruction in those techniques from Karen Knight, Marc Ornstein, Charlie Wilson and others. I tell you straight it has helped my whitewater paddling immensely.

3. Tommy Gnarls, I was thinking the same thing, with three or four bilge pumps spraying water in the air after you roll up. I'm thinking Dr. Feelgood by Motley Crew as the sound track. Do it! Make me proud!