Prelude VS Nitro

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

I've paddled a Nitro once, and I agree with you in that it is stable to the point of being boring at times (although I sure appreciated it during an unintentional side surf)

Like Tommy said, the Viper 11 is a good boat in between the Prelude and the Nitro. Ocoee would be as well, but I think Bell stopped making boats so you'd have to pick one up used. I can't really speak for the rest of the Esquif lineup, but I know people like the Detenator.

Come down for the Savage release this weekend. Tons of open boaters who I'm sure won't mind you jumping in a boat for a bit. You're welcome to take a spin in my Viper 11.
Chris Loomis
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

I'd agree... that an Ocoee/Viper/??? would be the next best logical step before going to a Prelude/Solito/Maxim/Zoom/??? i.m.o.

Detonator isn't a bad boat by any means and a lot of people really like and still buy them new... it's just not my cup of tea.

I wished you lived closer so you could try a pulled L'edge... but I'm pretty sure I have the only one in existence at the moment. :lol:

The Option might also be another good boat for you.

How's that for not just pimping one brand? :wink:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

I agree Craig - next Logical step would be Viper 11/Ocoee/Det

I went from ME(15.5ft) to XL13(13ft) to Det(10ft) to Maxim(8.5ft) - and felt like that was a great way to go about it
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

I didn't realize there were steps.

I wouldn't buy another royalex boat unless it was a hades of a lot faster than a maxim or detonator.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

ian123 wrote:I didn't realize there were steps.
There doesn't have to be... but it doesn't hurt... especially if a little speed is part of the learning curve. :wink:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
PatrickOC1
C Guru

Post by PatrickOC1 »

Nitro was really the first Solo for me, picked it up used at a good price and have ran it since november probably twice a week on average, great at first but lost its luster slowly. I have tried a few of the dramaticly shorter boats I tried an Ion and the original Blackfly spent more time in the blackfly and just felt very awkward with the bow spending so much time under water, the Ion felt alot more natural to me, which was probably due to the "Bulbous Bow" that I am used to. bulkhead was a bit loose on me in both of those too so that doesnt help my stability feeling.
Ive paddled a Madriver outrage this too with outfitting that just wasnt right, no foot pegs on this one..... I have a fairly reliable roll in the Nitro Ive only swam out of it twice so im comfortable with that, its always the speed that gets me I do need to get out and try a few boats (or alot of boats) I should be able to get my hands on a viper 11 up here I believe ive seen one around same with a detonator so ill probably start there, ill probably hit you up FullGnarlz see if I can get a test run of whatever you have to offer when i get the gas and time. I really appreciate all the input and now i have like 20 boats to think about but I guess thats how it goes.
PatrickOC1
C Guru

Post by PatrickOC1 »

I have no problem beating myself up on 2-3 runs getting used to a new boat If its going to pay off in the end
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Full G,

Viper-loving Einar is a great ambassador for canoeing on the West Coast, lots of time on the rivers all over the place with lots of different circles of people - Mohawk should just send him a Maxim (especially considering how his last Viper came apart quickly)!

Patrick, good advice here about trying different boats in between the Nitro & Prelude. Preludes aren't for everyone. That said, what you'll like depends entirely on you, your athletiscm, your goals, and especially how much time you'll be spending in the boat - if you're going to boat every week most of the year, by all means jump to something like Prelude and enjoy toughin' it out for a bit, but if you'll be paddling one day every few weekends during the summer, maybe move to something less extreme. Viper and Outrage are probably the most common boats for a next step.

If you like some speed in your hull, I'm surprised you don't like the Outrage, don't be put off by somebody else's bad outfitting. And maybe try a Spark. Those are the soft-chined alternatives to Viper/Ocoee. Given your description, I'd suggest those over slow, little creek boats like the Maxim or even the L'Edge (unless your intention is to get into class IV creeking).

Patrick.
Last edited by yarnellboat on Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jatakasawa
C Guru

Post by jatakasawa »

That last post was a great point. What type of water will you be paddling the most? I know NH and the New England area in general, have a ton of creeks...but the geology makes them steep with sharp, boat-beating rocks.

Maybe thinking what you want out of the boat and what material you want the boat to be made of will help you narrow down the decision.
Chester the Brace Monkey.
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

I wouldn't say all the rock up here is super sharp... Coarse and abrasive may be better adjectives for it, at least with the creeks I've run. There are definitely some sharp rocks though.

Patrick: If you ever get up to maine or can convince me to come boat in NH, I'd be happy to let you take my Prelude for a spin. She has plenty of "experience." And welds. It would at least show you what a Prelude paddles like.
Anything running down in NH?
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
PatrickOC1
C Guru

Post by PatrickOC1 »

Jata- yeah we're dealing with alot of granite out here Im not really on the level of steep creeking id like to be but im not quite there yet, I like the more technical runs though and would like to work my way into class 4 sans swimming.

TNBound- There isnt much going on at the moment nothing worth the drive you would have to the put in If you ever get down this way or at least this side of Portland let me know I would deffinetly like a test drive