Anyone paddled both a Slasher and a Gyramax?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

redbeardcanoeworks
C Boater

Anyone paddled both a Slasher and a Gyramax?

Post by redbeardcanoeworks »

Ok,
So I paddle really old boats, I kind of like the older style. I have both a Slasher and a Gyramax in the stable and have paddled both, but honestly I've only been in a C-1 for about a year. For those of you with more experience than I, what do you think are the differences/advantages between these boats? What other boats would I like in this longer style?
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

Well, if you like old, long, plastic C-1s you should definitely try a Dagger Cascade.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Have you tried any of the Long OC1's... there's way more of them about, and it's a "logical" progression.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Which do you enjoy more? If you like the Slasher more, you might enjoy the Atom. I never fell in love with the Gyramax, though I did buy a Cascade - only kept it about a year. However, I really liked the Slasher and paddled one hard for a number of years (crushed the stern for squirts), but never fell in love with the Atom (though it looks related...) You might tray a slalom boat, too - the old ones (before the rules let them get shorter) can be had cheap.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

sbroam wrote:You might tray a slalom boat, too - the old ones (before the rules let them get shorter) can be had cheap.
They got shorter in two steps, 4m (13'2") to 3.7m (12'2") and 3.7m to 3.5(11'6")... either generation of the longer, older boats boats should be cheap as chips; but finding a 3.7m boat in good condition should be somewhat easier.

Slalom boats are FUN! [Piroettes away into the distance]
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
hankrankin
C Guru

Post by hankrankin »

http://boatertalk.com/gear/gear-detail. ... =57823[url]

here's some older c1 i found on boatertalk. this same guy has a hahn and a ultramax for sale.[/url]