Does anyone know a Steve Batham?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Does anyone know a Steve Batham?

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I know this is a bit of a long shot, but there do seem to be a fair few ex-international slalomists lurking here.

As documented elsewhere I recently aquired slalom boat*, specifically an ExtraBat**, which as I began to clean it up revealed a number of stickers: A matched pair of Llangollen stickers, a Union Jack sticker on the deck behind the cockpit; and then... in small letters on the right hand side of the cockpit "Steve Batham".

The name rings a bell, but I don't know when or where I heard it... So does anyone know anything about the previous owner of my boat?

*The orginal plan was to cut it down*** to make a narrower 3.5m boat, but seen as the extrabat is considered the best of the Lugbill-Hearn boats, I'm going to replace the cockpit combing and paddle it a bit before I do anything rash.

** Specifically one in marroon with a pair of diagonal stripes and the external seam in royal blue, if that jogs any memories.

***Or more correctly cut it down to reduce the stern volume, and then quarter it and remove a dart from the center of the bow and a strip from the center of the stern to reduce the length and width; and then build up the wings if it's actually good enough to warrant getting it to be competition legal.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I personally think the Fanatic and Fanatic 2 are their best work, with the Extrabat a close 3rd. But they are all great boats.

From your description I'd guess someone on the UK team in the late 80's / early 90's... but I only say that as my old Ace III had similar markings, and was a UK boat....
Keep the C!
Adam
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Sir Adam wrote:I personally think the Fanatic and Fanatic 2 are their best work, with the Extrabat a close 3rd. But they are all great boats.

From your description I'd guess someone on the UK team in the late 80's / early 90's... but I only say that as my old Ace III had similar markings, and was a UK boat....
That figures, I live about 40 minutes from Llangollen in termtime, and until the popularisation of artificial courses, it was the center of the UK's slalom coaching and the "home" of team GB; it's still the home of the UK's only remaining slalom boat manufacturer (and hosts the only international race with a [slightly unfair] reputaion for unpleasant vertical pins).

I'm sure I've heard His name somewhere before though, this will bug me until I work it out...

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

I believe there are 14 versions of the yearly calendar that different groups follow. Which one are you using, David?

:D
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

Oops. 12. My new glasses (bifocals) should get here soon.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Thanks, I know Chris Bolton (who he was paddling C2 with at that event) so I'll enquire there.

Small world in the C1 community eh?