Amherst, MA

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Longboatin
CBoats Addict

Amherst, MA

Post by Longboatin »

Hey, might be heading up to MA to pick up a boat. Any boatin opportunities aroun that area in June? For longboats of course :D
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

http://www.zoaroutdoor.com/schedule.htm

The Dryway (#5 Dam) is exciting Class II-IV all the way down. People usually try to run it at least twice in a day, since it is shorter and doesn't release as often as Fife Brook The Fife Brook section is 9 miles (I think) of class II fun followed by the Zoar gap, which is a fantastic ( and benchmark) Class III Rapid. Both of them are good runs for any kind of boat.

Have fun!
Shep
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

hmmm

Post by Longboatin »

thanks for the ideas Shep. Bin down dryway once, but crashed at dragon tooth. i def need to get back there an make that rapid.
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Dragons Tooth is certainly the scariest looking! Both times I ran it, I got through very wet but upright. I've had a lot more carnage at Dunbar Brook. I think I need to learn a little more respect. :wink:

Shep
TommyC1
C Guru

Post by TommyC1 »

Other than the Deerfield everything is dependent on rain.
If it rains there's the Quabog, the Millers, the Farmington, the Ashuelot, the Westfields and a bunch of creeks.
The Northeast Paddlers Message Board is likely the best place to ask. Lots of folks in that area on that board.
http://www.npmb.com/cms2/e107_plugins/forum/forum.php
matt1
c

Post by matt1 »

i live in amherst..let me know if there is any local knowledge that i can help you out with..
i will prob be paddling fife brook sunday with my 5 year old nephew in the boat.

dryway is running sat sun and mon, i believe, but i wont be able to make it.