Mohawk thigh retainer system

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Hans Vidkjer
Pain Boater

Post by Hans Vidkjer »

Hey - what do you guys think of this system? I've always used a double strap, mike yee style setup. I have a viper on loan that has the thigh retainer system, and, although I was skeptical about it, it doesn't seem too bad. I'm just learning to roll, so I don't feel I can really make a good judgment on that aspect (other than I didn't immediately fall out when upside down). Anyway, I'd be interested in opinions, experiences, etc.
Thanks,
Hans
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

As I remember it, the double straps were much more secure and more comfortable for me.
In order to feel secure with that lap belt, I had to tighten it real tight and push into it so hard that it wasn't comfortable. That said, it worked good enough to leave it as it was.

BTW- you can make me an offer on that boat if you want it. :wink: I'll be fine with the one I have left.
Larry
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

I don't want to knock the guys at Mohawk, as I like them and their boats. That said, if I were ordering a boat that I wanted to be able to roll, I would order their "extreme" outfitting, not the lap strap. I would very much like to hear Richard's opinion, though, 'cause I think he's a straight shooter, and certainly few people have more experience with it than he does. I also wonder what outfitting iRolled and Eddy have in their boats.

Shep
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I've had it in two boats. I really liked it. It came in my new Probe11 many years ago. I'm short & a knee would pop out when I rolled. I think I added 1" to the backrest to move me forward. That fixed it. Easy in & out of the boat & secure enough to roll.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

It's good, but because it passes over the thighs at 90 degrees, it does not seem to provide the balance between "just-snug" control when I'm kneeling at rest, versus well-distributed support along the length of the thigh when I'm upside down. The traditional system with separate straps running diagonally from between the knees, slanting back over the thighs to the sides of the boat, appears to me to do the best job that can be achieved with that little strapping. The Mohawk system may be one of the best one-strap-straight-across systems, but I'm sceptical of any one strap approach.
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

The single thigh retainer system is pretty good.I like the double less then the single. One of the keys for either one to work is having the saddle fit you pretty good (time to trim) I can roll with either system as long as the saddle fits me. If your saddle is to tall seems easier to just fall out. Now the extreme this is my preferred outfitting in a long boat (you know 10 or 11 footer)
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

I've had Mike Yee, Mohawk Thigh retainer, and a bulkhead...

each of the 3 has distinct advantages.... I'd prob go with the Thigh retainer over double straps now for a number of reasons. #1 easy to adjust for multiple people. #2 keeps you in the boat very well, #3 can be as tight as you want to make it...

The thigh retainer is the closest thing to a bulkhead without being an actual bulkhead.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
clarion
C Guru

Post by clarion »

Anyone have a quick fix to keep an older Mohawk thigh retainer from slipping a tad at the buckle teeth? It's not a big deal but if it's an easy fix I'd like to do it. Otherwise I might upgrade to a new double retainer at some point.
It AIN'T bent.
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

After putting the tail of the thigh retainer strap through the d ring double it back through the buckle
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
avlclimber
C Guru

Post by avlclimber »

Has anyone tried the mohawk system in other boats?

I am considering dropping the saddle and lap belt from my old viper into an Ocoee.

The ocoee currently has a single thigh strap on each leg, and I don't like it. I either need to reposition it and hope it's better, finagle a second strap into the system, or buy some mike-yee style straps.

I am considering dropping the whole mohawk system I am used to using into the boat. Has anyone done this, and what did you think? having used the straps for a bit, I definately don't like fishing them off the soggy boat bottom and strapping them on one at a time while I float sideways downstream. The hop-in-and-go of the mohawk Lap belt is a big plus.

Thoughts?
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

FullGnarlzOC wrote:The thigh retainer is the closest thing to a bulkhead without being an actual bulkhead.
Is that a taticit admitance that a bulkhead is better than the mowhawk retaining strap for non-rental boats?
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I had it in a Blue Hole Sequel. It was just as good in there as it was in the Probe.
roscoe
c

Post by roscoe »

I'm using the Mohawk single strap system in a Mad River Outrage. I have a roll. The one thing I did change was I got rid of the Yakima toe blocks and went with North Water toe blocks. With the new toe blocks I think its a great system.
http://www.northwater.com/html/products ... locks.html
Ross
MrTgrips
CBoats Addict

Post by MrTgrips »

I installed a Mohawk Double (wide) strap saddle in an old Mad River Fantasy I found for cheap and un-outfitted. I thought it was the bomb at the time and it worked well. I loved the "jump in and go" of that system. Almost as easy as a bulkhead. The only thing I had to compare it to at the time was a single thigh strap saddle system stock from Dagger in an Ovation.
My OC'ing lately has been in a Pyranha Prelude with a bulkhead, which is definitely the BOMB. :)
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

single thigh retainer

Post by ohioboater »

I've used the single retainer Mohawk saddle system for probably 7 or 8 years now. I love it - instant in and out, no fiddling with straps. Essentially an adjustable bulkhead.

I've only come loose while upside down a couple times in all those years, and every time it was because I moved my foot off of one of the pegs.

All that said, I could see where the system might not work as well if you're either very small or very large. I'm 5'10" and 165 lbs.