I don't like kayaking...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Thus proving, yet again, that in-jokes and subtleties don't do well here on the inter-webz... at least until you've mastered the use of "emoticons" :wink: or embedding images.

We all do tend to take ourselves a bit too seriously as CBoaters, it just manifests itself in different ways.

Time to go paddle (flat) water for me. Sure, I'd prefer a nice rapid, but access in front of the house with no drive makes it perfect for this moment.
Keep the C!
Adam
Paddler
Pain Boater

Post by Paddler »

I get the joke, I just can't call myself a paddler if I didn't have some snark back-talk.

In regards to loss of feeling in a sea kayak, that's likely because you don't do it as much as you C-boat. I canoe, but I mostly kayak, so I can sit in my "butt boat" (to use the preferred nomenclature) for far longer than my whirlwind. It's mostly a matter of your muscles stretching into that position. After I've been canoeing for several days I can last much longer, but if I've been out of it for a few months that kneeling position is harsh on my ankles and knees.

When I first started kayaking numbness was a constant issue, but I can't think of the last time that I went numb in my K-1. But if I haven't been in my open boat in awhile I experience a type of numbness that can only be described as unholy (on several occasions I've had to flip over just to get out of the thing).

Again, I get the joke but there is nothing worse than a conversation that goes in circles with no outside antagonist. Didn't mean to offend... I think.
The line will become apparent
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

Mark my words...the future of kayaking is with windshield wipers.
Chris Loomis
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Paddler wrote:... After I've been canoeing for several days I can last much longer...
e'nuff
  • :wink:
    • said
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    Paddler
    Pain Boater

Post by Paddler »

ZING!
    The line will become apparent
    FullGnarlzOC
    C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

I hit the first roll i tried. C to C, and can sweep roll too. theres nothing to it. to be honest, i don't think it really should be called a roll, it should be called a 'flip'
    http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
    Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
    Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
    FullGnarlzOC
    C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

and i'll outright say it - canoe is an inferior boat in whitewater. there are several thing that the canoe does better. but for the most part, an inferior boat that requires a superior paddler.

and as for getting splashed in the face... in a canoe, i dont get splashed if i dont want to get splashed, it's all in the control. kayaking its almost like u dont have a choice - it just like...splash in face. splash in face. splash in faceeeeeeee
    Cheeks
    CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

Why do most people kayak rather than canoe? In no particular order:

1) Canoe is not considered a solo craft, whereas a kayak is
    2) Kayaking is easier to learn initially
    3) Kayaks are cheaper and easier to obtain
    4) There are more kayakers willing to teach new kayakers

There are definitely some things canoes have more difficulty doing than kayaks, i.e. running huge drops or continuous big water, but for what the vast majority of the whitewater community runs, the Class I-III weekend warrior stuff, I'll be damned if I can think of anything a kayak can do that a canoe can't. The reason there are so many kayaks are because of the reasons above.
    Chris Loomis
    Sir Adam
    CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Though I'm hesitant to toss more fuel on the fire, there are a few more reasons:
    - many more folks that kayak, and promote kayaking and share the knowledge
    -ease of outfitting. Many boats now are hop in and go... while CBoats of all stripes tend to require modification / personalization (hence all the outfitting threads here). Some folks like that. A lot do not.
    Keep the C!
    Adam
    Cheeks
    CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

Adam -

While I definitely agree that outfitting can be a turn off to some people, I was talking more about why people initially choose a kayak. I actually did some market research on it for a project this winter, and outfitting didn't really factor in. But your first reason is dead on, more people doing it means a bigger market and more people to help first timers break in.
    Chris Loomis
    sbroam
    CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Tenzing wrote:Mark my words...the future of kayaking is with windshield wipers.
    yep.

we have a wave here on my home river that, at the right level, is a fast, bouncy, face splashing hoot - in a kayak its like driving in a carwash without a windshield. In a canoe, I'm high enough to actually see :-)

And the "feet falling asleep in a kayak" - of course its because I don't paddle one enough, but aren't kayaks supposed to be *comfortable*?! and canoes *uncomfortable*?! ;-) Its probably the outfitting that needs tweaking in my sea kayak, wait, what, tweak *kayak* outfitting?! All i've got in my favorite flat water canoe is a cane seat (back) and a maple slat (when paddling solo). :-O

I think for these cyclical threads we can just numerically code our responses to make these conversations more efficient. Per my records my two replies above should be 63 and 97.
    philcanoe
    C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

....it's not the person, it's the boat.

I like a lot of kayakers, and they make good girl friends.
      ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
      Rand C1
      C Guru

Post by Rand C1 »

I don't paddle with you guys , I paddle with kayakers, and thats not uncommon.
      Rand

Wouldn't mind though
      FullGnarlzOC
      C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

I paddle with mostly kayakers too. they are great to have around for all sorts of reasons. I just don't like doing what is called 'kayaking'

i dont like getting splashed when i dont feel like it. Take today for instance... we did Stonycreek River, class III+... I wanted to work on my tan...but not too much. Water might just cause me to get burnt... so I spent most of the day not getting my shoulders wet. Also - there were girls on the water... so I wanted to keep my hair looking GQ under my hockey helmet...all of this stays dry in a canoe if you feel like keeping them dry.... a kayak...not so much. This displeases me.
      Longboatin
      CBoats Addict

oooooooooonnnooooooooo

Post by Longboatin »

Ah...hockey helmet and GQ? I think hockey helmet might be more MR :P