Outfitting "OPTIONS"

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

YTcanoe
C Guru

Outfitting "OPTIONS"

Post by YTcanoe »

Looking for advice from other OPTION owners.

I currently have the saddle out of mine for some mods. Now would be a good time to lower the saddle if I'm going to.

Has anyone lowered? I'm thinking an inch? Will it really make any noticeable difference?
Comfort wise it won't bother me, but being deeper might affect rolling slightly and give up a little leverage. I know I should just paddle it for awhile, but I'd be able to do a much better cut with it out of the boat (especially with my widening the saddle two inches).

I'm far away from my other boats, can't remember their heights.

Also, I did one run with the stock outfitting (it's nice, clean, basic) and found I couldn't handle the narrow stance. I definately need to cut into some sidewall foam. I'm curious if others found this. I felt I had a lack of control (but maybe I just suck).

Was also quite loose in the outfitting. I'll give a fair review when the boat is fitted to me. However, I see great potential. The boat is faster than expected, pretty dry, rides over huge waves, and cuts through big,ugly holes and likes surfing.

Thanx
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I outfitted ESP's Option at ALF. Get with him for pics.
ESP
C Guru

Post by ESP »

With the help of smurfwarrior, hip pads and a 3/4" shim behind the back was installed. The shim pushed me into the bulkhead so that I am nice and tight in the boat. The hip pads have made a significant difference in control. I also had to shave the top edges off the pedestal to release pressure from the inner thighs (circulation). Recently, I also put foam inside of the knees to push them out as far as possible and am considering widening the seat. I don't know of anyone who has lowered their seat because the boat is very stable and predictable.
SkeeterGuy86
Select Paddles Sponsored Paddler

Post by SkeeterGuy86 »

i know of 1 person that has lowered the saddle in an Option ... i think his cboats name is WoozyMoose ... im not sure on what the difference is but i would start by seeing if he would post
SG86

here in the south east god paddles on the left and that's how he made our rivers ~ oc1paddlr

http://select-kayaks.com/en/paddles/canoe-raft/c1/
woozymoose
c

Post by woozymoose »

I cut down the saddle on my option to about six inches at ALF. The upside to this was that it gave the boat more control over the boat and stability by lowering the center of gravity. The downside is that it changes the angle that your knees fit into the bulkhead and is harder to escape from when you swim. This can be fixed by cutting the bulkhead, but I have just been too lazy to.
YTcanoe
C Guru

Post by YTcanoe »

Hi Moose,

My concern with lowering the saddle is that I'll find myself too deep in the boat and it would be detrimental to rolling.
Do you ever "catch" yourself on the gunnels?

I think I'll take an 1 1/2 inch off.
I've laminated one inch foam to each side of the saddle, cutting it down a hair will leave me a better bonded edge between pieces. Then a 1/2 inch piece on top will be a nice finish with less chance of the vertical pieces pulling apart over time. (Another piece later if I find it low).
horizongfx
CBoats Addict

Maximum

Post by horizongfx »

For maximum comfort and control, get your knees as close to the chines of the boat as possible, whatever it takes, Cutting out side wall foam shimming the inside of the thigh hooks, whatever.
A wider stance in the boat = more stability and greater control in all situations. :wink: 8)
For me; boating brings me closer to to something divine, and in a open canoe I'm 8 Inches closer.
...........O
......(___|/____)
............/.............
woozymoose
c

Post by woozymoose »

I have just recently learned how to roll. I don't yet have a concept of exactly how easy or hard the option is to roll, because it is the only boat I have rolled. Since I have nothing to compare it to in that regard, all I can say is that I have rolled the option with a six inch saddle. I do not regret cutting down my saddle. I feel that it has given me more stability and control without really sacrificing maneuverability. Obviously I have lost some leverage, but I would prefer to be as low as I can anyways.
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Post by eddyhops »

YTcanoe wrote: I think I'll take an 1 1/2 inch off.
From a pragmatic view I've never understood the concern with cutting seating areas of outfitting. If you don't like the new fit, glue it back in.
JD
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

I agree. all this stress about cutting off too much.
IMO it's easier to add foam than cut it off. So cut away, no worries!
1/2 foam is easy to find, and the 1/8'- 1/4" skins are dirt cheap and do a great job of shimming and covering up hack jobs
Larry
sandyos
c

Post by sandyos »

I am going to pull the bulkhead saddle to widen the back half to 8 inches, lower the foot braces and install a pump under the saddle. Once I have made these modifications I will re-install the bulkhead and will pad out the front to push my knees out a bit and will probably add some length to the thigh-hooks for a tighter fit. I am thinking about adding hip pads? I will try to post pictures when I am finished.

Sandy
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

eddyhops wrote: From a pragmatic view I've never understood the concern with cutting seating areas of outfitting. If you don't like the new fit, glue it back in.
The key is to make nice, clean cuts. If you butcher it too much, glueing it back together gets to be a pain.

Now, from a manufacturer's stand point, it's a lot easier for me to give people 'too much' foam and let them cut it out...
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com