I don't like C-1ing (now Redline vs. Fink)

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

yarnellboat wrote:It sounds like I should also buy Rick's Remix 79 for a more enjoyable experience. I wonder if they take the same skirt?

Pat.
The R-79 cockpit measures 20" at widest point x 34" long (outside measurements.) I've been using a Snapdragon "L" deck, (and "L" tunnel to accommodate my chubby little tummy.) Depth of the cockpit is around 13 - 14" where the thighs are.

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

yarnellboat wrote:...I'll probably keep one of the Redline or Score, just in case, but it sounds like I should also buy Rick's Remix 79 for a more enjoyable experience at this point, you're a convincing bunch - I wonder if they take the same skirt?

Pat.
Not quite... A couple of week's use of the skirt that fits my Score (and Ultra-Clean, Whiplash, and sea kayak before that) broke the rand... [It was an old kevlar Whetstone skirt - got my money's worth many times over.] Just a little too small. I bought a Skirtworks (their tracing is of my boat) with long tunnel and custom offset and that fits great on the Remix (and acceptably on the Score). Skirtworks also repaired my old skirt for a reasonable fee.

As for a "larger Redline" - I'm not sure. I think you are going to enjoy something with some hull speed and adequate size. For me, at 215, the Score is just right - when I gain some weight and get on some pushy water it stops working for me... Look at the Dagger GTX? not sure how squirtable. Never saw and Axiom in person... You might find a full cut Viper C-1 interesting if you could find one with an adequate cockpit (sold mine - boat was a blast, cockpit too small) A slasher with a squashed stern was one of my favorite boats for a long time, but I find that tippy these days after paddling OC-1 and more comfy conversions...
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Pretty good Larry, an Axiom looks pretty much a Redline XL, I like the specs of the width & cockpit depth!

I've steered clear of the Super EZ because of its slowness and special skirt.

Rick, thanks for the measurements of the R-79, I was going to e-mail you for that.

Pat.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

hey pat, i see there's a used one for sale here.
lemme know if you want me to pick it up for you.
I might even know someone who could haul it to monroe WA.

http://forums.boof.com/showthread.php?p=31021#post31021
Larry
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Thanks Larry, I appreciate the offer. But based on the advice here, if a get another C-1, and I'd probably have to get rid of one to do that, seems like I'd go for Rick's R-79 which is already outfitted and already in BC.

Cheers, Pat.
skooks
c

Forget the C-1!

Post by skooks »

Pat, I went through the same process that you are going through right now when I thought I needed to get into a C-1. You would do well to learn from my painful experience and just skip the misery of the C-1 phase entirely and do your closed boating in a kayak. I eventually did learn to paddle a C-1 well enough to have fun on the river, but I was never as proficient or confident as I am in my OC. I got tired of having to literally crawl out boat and up the bank, then having the feeling return to my legs while I writhed in agony. You are already a good open-boater, why not broaden your paddling horizons and try a double blade? It's orders of magnitude more comfortable than a C-1 and you wont have to spend much time or money outfitting the boat.

-Don
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Re: Forget the C-1!

skooks wrote: You would do well to learn from my painful experience and just skip the misery of the C-1 phase entirely and do your closed boating in a kayak. I got tired of having to literally crawl out boat and up the bank, then having the feeling return to my legs while I writhed in agony.
-Don
Argg-gh-h. . . Methinks he doth blaspheme!

Be strong, Pat. Don't give in. There's nothing more pleasureable than the pain that comes with single-sticking in a skirt! In Ibuprofen we trust! :wink:
C'est l'aviron. . . !
skooks
c

Post by skooks »

Whatever gets you down the river! As long as you are having fun it's all good. For me the pain and agony of a C-1 just wasn't worth it. I have far more fun in my open canoe or kayak and I am a much more proficient paddler in either of them then I was ever going to be in a C-1. To each his own.

-Don
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Don,

There's just something about canoes & canoeing that I like, kayaking doesn't hold the same appeal. I'm looking to try a new twist on an activity that I like, not to try a new activity. Not to mention, my hamstrings are so tight that I've also found kayaks to be excrutiating to sit in!

Pat.
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

I do think it is worth buying a yoga block and sitting on it. It might help you stretch out and be more comfortable, and it only costs $10 or $20.

Shep
yarnellboat
C Maven

Update & possible boat swap

Post by yarnellboat »

Haven't been in in many boats at all since May (2nd baby this summer), and no C-1ing, but haven't ditched the idea entirely, forever the optimimist that I'll eventually paddle more, and I still like the idea of making easy/familiar rivers more fun (if I can get comfortable), as well as getting the practice on rolling and offside/up-front paddling - my tripping background does make the stern work hard to get away fromin my open boats.

So, Rick's big Remix is gone, but he's got a Fink. We're thinking of swapping the Redline & Fink. The width of the Fink is obviously better. Hopefully it's deeper too, that's one of my big problems. Rick, how deep is the hull at the thighs? I think I had to work pretty hard on the rims of the Redline and Score to get them up to something like 11 or 12",which I can barely jam my legs into.

So my good people, any thoughts on whether a Fink might be an improvement for me in terms of finding a comfortable run/play C-1 for 230lbs? Looks like a funny little cockpit. And if not the Fink (or the Axiom 9.0, which does look alright, and its specs are similar to the Fink), then what?

Cheers, Pat.
Last edited by yarnellboat on Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Re: I don't like C-1ing

yarnellboat wrote:Rick, how deep is the hull at the thighs?
Pat, you have 12 - 13" clearance (depth) at the front of the cockpit. More, by an inch or two, than in the Redline (before you jacked it up!)

NOTE: the cockpit is round, therefore shorter than you're used to from front to back, but pretty wide. Some folks on the forum have complained the cockpit is, therefore, too small. Others say otherwise.

It needs a dedicated skirt. Snapdragon made mine, and I'm sure has the deck specs on file. My tunnel is "L" for my little tummy, but you might need a larger size.

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
Berkshire Jack
Pain Boater

Post by Berkshire Jack »

I've been in a Fink only twice, but have had many years in a Redline. The Fink is nothing like the Redline in playfulness or performance. Different hull shape (I believe it is a displacement hull) and it was longer. The Fink will be more stable and will handle bigger water more predictably, but there won't be the variety of play available. It might be alright surfing, but I couldn't sink its ends. For the river running part of what you are seeking, it will work but probably won't deliver all the play.
C1-er
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Thanks Rick & Jack. Sounds about right. Stability & leg room are mostly what I'm looking for - based on the advice here, sounds like that's the thing to do if I'm going to give C-1ing a fighting chance. I should at least try a boat that fits me before I completely give up on C-1ing.

I'll bet I'll be able to sink the stern of the Fink at my weight, if I even get there (intentionally) with C-1ing. And I still have the Score as a slicier playboat (if....).

Hopefully your skirt will work Rick, I doubt I'd have a skirt made for a boat I may not use much. From Snapdragon's website an XL might be more comfy, but an L may just work.

Pat.

p.s. Rick, regardless of what more we learn about these boats, you for sure can borrow, swap or buy the Redline, however we work it out. See you at the end of the month.