Going upside down over cascades in OC-1

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Alden
CBoats Addict

Post by Alden »

That's what we call "Going FullDenialz!!" :D
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

FullGnarlzOC wrote:With that being said, it's less likely I would have flipped in a L'edge yes - but then I'm in a boat that is not near as fun to paddle the other 98% of the time.
Please define "fun" for us older and more experienced folks. :roll:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

Craig Smerda wrote:
FullGnarlzOC wrote:With that being said, it's less likely I would have flipped in a L'edge yes - but then I'm in a boat that is not near as fun to paddle the other 98% of the time.
Please define "fun" for us older and more experienced folks. :roll:
I'll go out on a limb and define fun as not headboofing a class V slide/cascade...
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

Alden that was priceless!!!
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Post by eddyhops »

Alden wrote:That's what we call "Going FullDenialz!!" :D
JD
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Post by eddyhops »

FullGnarlzOC wrote: It's all apart of the learning process ...
Indeed...

:P
JD
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

The thought of broken teeth and a rearranged face makes me shudder. I would have my face planted tight against the air bag and my elbows tight to my side. Let your helmet and life jacket take the punishment. Been there.
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Thanks Jim. :) Good news is...my form going over drops upside down is great. It's being confirmed. I was thinkin I might have to switch it up and learn to take the impact another way...but seems that I'm takin the hits how i should...as I should be doing at this point ;)

And to define "fun" for you "older folks" - I spend over 60% of my time on the water on class II-IV runs, helping others progress, get out there, and push themselves. The Maxim is great fun on any kind of rapid - I know I can take it whereever and have a great time on the water. If it's a smallish II-III type of rapid, I can take advantage of subtle water features and zoom in and out of moves throughout the creek. On IV-V - using the water w/ an advanced boat translates to HUGE REWARDS for me personally - as I continue to get better as a paddler and w/ the boat...

Orrrrr - I can just get in a L'edge and style everything, all the time - but wut 'fun' is that :)

PS - If you guys didnt notice - I rocked the rest of the run. And completely styled the same drop that I screwed up - and that's my first real 'vertical' run in the Maxim and 2nd run of that creek. How do you think it goes my 10th run?
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
rockyboater
C Guru

Post by rockyboater »

I took a few really hard hits to the back creeking a few years ago. After that I decided to find some sort of armour. I don't know if it's still being made but I picked up a Stohlquist creeking PFD that has kevlar armour plates on the back and sides of it. Still gives you full movement and feel the same as any other PFD. Using this with elbow pads on rocky creeks has given me the confidence to try thing I would have backed down from before.
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

http://vimeo.com/22868556

get in a l'edge my arseee. Look - at how well that Maxim resurfaces. :)
Einar
CBoats Addict

I don't know ...

Post by Einar »

I don't know much about upside downing waterfalls but...
I always cut away from my "valuables" when I am using a river knife on my canoe.
funkidreadz
C Guru

Post by funkidreadz »

get in a l'edge my arseee. Look - at how well that Maxim resurfaces.
Boofing and Plugging

Fast forward to the plugging bit,

I know I posted this just the other day in another thread, but after that comment Tommy you need to check out THE best resurfacing ever flimed.

Paddle safe,

James
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Most definitely tucked...

with includes elbows tucked inside gunwales. Had two such incidents on same drop, and that second time... the one without getting elbow tagged by a failing boat, was a much more pleasing experience.
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

James - I watched that clip over and over again when you originally posted it to ur FB months ago. Then I studied the L'edges design very closely to see how the boat could have possibly resurfaced that perfectly. I was convinced that it came up like that because of the lip of the tumblehome - i figured it guided the boat in and out of the water in an 'arc' like fashion.

Either way - my thoughts are the same now as they were back then... that is the most badass 'black attack' (as Mick had called it)... that I had ever seen.
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Phil - I have a second thwart in front of my bulkhead(in addition to the ones that go over the back and front of the bulkhead) - It was put there to add extra bomberness - Think I should take it out? to allow for a better tuck n plug?