Slalom for big people: Galasport El Scorcho, IMo, and Loco

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

strong
C Boater

Slalom for big people: Galasport El Scorcho, IMo, and Loco

Post by strong »

Has anyone here paddled a Galasport El Scorcho? Any comparisions with the IMo or Loco?
Thanks,
Alex
Last edited by strong on Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
strong
C Boater

Post by strong »

I have been paddling the Imo for about a year now. It is a great slalom boat for larger paddlers. The boat is suggested for people around 170 pounds but I am a good 215, and have found it fast and stable. This boat surfs like a dream and remains in control with the bow completley submerged while surfing.

I have not had a chance to paddle the Loco or the El Scorcho. I guess the El Scorcho is based on the Imo and is the newest boat designed by Robin Bell. Galasport describes it as continuing in the stable easy to paddle tradition.

Any other large paddlers out there having luck floating current slalom boats?
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Post by eddyhops »

What's your saddle height?
JD
strong
C Boater

Post by strong »

Somewhere around 4.5 or 5 inches. Far lower than I have ever been able to have it on other boats, but I can get my knees very wide.
iRolled
BlackFly Canoes

Post by iRolled »

I've been eyeballing El Scorcho myself. It says on they're site that it's a boat for heavier paddlers.
Team Blackfly
http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

strong wrote:Somewhere around 4.5 or 5 inches. Far lower than I have ever been able to have it on other boats, but I can get my knees very wide.
I paddled it. All I'm saying is when sitting on a flip-flop on top of the saddle makes it hurt noticeably less, that's low.

:D
Shep
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

Bells boats work well for large guys, I have paddled all of them. and I race a supremo. When I was training all the time I was at 190+-5. now Im at 205 and I'd still choose the supremo over the gala designs. Racing=vajda. river running=gala. My saddle is roughly 2 inches, and I'm 6'3"ish. don't listen too hard to what the manufacturers tell you, you can blow up a boat, or cut it down. My supremo is an XL+ and I love it. I'd like to move to the new supremo 2. but I'll stick with what I got as it floats... the bell boats are fun, and they glide very well, but they aren't as maneuverable as the supremo. I think what I'd do if I was going to paddle a gala is I'd have them blow up the new Tony boat, it's awesome. I was with Tsakmakis the day he was testing out the first proto of the TT and that boat is a great idea, but needs refinement, they can blow it up too, but not much... it was like a squirt boat.
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.