Mohawk Rodeo

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

canoemid
C Guru

Post by canoemid »

Richard, are you bringing a Rodeo to the Lower Green Demo?
avlclimber
C Guru

Post by avlclimber »

Thanks for all the info.

What I love about the Viper is how it snaps into eddies and is very responsive to river currents. I am definitely looking at shorter boats. Does the Rodeo, even without chines, retain that "snappy" performance?

The only other critique I've heard is that it is not a dry boat, but I don't know what that is in comparison to. I suppose that is a real reservation, knowing that this would be my primary boat.

The Detonator comparison was helpful. Any other testimonies? How would the Rodeo stack up against an Ocoee?
avlclimber
C Guru

Post by avlclimber »

And when is the Lower Green Demo??
canoemid
C Guru

Post by canoemid »

Demo here on Lower Green is on May 14th according to Mohawk site. Here's a link to their demo schedule page:

http://www.mohawkcanoes.com/demodays.html
Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

Avl, how much do you weight? that should help determine if the boat will be dry or wet!! Also your style of paddling or the type of rivers, might dictate the dryness of the boat. YTcanoe, is around 190lbs and he never said anything about the boat being wet, at least not weter than his Prelude...
YTcanoe
C Guru

Post by YTcanoe »

Yep, I had a Rodeo for years and really loved it.

It had softer chines than a Viper 11, but I wouldn't compare it to a Probe. It's not the precision carving instrument that the Viper is, but it doesn't feel that far off. Seems more forgiving due to the slightly softer edge and increased rocker. More manouverable and looser on a wave. Only on flatter water could I notice it being any slower than the Viper, and the Viper did track a little better.

To me it was a fabulous all round boat. It surfed, spun and played great. It was a nimble creeker. And contrary to others opinions, I thought it was a great big water/flood boat. That Mohawk end design needs to be brought back - sharp and fast at waterline with a big transition above, flared to keep dry and maintain bouyancy (plus help with big enders). The boat is very fast compared to others its length.

As comparison, I spent time in a Detonator. It has superior initial stability, other than that, the Rodeo surpassed it in every way. Much, much faster and quicker to accellerate. Just look at its big blunt ends. (In theory the Rodeo's sharp entry lines could make it a bit "grabby", but I always found it steady and predictable).

I now paddle a Prelude (Pyranha hull flattened and edges hardened). The Rodeo was considerably more stable, faster, and drier. Probably close to an Esquif Prelude for carving. Looser and easier to surf and spin the Rodeo, but not as precise and manouverable or durable.

I weigh about 185. Students, usually novices, often tried the boat during courses. Women and lightweights seemed to immediately like the boat. When folks weighed about 180 and over, reviews were mixed. (Yukon hated it - though a Viper lover) The boat changed personality when load increased. Taking from a previous poster that suggested the chines got harder towards the ends, it would make sense that it would get edgier.

I wore the boat out, when I retired it, there was as much Kevlar/glass as plastic. It was a Royalite (crap) version, for years that was the only choice, plus it had seen a lot of UV. I think the new ones are Royalex.

The length/size, speed of the Rodeo seemed perfect to me.
10'6 seems ideal for most whitewater I paddle.

I'm thinking I'll try an Option for creeking and in the future possibly replace my Prelude with a Rodeo or Viper 11.
YTcanoe
C Guru

Post by YTcanoe »

Looking back, you ask for an Ocoee comparison.
I find the Ocoee and Viper11 feel remarkably similar.
The Rodeo - still a "snappy", "sporty" boat, just a little less than the O and V. But noticeably more manouverable, a bit more forgiving and a much superior playboat.
Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

Hey YT, is the Ocoee and Vipper11 much dryer than the Rodeo?
YTcanoe
C Guru

Post by YTcanoe »

Rodeo with it's funky ends is noticeably drier than the Ocoee.
Same ends as the Viper, a bit less volume, but a bit more rocker = I don't think any difference.
mangy mutt
c

Rodeo

Post by mangy mutt »

I have a Rodeo. I immediately preferred this boat over my Ovation as its fast and more precise into eddies, carving better than my Ovation. I could not surf it as well as either the Ovation or a Prelude but hey. I'd rather hit the eddies and get upriver when I need to. Its wetter than the Ovation but about the same as the Prelude.

I'm an extremely lightweight paddler but it seems quite amenable to heavier people too. It spat me out when I first paddled it but now I understand about edge its pretty amenable. I really like the colour - it's purple to match the rest of my kit.
kslund
Pain Boater

Post by kslund »

Here's Will Reeves paddling the Mohawk Rodeo on some coloraddy class iv:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys42CixGqzU
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

My first ever OC1 experience was in a Rodeo, and I'd struggle to find anything bad to say about it... But I'd also struggle to find anything that's particularly great about it, it lacks the standout features of some other boats; but it can still hold it's own.

In four words; Capable yet somehow Mediocre.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
mangy mutt
c

Post by mangy mutt »

Hmmmm.....but then you get into the realm of the boats that you either love or hate, such as the Zoom and the Prelude.....and I'd say that these would be more sensitive to the weight of the paddler.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

mangy mutt wrote:Hmmmm.....but then you get into the realm of the boats that you either love or hate, such as the Zoom and the Prelude.....and I'd say that these would be more sensitive to the weight of the paddler.
You forgot the boat you either love or die of crush injuries under... ;)
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
avlclimber
C Guru

Post by avlclimber »

Ok, so i'm 5'10" and a whispy 130 lbs. I dig technical class 3-4 rivers, working and eddy hopping the rapids.

Under these conditions how do your "weight sensitive" boats fare? I am heavily considering a jump to the Prelude, and accepting the associated learning curve.

At the same time, perhaps at my weight, a Rodeo would handle much like a Viper 11 does for bigger paddlers. ( I really enjoyed my Viper and consider it one of the best boats out there for just about all conditions, but I am tempted to try something smaller/shorter/lighter)