Help D-ring pulled vinyl off

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

nsshue
Pain Boater

Help D-ring pulled vinyl off

Post by nsshue »

We were pulling a D-ring off the hull of a Bell Ocoee
and it pulled about a large quarter size piece of vinyl with it.

we've never had this happen....we are going to be putting another D-ring in that same area

How would we repair this before we put the new D-ring on?

I sure hope someone can help us. :-?
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Glue the new D-ring down with a paste made from G-flex and colloidal sillica and don't worry about it.
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Agree with the above, but also check the vinyl around where it pulled off. If that vinyl has delaminated, take a razor blade and trim to where the vinyl is still firmly attached. The G-Flex will adhere to both, and the vinyl is there to protect the inner layer from UV and abrasion, which the D-ring patch will do just as well.

Thanks,
Shep
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

G-flex should work.

Another alternative is Stabond, which is the adhesive Mike Yee recommends for gluing his vinyl patches into either an R-lite hull, or a boat being reoutfitted in which the vinyl has been torn off in the process of removing older patches: http://www.mikeyeeoutfitting.com/
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Stabond is great if:
you use only new Stabond
apply it sparringly and let it dry completely
work fast
nsshue
Pain Boater

wow, good info

Post by nsshue »

thanks for all the suggestions. I have cut and pasted all these suggestions and now safely stored in my computer :-)

Interestingly enough, I had stumbled onto Mike Yee's site and read about the Stabond...I had wondered it that would work in our situation....

Steve told me he has pretty much figured out now what he wants to do with the repair...he told me to thank everyone.

Thanks! :-)

Sue
mr ray
C Guru

Re: wow, good info

Post by mr ray »

nsshue wrote:thanks for all the suggestions. I have cut and pasted all these suggestions and now safely stored in my computer :-)

Interestingly enough, I had stumbled onto Mike Yee's site and read about the Stabond...I had wondered it that would work in our situation....

Steve told me he has pretty much figured out now what he wants to do with the repair...he told me to thank everyone.

Thanks! :-)

Sue
Sue,
I have G/Flex and thickener at my house if you need some.
-Ray
nsshue
Pain Boater

Post by nsshue »

thanks Ray...I'll ask Steve.
will email you
sue
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

The bond of the vinyl to the ABS may be weaker than either the bond of the vinyl to itself, or the bond of the ABS to itself.

I've found that the vinyl layer can be easily skimmed off the ABS with a single pass of a sharp chisel held at a low angle. Easier than sanding by far.

John Sweet, boat builder emeritus, recommends removing the vinyl from the ABS before installing skid plates. Maybe we should be removing the vinyl before critical D-ring patch applications too. With the vinyl gone, adherance of G-flex to the ABS should be terrific.
nsshue
Pain Boater

info

Post by nsshue »

thanks for posting...I have started a folder in my computer for all this great info. I will add this to it and show to Steve

sue