Footware in a C1

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

Footware in a C1

Post by CosmikDebris »

What kind of shoes are people wearing in their c1's these days? Now that I have a drysuit with cush goretex booties, the barefoot method doesn't really work anymore. Anything out there that works?
Thanks!
Rand C1
C Guru

Post by Rand C1 »

The main thing is that you want something supple with little or no heel. A heel can catch on the cockpit rim when wet exiting. I ware NRS Desparados. Mine are old so I hope they make them the same. I also remove the elastic draw string & springholder thing that are uncomfortable when kneeling.
Rand
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Rand C1 wrote:The main thing is that you want something supple with little or no heel. A heel can catch on the cockpit rim when wet exiting.
I agree with Rand C1.

I compared lots of neoprene booties, and settled for a pair of DEEP SEE (?). They are ankle height, with zips up the inside. They had the slimmest profile, and at the back of the heel, the sole is flush with the bootie, and tapers inward.

I bought 'em snug, and they're a little tight around the dry-suit footies, but maybe worth a little discomfort to ensure a safer wet-exit.

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

What about just plain neopren socks, and you could have a pair of "Crocks" inside the boat for when you have to walk any distances...
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Teva's or chaco's are better than crocs for pairing with neoprene socks, they have enough support and sole to allow for quite demanding terrain.

But I use Typhoon P5 booties, they're actually diving booties but they bought them in bulk at the rafting centre I used to work at, I used client pairs for about 2 years before being respectfully asked to buy some of my own... They're a great balance between having a decent sole (with a real insole) and having the upper foot flexibility needed for c-boating.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
driftwood
C Guru

Post by driftwood »

I ware NRS booties, over my dry suit. They are dirt cheap, or you can get some from a raft company.

Last time we talked you said you were going the kayak way. Glad thats not the case, coming to ALF

J. Wood
Will dance for rain
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

crocs? :wink: guess you didn't get the memo from the fashion police.
depends on what kind of runs you're doing. class II-III, ok. bring some beers while your at it. But if someone showed up barefoot or with socks on a class four or five wilderness run, they'd catch a lot of grief from me. shoes clipped in the boat don't do jack for you if you swim and have to chase down said boat. Or if you need to help someone out..oh, wait. lemme get my shoes..

There is a real need for a decent shoe that'll fit in a c1. Small heel, sturdy but not too stiff sole, cover the ankle, 510 rubber or better. How hard can it be?
There are lots of neoprene booties that will work, but many are too flimsy and they all (that I've tried) have terrible traction on polished granite. I like traction.

Nike are you listening? BRING BACK THE TOKETEE!!! That was the best boating shoe ever.
Larry
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I'm still looking for something to fit over drysuit feet - the thickness of my wool socks inside and the drysuit fabric have me going up a full size or more - my shoe size is 11.5, but there are no 12.5s (at least not in water shoes), so it's up to 13s - that's getting pretty dern big in my C-1, even as generous as the room is in the Remix.

Crocs suck - soft as a sponge and the traction of a banana peel - great for the parking lot and the drive home

Chacos - great for walking/scrambling, but big and clunky in the C-1 and the sole is too stiff - plus you'll get sand between sole and sock

Keen H-2 (or similar) - similar to Chacos, but they trap the sand even better

Nike Aquasocks - great in the boat and *almost* enough sole, great for park and play

I'm going to see how an NRS (or similar) bootie works with a thinner inner sock (liner?) and the dry suit... Might be able to get away with a size 12...
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I use Keen Sandals - but have put a "skin" of foam inside all by boats, so when I'm in the boat I am not wearing sandals, and store them in front of my knees. This works well regardless of whether or not I'm wearing my drysuit with attached Goretex socks.
Keep the C!
Adam
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Akona booties are the most flexible booty I've found and still have a sole (soul?). Cheap, and available up to size 13. The 3.5mm are also pretty stretchy.

http://www.akona.com/product.php?product_id=99
Bob P
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Stohlguist Water Moccosons (sp?)... thick neoprene with a aramid sole. And I have keen sandles that I biner in the front of the boat for hiking in.
Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

Larry, I'm with you, croks sucks... and the Nikke shoe was a great sho, but to narrow for my big feet(13).... As any one tryed the canyoneer or sar shoe from 5:10? Look realy good and I,m sure they have great traction! http://fiveten.com/products/footwear-detail/68-sar
Last edited by Lappie on Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

welcome back will good to see you are having a relapse
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Lappie wrote:Larry, I'm with you, croks sucks... and the Nikke shoe was a great sho, but to narrow for my big feet(13).... As any one tryed the canyoneer or sar shoe from 5:10? Look realy good and I,m sure they have great traction! http://fiveten.com/products/footwear-detail/68-sar
Never going to happen, they're incredibly clunky, and the SAR actually has a safety toecap and midsole, to eliminate any slight artifact of flexibility that was left in the Canyoneer 2 design.

Excellent rafting boots, even better water operations boots But poor kayaking boot, dire canoeing boot.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
fez
CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

Prijon has some pretty light flexible shoes with a good sole, perfect for C1. Don`t know if you can get them over the great pond though.

http://www.prijon.com/produkte/bekleidu ... flach.html
imagine