Blackfly Option and Ion review

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Alden
CBoats Addict

Blackfly Option and Ion review

Post by Alden »

Hi everyone,

Last weekend I had the opportunity to take both the Blackfly Option and the Blackfly Ion prototype open canoes for a test paddle in New Hampshire. As many board posters know, both canoes are going into production for the first time this winter.

The Option

The first thing that was evident to me about this 8'8" boat was the primary stability; the Option feels rock-solid right away. As we got into the meat of the run and I had a chance to put it through its paces – boofing, surfing, and crossing eddylines -- I found that it also had excellent secondary stability. It boofed relatively well (something that will only improve with several scheduled bow modifications in store for the production boats). As for speed, I found the boat had no trouble darting in and out of eddies and slicing across eddylines; still, it wasn't the fastest boat I've paddled. Part of the problem was that the saddle was too far back, and part of the solution is that the production models will simply be lighter and faster. The boat stays dry well – no doubt aided by the splash deflector that was added during the design phase.

I began to visualize what the Option would feel like on my favorite creek, the Big Branch in Vermont; I think that even on such a steep, ultra-continuous rock field, the Option would be a lot of fun. Suffice to say that in my book any boat that gives you that kind of confidence right away is a good Option.

(I really apologize for that joke. 8) But really I think what I am saying here is that the last time I was this excited about the Option, Florida was playing in the Orange Bowl.) :D

The Ion

The Ion is much shorter than the Option, and, with the “natural” white color of the prototype hull, and the fat, rounded bow, this 6'10" design is a dead-ringer for none other than your average bathtub. Frankly, I was not sure what to expect when I got in. To my surprise, I found it amazingly fun! My overall impression was: “loose.” It spins on a dime, and seems to slip across the water, paddling remarkably fast for its length. It’s also extremely dry. Definitely a fun boat, for sure!

The Kokotat Drysuit

This is not produced by Blackfly Canoes, but I have to recommend it if you are foolish enough to be paddling open canoes in the dead of winter in New England.

Otter Creek Copper Ale

I'd recommend this if you're unsure whether going paddling in an open canoe in the dead of winter in New England is a good idea or not -- best if consumed the night before such an outing when in deliberation.

In summary, these are two very cool canoes, and kudos to Jeremy for some great design work! I can't wait to paddle the production models!

Bring on the spring high water,

Alden
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

It should be noted that Alden has been offered a position, not as what has been termed on this site as a 'paid liar,' but as an 'unpaid liar,' since I can't afford to pay my liars yet. :D
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Your first sponsored athlete! (Do you get to count yourself?) Big step! Congratulations!

Shep
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Worthless without photos....

Nice... way to go Black Fly Canoes!!!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Nice guys... I'm looking forward to taking them both for a spin one of these days as well. :D

New boats... innovation... "change"... all good stuff!!! I love it man.

From one P.L. to another. :P

[img]https://s-hphotos-snc6.fbcdn.net/181649 ... 0128_n.jpg[/img]

Moving forward... :wink:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

So was this test run on the lower Winny? Just a question, I'm a bare handed paddler, so something has to be 50 Deg while still holding the paddle.
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Excellent review, thanks for posting it!
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Congrats

Post by Mikey B »

Nice review...they are sounding like really cool boats! Congrats to Alden in his new role :D Great work Jeremy!
Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

Thank you for the review. One question, How tall and how heavy is Alden?
Thank you
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

when?
Joe
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

gumpy wrote:when?
The current plan is to mold them the second week in March. I probably won't get to sleep that week, since I'll have to outfit boats to take to ALF, so if I'm looking haggard at ALF, you'll know why.
At this point, I'm ready to start taking pre-orders/deposits/color preferences (all of the boats will be the same color, but if everyone gives me 3 color choices, I think I'll be able to find something that will make most people happy). Introductory price will be $1450. PM or E-mail me (Info@BlackflyCanoes.com) for more details.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Nice job Clown great work
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

You need a review of the Option by somebody in the 200#+ range. You may ship the boat to Lexington, SC. There is an Old Dominion terminal near me. :lol:
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Review question: Alden, have you paddled the L'Edge? How do they compare?
I know I should demo a boat before I order, but the price of the Option is sooooo tempting, that I am thinking about selling some boats so I could pre-order one.
Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

Demoing boat is not an option where I live!!
Indeed the price is right!
But I think I might be to heavy for one!!