why would you not use a pump?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

insolence
CBoats Addict

Re: why would you not use a pump?

Post by insolence »

the hazzle and the weight

The moments that I would really need it, no pump would be fast enough (in the meat of a big, long rapid), and all other situations I can just dump. So its too much hazzle for not much use.

Plus a pump is a significant weight that I dont wanna move or carry around

Never seen any of the new school large steaming pile of dog doo runners use a pump

I guess everyone should just do what helps them, and I can totally see where a pump could help people.
It's just not for me
it's gettin hot
I MAKE THE WATER BURN
purple orange flames
blaze where I put my paddle
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

No pump. I use a sponge.
JKaz......
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

I use a pump except the new Ion does not have one. Simple to set up with SLA, Atwood 1200, switch. I really like Matthew Toddhunter's lithium battery, military switch. If you want to buy a system from him contact him through Ridgespirit Outfitters on FB. The pump allows me to keep up with my kayaker buds. In the Ion I need to stop and rest my ankle/foot that was injured in April, so I have not put a pump. It is easy to dump.
Rand C1
C Guru

Post by Rand C1 »

A big part of the beauty of a canoe is that it is a human powered craft.
Rand
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I can understand the appeal of pumps... but I'd rathe just paddle a C1 and keep the water out in the first place;)

Otherwise part of the challenge to me is a dry (as possible) run.

I'm surprise Kaz even uses a sponge... I'd think it would outweigh the amount of water he gets in his boat :o
Keep the C!
Adam
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Sir Adam wrote:I can understand the appeal of pumps... but I'd rathe just paddle a C1 and keep the water out in the first place;)

Otherwise part of the challenge to me is a dry (as possible) run.

I'm surprise Kaz even uses a sponge... I'd think it would outweigh the amount of water he gets in his boat :o
He uses the sponge to clean out the boat just before he puts in on the roof rack...
Bob P
Glenn MacGrady
C Boater

Post by Glenn MacGrady »

As an ancient, I can't help resurrecting this thread.

Why not use a pump?

Weight, hassle, but most importantly, it is inconsistent with my view of the ancient sport of open canoe paddling. To me, it's not such a different question as using an electric motor to attain upstream.

Moreover, pumps are not part of my personal history and cherished memories. Learning to pick the driest lines and surgically to carve up a rapid, learning how to block water intake by hull orientation and heeling, paddling while full, and planning dumping eddies are all parts of the historical sport, to me. I've only seen a pump once -- in 1987 on the Ocoee when test paddling a Whitesell Piranha with Nolan.

In my early days, a common solo canoe was an 80+ pound, 17-2 Old Town Tripper. They were paddled by women. Bags were usually just 15" end bags, or none at all. Fill up that canoe and it was pretty heroic to paddle it ashore. But maybe people were stronger 40 years ago. I know I was. Full bagging would also interfere with paddle scoop bailing, which requires space in front of the paddler. You heel the canoe to the rail and speed scoop with your paddle at about 50 spm.

I suppose that's why 15' canoes became so popular. You only had to paddle or bail with 2000 gallons of water instead of 3000.

But, although we rolled open canoes, we were weenies. We didn't run class 5 waterfalls as YouTube now proves everyone does. Still, I wouldn't use a pump for those, even today. I'd use my shoulders.

Pump iron, not water.
boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Post by boatbuster »

Because when I use an electric pump and never get out of the boat to dump water my legs get too stiff.