whale supersub pump ? (for Taureau)

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

fez
CBoats Addict

whale supersub pump ? (for Taureau)

Post by fez »

has anyone tried these pump of Whale already ?

http://www.whalepumps.com/documents/bro ... T_6501.pdf

They would fit perfect under the saddle into the tunnel for the water.
Also no switch would be needed.
imagine
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

doesnt look like it'd pump out much water out. only 650, maybe if ya installed four of them.

But I think the gravy would be in the electronic field sensor technology. What is that? another kind of float switch?

It sounds over engineered. In high school I was a Hydro-Ceramic technician stationed at a culinary institution.

I had isues with the float switch on my one attwood. Makes me not trust float switches.
Proud Yankee
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

I don't think it's a float switch. ("Solid state switching. No moving parts.") Rather, it's probably an electronic sensor that measures the resistance between two (possibly submerged) plates.

At about 10 gal/min, it might be a little slow. I think that two would be better for continuous stuff.

Any idea of the price?
Bob P
fez
CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

it tests somehow with induction ( if I recall right!) if there is water around.

They claim it to pump 600 US GPH (whatever that means, my english is not that good :roll: ), that`s a little bit less than the reference Attwod V1250.

http://www.powerboat-reports.com/sample/bilge.html
http://www.powerboat-reports.com/newspi ... 3-6-VG.pdf

Against the flowback I would use a valve.

Does a pump anyway need any rise in a canoe? Why do all pump users that I know rise the water over board? With a valve there would get no water into the hose, meaning better flow ?
imagine
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

I would not use a valve. Any gain in flow you would get from lowering the head and possibly even more would most likely be lost in the flow restriction of the valve.
Also, what is the water height where the pump switches on and off? I used to have a bilge with a float switch in my old Prelude, and the float switch definitely shut off way earlier than I would have liked, leaving still a lot of water in my boat. I ended up just using a manual switch.
And I agree, it seems a bit small in flow. I would go bigger.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
fez
CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

I`ll try the Tsunami

thanks
imagine