Foot pegs in a C-1

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

rockyboater
C Guru

Foot pegs in a C-1

Post by rockyboater »

Has anyone out there installed adjustable foot pegs in there C-1 before? Outfitting mine to feel like a bulk head in a Taureau. The idea is no straps for a quick in and out on tricky water. Just ordered some pegs from NRS. I think I've got it all figured out but just looking for some feed back on this.
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Yeap tried it and it didn't work for me. Got a couple people advising me not to do it but I still tried it and threw them pegs away some short time after.

You can see some pics of what I had done at the time in the museum for my Remix: threw an apalooza saddle in there. I am still really happy with the boat today, same saddle but with straps and no pegs.

Basically most if not all C1s won't have enough room for your feet lying on pegs without risking foot entrapment. Especially true for yaks conversions.

Basically in a C1 you need straps and so you need a bomber roll dialed in as the first thing, without which you'll never feel comfortable strapped in a boat. Hopefully most C1s are quite easy to roll: no gunnels, no water in etc.

Let us know how it turns out!
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Post by OC1er »

I tried a couple of peg methods and it never really worked out. It was always brutaly uncomfortable with pegs (as opposed to merely uncomfortable). I think it has to do with seat height, trying to get on the pegs puts another bend in your leg in an already tight space? But a good strap system will hold you in without the opposing pressure you get on the pegs, just make it releasable and escapable.

Keep us updated! My custom Larry Horne Carbon Fiber outfitting rig gets delivered today! STOKED!

Dan P.
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Oh yeah you right dan forgot to mention it also my knees REALLY didn't like the extra flex needed for pegs.

Also waiting on a larry's saddle too btw! I'm sure it'll be awesome. Christmas gift from me to me. Isn't love nice? :lol:
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

I have pegs in my Flirt. The saddle is tapered in the back so my toes point together I don't use them all the time but work fine when needed. No problems exiting either. It depends on how roomy your boat is.i
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Once I hallucinated a fully adjustable C-1 saddle idea using a Mohawk style bulkhead and footpegs on a fence rail system. It was a really bad idea and was more of a death trap than lap belts. Sometimes less is really more.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Mikey B- I always thought the saddle would have to be super high for foot pegs to work.. ?
But then, I always pushed on my foot pegs with the ball of my foot, as opposed to tucking my toes under them. That seems like it would be extra scary and potentially painfull in a c1.
Larry
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

Larry, my saddle is 6 1/2". The large Flirt is really roomy though. I use the balls of my feet also...don't use pegs if I want my feet flat, which is how I prefer it most times. I think it helps having them angled in ala the l'edge seems to be. But I agree pegs probably not great in most conversions
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

thanks..that's good to know.
Larry
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

I think rockyboarter raised an interesting question:

why do OCs work well with bulkheads and no straps (of course they also work well with straps without bulkheads)

whereas

C1s work well with straps ?

Furthermore, why do tight straps work well on OCs
whereas
lap belts work well in C1s?
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Post by OC1er »

When I mainly OC'd, I thought about it like "in an open boat you have to try to stay in the boat when upside down (easily escaped), while in a decked boat you have to try to get out (less easily escaped - there is an added step to escape by design - pulling the skirt. Escapability drives my rigs. In my creeker, I don't use a bulkhead for fears of being driven hard under the bulkhead (in a pin situation maybe). Straps can be cut, bulkheads cannot. I won't use a lapbelt in a creeker because I haven't figured a way to make escape a one pull action with a lap belt (one pull blows my skirt and thigh straps). Thigh straps work great for river running, but if you really get worked your butt will lift. I got blasted out of my seat at Sweets Falls this year, but my thigh straps held me in the boat even though my rear was probably 3 inches off the seat. I use bulkheads and a lapbelt in my playboat, and escape is two step. If you're playing a really chundery hole you'll get sucked right out of the boat without a lap belt. I've river run in my playboat, and I always talk to the crew about my rig. Not the smartest method, but wave wheels are funner than sh!t!

Earlier in the paddling career I was more concerned with punching out quickly than rolling, now I'd way rather roll than swim.

Not sure if any of that helped?

Dan P.
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Paddle Power wrote:I think rockyboarter raised an interesting question:

why do OCs work well with bulkheads and no straps (of course they also work well with straps without bulkheads)

whereas

C1s work well with straps ?

Furthermore, why do tight straps work well on OCs
whereas
lap belts work well in C1s?
1- bulkhead needs you to have foot pegs to stay on and there isn't enough space for pegs in a C1.
2- C1 works well with thighstraps for river running and creeking; lapbelts are for freestyle playboating mainly. Lapbelts are just not safe enough for general river running, let alone creeking.
rockyboater
C Guru

Post by rockyboater »

Thanks for all the input guys. So I'll clarify my thoughts a little more here. I'm defiantly more of a OC1 boater, so I will say I like the quick exit (only if really necessary). Not only was I looking for foot pegs, also looking for more boat strength. The idea would be to place them lower than usual on the saddle and sick them into the saddle a lot more so there not sticking out as far. Then attach the back part of the tracks to the bulk head foam. That will help give the saddle more strength and stability.That way if I don't wan't to use them they slide out of the way. I have a lot of problems with my knees and ankles (10 years of skateboarding) so straps cause me great pain as well as having my ankles flat against the boat. So this was me trying to find away around that. My play boat has straps and a bulk head which is fine cause you can get out all the time. This will be my creeker/big water boat so needs to be more bearable for me. Attached are a few pics and as you can see I left room to pull the knees out in a hurry. There is room for straps if I choose as well. Put most the foam to the outside. But even with the boat as is, no pegs or strap, when the skirt goes on you can hop straight up and the butt stays on the seat. And yes I know it's a Jackson, it's all I got:) Cheers
http://www.flickr.com/photos/58344240@N ... otostream/
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

rockyboater wrote:But even with the boat as is, no pegs or strap, when the skirt goes on you can hop straight up and the butt stays on the seat.
Not sure I get this part. You mean the skirt is keeping you in place? If that's the case then you'll see upside down in h2o it won't probably be the same. Neoprene flexes and slips much more when wet.

I'll say give it a go and good luck, it might work for you.

If ever it wouldn't work my suggestion for comfort/suffering knees would be add full lenght knee pads: from the knees to your ankles at a given angle so you'll get about 2-3 inches ankle blocks. This way your ankles are bent a bit but whtout having all the weight on them as opposed to short ankle blocks. Then set your straps so you can stay in the boat enough to roll efficiently without having to put the straps too tight, which makes my knees hurt too at the end of the day.

Good luck!
rockyboater
C Guru

Post by rockyboater »

No, with the hip pads and the bulk head mostly. Skirt just gives a little support. The bulk head covers about 2/3rds of the leg so even rolling as is I'd stay in pretty good. And yeah, forgot to mention I will pad the bottom and put ankle blocks in as well. Just waiting on these foot pegs before I go further with that.