Quick Poll on Paddles

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

pdown2
C Guru

Quick Poll on Paddles

Post by pdown2 »

What's your favorite paddle? My old AquaBound is getting replaced so figure I should ask what everyone else is using. Leaning towards the Werner Bandit but give me a some feedback.
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

There may be some bashing on the bandit and I myself have some qualms with it but for the value it's hard to beat and they are super durable they will wear down but won't break!!!
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

For me it's a toss up between my Mitchell Premier and my Echo Pursuit. Both are almost perfect!
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

Love my Galasport sticks. I'm getting one of the new sticks from Class Five. Talked to Victor today. Sounds like a great paddle at a very reasonable price.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Next time you are around a bunch of buttboaters, paddle over and find one that has an AT bent shaft paddle. Grab ahold of the handle area, and if you can imagine that on a canoe paddle shaft then you will know how the Sawyer Venom feels in the hand. It nice being able to index the blade angle with both hands. I've been beating the heck outa mine since Aug and other than wearing down on the low edge of the blade a bit, its doing great. Lots of power, big blade, crank shaft, adjustable length.... I like it quite a bit.
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

AB Edge. $90. Use it Hard. It can handle the worst of it.

You can get 2 for the price of a bandit.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
iRolled
BlackFly Canoes

Post by iRolled »

I second the New Class five paddles. I've been abusing the heck out of mine and it's held up. I recently paddled 5 out of 6 days and my elbows and shoulders weren't bothering me one bit. With my Clinch River paddle, my elbow would be a little soar by the end of the second day, but not with the new class five paddle. It's got just enough flex in the blade and shaft, but not so much that you loose power.
Team Blackfly
http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Clinch River, Echo & Mitchell
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

h2o team c1 straight shaft- best creeking paddle I've ever used
i really liked the galasport magnum but I had bad luck with a few of them.
also. I'll second the bandit as being a real good paddle for the buck. I broke a lot of paddles, but never broke the bandit.
Larry
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Have gone back to wood, after trying plastic and composites. Still got a few plastic ones kicking around, but you can't beat a good wooden stick.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

i've tried just about everything.

i did break a carbon bandit, but it was my fault. a little stiff for my liking and it was a very cold paddle in the winter.

i really liked my 'team' H2O and i'm still hoping it makes it's way home. I've been using the regular H2O since I lost the team and like it better than the Werner, but not as much as the short, fat blade on the 'team'. Blade is , i think, the same size as Bandit. A little softer and blade seems more durable.

I also have a glass Bandit and i'll be lucky to get another 50 days out of it.

Surprisingly, my Galasport was extremely durable. I got it when I was working at USNWC and ground the heck out of it at the ditch, but never broke it. I still have it, although it is on semi-permanent loan to a friend. the blade is also about 1/2 the size it was originally.

I also had a rough stuff that I really liked, but lost that one, too.

My Mitchell is probably my favorite, materials wise. But the blade is huge and the paddle is too long for me. They do have a new blade that isn't on the website. It is shorter and fatter. I saw Barry Kennon on the Ocoee a few months back and he had one. You can get more info by calling Mitchell and asking them for the Barry Blade, I imagine.

I have used Aquabound. On the plus side, I think AB is the only manufacturer that offers a 3 piece c1 breakdown. On the down side, the AB breakdowns are notoriously hard to get back apart. Worse, even the one piece 'carbon' edge feels like a wet noodle with a soggy piece of cardboard on the end. IMO, not worth the money. Better off with a Carlisle raft paddle.

When the wife gets done with school, I'll be ordering a Jimistyk. And then I'll have to quit losing paddles 'cause it's gonna cost more than I usually pay for a boat.
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

Galasport Demon
Profiplast air

Air is very durable and good for a plastic blade
Demon is stiffer, but blade wears out pretty fast
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

I have used a Werner Bandit (carbon) for over a year and overall like the paddle. It is very light, but recently with multiple boating days per week, my shoulders are starting to hurt. I am also getting a pretty good start on wearing the corner off of it.

With Christmas money, I plan to buy a wooden paddle.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

At this point my favorite paddle, by far, for general paddling (anything but creeking) is the Echo Concept. For creeking it would have to be the Rough Stuff Savage C1 (THAT is a durable paddle IMhO)(water feel isn't as good, but makes up for it in durability).

I'll try and list all the paddles I have or have tested in order of my personal preference (top being my "favorites"). This includes blades no longer made.

Schlegal FGC Carbon
Echo Concept
Galasport 3M
Backlund (wood)(borrowed)
Mitchell (wood shaft and blade)
Rough Stuff Savage C1
Zaveral
Viking (borrowed)
Bandit
Waterstick Titanium
-----------------
Werner Point Canoe
Carlisle (generic "raft paddle")

Anything above the line is a fine paddle, with personal preference likely leading the way. I recently acquired another Schlegal, this one the straight "carbon" model (lower than the FGC, if they were made at the same time, though I suspect the Carbon was likely the top of the line at the time it was made). I expect it will be in the top 4, but just swinging it around a bit I doubt it will displace the Echo or FGC.

I also have an Illiad and a Norse I use solely for raft guiding. Both are GREAT raft sticks.

And yes, I DO like a good paddle. Oddly most of this collection has been built up two ways:
1) As I acquired boats many came with paddles
2) Looking for a replacement for the FGC Carbon after I wore it out 8 years ago or so (purchased in '95).
Keep the C!
Adam
greybear
C Guru

Paddle

Post by greybear »

I love my Mitchell and I am looking at a Sawyer like them to. I have AB edge carbon, it has held up, not crazy about the flex in big water and have 3 Warner bandits. Two fiberglass blades and one carbon, the carbon failed the t-grip came loose after running a drop. If you go with a bandit replace the t-grip with a wood one. All are good paddles but I love my Mitchell.
Greybear