Dry Top and Pants vs. Dry Suit

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

TNbound
CBoats Addict

Dry Top and Pants vs. Dry Suit

Post by TNbound »

I had my eyes opened to how wonderful a drytop is for paddling c1 the other day and have a shiny new stohlquist one on the way!

Of course, this doesn't do me much good for open boating. I know stohlquist and some other companies make "Dry pants" designed to mate with a dry top, but has anyone used this combo in place of a dry suit while open boating? If it works well, I will get some dry pants. If it doesn't work, I'll spend the money on getting my old non breathable dry suit from my dinghy racing days resealed.
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I paddle year round and use a drytop and pants setup. The pants I have are the stohlquist ones with the new type gasket on the ankles. It's comfy and moderately dry. With that said, it's only moderately dry and that really sucks when it's really cold out. It works, but I wish I had a drysuit with built in footies every time I paddle in the cold.
scott curtis
C Guru

Post by scott curtis »

i recently got a kokatat, semi-dry-neo super nova neck or some crap.............rubber wrist..gor booties..relief zip for under 500..the first time i paddled w/ it ,it almost paid for itself.... seriously tho .. i am slim , and cold water dont set well w/ me... if your a big fatty.. i say get the two piece tho 8)
greybear
C Guru

Post by greybear »

Dry Suit, dry top and pants are fine but if one swims you will get wet. If you use a dry dry top and pants I recommend a wet suit under it all. Before the I got a dry suit I used a wetsuit under a semi-dry top and pants. It will keep you somewhat warm in case of a swim.
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

If the air is warm, the water is cold and the river is not difficult I'll wear my dry pants in my OC-1 along with a splash top so that I can open the neck to vent. Sometimes I'll wear dry pants with a dry top in the C-1 but almost never in the OC-1. The dry top and the pants sometimes separate in the back while leaning forward in an OC-1. A spray skirt helps prevent this in a C-1.

A local top notch kayaker and very close friend of mine drowned this year when his two piece outfit filled with water while he was stuck in a hole. :cry: As a result, most paddlers around here swore off the dry top/dry pants combo.
scott curtis
C Guru

Post by scott curtis »

yeah i was being funny.. dry suit
ClassFive Boats
C Guru

Post by ClassFive Boats »

I paddle C1 year round with a 3mm farmer john neoprene wetsuit and Gortex drytop. Works great for me.

Victor
clarion
C Guru

Post by clarion »

On the chance you're an XL I've got a pair of like new Palm Sidewinder bibs (breathable, booties, relief). I'd cut a good deal on them since I've got a one piece Kokatat now.
It AIN'T bent.
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

Bib dry pants is what my friend was wearing when he drowned. Since the top of the pants are loose fitting lots of water was forced into the pants. Can't say that I would recommend bib dry pants.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Jim, why was the top of his bib pants "loose fitting"? I have a Palm bib and the mating seal with my Stohlquist drytop is pretty tight. I could imagine the seal getting disrupted if something hooked the pants in strong current, but otherwise leaking should be slight or nil.
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

Sorry to hear about your friend, Jim. I had heard about the dangers of wearing bibs/waders when there is chance of immersion, but that shows how dangerous they can be.

The pants I am considering have a snug neoprene type waist and latex ankle seals. I'll definitely give them a thorough test to see how they handle while swimming before venturing into anything serious while wearing them. I'll primarily be using them for early/late season paddling while wearing hydroskin/other neoprene underneath when I am being a little more cautious.

Thanks for the input all.
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

Smurfwarrior wrote:I paddle year round and use a drytop and pants setup. The pants I have are the stohlquist ones with the new type gasket on the ankles. It's comfy and moderately dry. With that said, it's only moderately dry and that really sucks when it's really cold out. It works, but I wish I had a drysuit with built in footies every time I paddle in the cold.
Define really cold... 20s? 30s?
-Anthony

Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Single digits at times,... in late winter if it warms up to 30 it feels like summer.
john h
c

Post by john h »

when i started paddling a little over a year ago i was asking the exact same question (on this very forum, i think). the responses were almost universally 'go for the drysuit. you'll be warm and cozy. a drytop/pants combo just won't keep you dry'.

i went with the combo initially (in fairness to myself, i got some deals on the gear) but regretted it almost immediately. i've since gotten my hands on an nrs drysuit and definitely wish i had just gone drysuit from the get-go.

i can get up, go to work, coach, paddle and then coach some more...all wearing the same socks!

i also live in canada.

-john
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Early in my paddling career I put up with less than adequate winter paddling wear, but then my thermostat was set higher and I valued a new paddle, boat, etc... over an expensive dry suit. It also helps to be paddling the southern Appalachians vs. those other colder places y'all live. Now that I have a dry suit, I'm glad I do - it definitely makes colder temps more comfortable and it's a lot quicker to get changed into / out of. Which is also good as I seem to have more children now - and less time and patience for the "overhead" - I wonder if there is a correlation...