Extended Canadian Wilderness Trip

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

jatakasawa
C Guru

Extended Canadian Wilderness Trip

Post by jatakasawa »

One of my short term goals is a week and a half extended canoe/camping trip in the Canadian wilds. I know some of you on here have done this in the past and I'm looking for your input. The ideal adventure would have it all:

1.) Remoteness
2.) Whitewater
3.) Scenery of the breathtaking kind
4.) Drive-in access at the put in/take out (Or within a few miles of where one could leave vehicles.)

I'm not a wilderness neophyte. I know Canada has some really wild places out there and it's the unexpected things that can make your trip hard. (ie. Canadian mosquitoes.) Part of what I enjoy about the wild is the ruggedness and challenge of it. I'm open to all kinds of input from those of you who have done this or want to do it. How about a C-boats adventure next Summer/Fall? There's an idea.
Chester the Brace Monkey.
Gord
Pain Boater

try Canadian Canoe Routes site

Post by Gord »

The CCR web site has a great routes section and board to get accurate, current info on wilderness trips.

http://www.myccr.com/index.php

In my area we have 3 spring runs; The Dog (University), Pukaskwa and Cascade rivers that have excellent whitewater, are very remote, and drive in/out access if you add a few days of paddling on Lake Superior at the end of the trip.

Search the Cascade or Dog Rivers on YouTube for some great videos of these rivers.

Gord
jatakasawa
C Guru

Dog

Post by jatakasawa »

Thanks for the input. That website is awesome! I saw a few videos of the Dog earlier this year on YT. It was a two or three part series and was one of the sources of the inspiration for this. That looked like an intense and fulfilling trip.
Lengthy
C Guru

Post by Lengthy »

I see you're in central PA. Stop in at Tussey Mountain Outfitters in Bellefonte and talk to Ed, if you haven't already. He has taken a decent amount of trips north.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

The Dog videos were really inspiring. Here's a link for those that want to check em out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLxF01bz ... re=related

Check out the links on the right for parts II-V
jatakasawa
C Guru

Missinaibi

Post by jatakasawa »

The Missinaibi looks like a good float as well. 146 KM, 10 days with over 20 portages (if you choose or if the rapids are truly un-runnable.) The possibilities are endless in respect to Canadian routes.

http://www.myccr.com/canoedb/routeDetai ... outeid=187
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

I'm planning a trip to the Petawawa River some time this summer ('11). It isn't quite as isolated as the Missinaibi, but it's beautiful wilderness. Whitewater is pretty good as well.

I'm also planning to do the entire Missibaibi in either '12 or '13.

And I'll second MYCCR, cause that has some great information on it
Chris Loomis
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

Look at the trips black feather does can give you some ideas
I did the bonnet plume river a couple years back a 30 day trip and it was one of the best experiences of my life. I want to do another wilderness trip when I get the time and money. Mosquitos pittance bears man it's all great. I'm jealous
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

Sorry forgot to put in the link http://www.blackfeather.com
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

The dumoine, noire and coulonge all have two weeks long section that are wild enough without being so far in fact; all close enough to Ottawa.
I you really don't mind doing a whole lot of drive (getting to ottawa is about 9hrs drive for your I guess) then you can also get more north in quebec and get a whole lot of other options. Mistassibi nord-est is about 10 days with almost non-stop succession of short class 2-3 rapids all along the way, with nothing that's big enough to need a portage. Now that's canoeing at its best!

pm me of you need more info. Charles Leduc has a wealth of informations on its site too.

http://www.cartespleinair.org/

For me there's quite nothing like a trip of that kind. enjoy! oh and don't you forget a fishing rod! 8)
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
jededmon
Pain Boater

Post by jededmon »

I've been on a few of the mentioned runs... the Missinaibi, the Petawawa, and the Noire. Of all of those I think the Missinaibi fits your criteria best.

I enjoyed the Pet especially a few of the rapids were great, but when we were on it we saw quite a lot of people, though the access is pretty good.

The Noire is also great, pretty mellow and decent access by car for a short trip, though you will see a few cottages/ hunt clubs on the lower section.

The Missinaibi though had more of a wilderness feel the entire time, only saw a few people, decent amount of whitewater especially earlier in the season. Shuttle is really long but taking the train in and getting dropped at the river at Peterbell is nice. Hap wilson has a pretty in depth book on it. I think its available through Amazon.... Really any of the runs mentioned would be great, and yeah ccr will definitely have great info.

marclamenace-- Have you ran the Mistassibi? I have been wanting to at some point, possiblly next year or so... I had read somewhere that with the road access there is now, it's really only 5 or 6 days at the most... Where did you start for 10 days?

Jeff
jrsh92
C Guru

Post by jrsh92 »

Check out the Broadback. Completely isolated from start to finish, with a beautiful waterfall and up to class 5 BIG water, depending on the level.
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

For one week with an emphasis on WW, paddle Lievre or Batiscan. I wouldn't exactly call them remote but what's not remote to me might be very remote to someone else. A little further away and a lot more remote - the Mistassibi NE branch or as Gord recommends the Pukaskwa. These 4 are best done in May or early June (go in May and you'll most likely miss the bugs). For a trip later in the year consider the Ashuapmushuan, Harricana, Pontax or lower Broadback. The Dumoine is nice too all year round but the good section is a little short for a week plus trip. The Petawawa's busy all year long. The full river from Cedar to Travers makes a nice week long trip but you'll see people every day and the rapids aren't too exciting. The popular stretch from McManus to Traverse is short for a week plus. There aren't many rapids on the Missinaibi (especailly the lower river below Mattice).

For scenery of the breathtaking time you'll need to paddle the Moisie. Too you don't have 2.5 weeks. This river is easily accessed, has great rapids and scenery. I've paddled all these rivers, several more than once and it's this one I'd go back to again first.
jatakasawa
C Guru

Excellent info.

Post by jatakasawa »

All of this is excellent information. Allan Kesselheim describes paddling the Moisie in "Threading the Currents." That does sound like a good time but the trip duration and the time the river demands may not match up.

The Missinaibi seems like the practical choice and it seems to have been mentioned more than the rest. I realize that asking one's opinion about which beautiful wilderness river in Canada should I travel is like asking which M&M in the bag should I eat. There are plenty of choices, each with their own merit.

But I think the Missinaibi, it is. Late May/Early June if the ice is broken up...now it's time to move on to the logistics. I'll post another thread when I figure out the next step. Whoever wants to capitalize on this experience is more than welcome.
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

Just giving you a heads up about early June in Canada, especially on the Missinaibi. One word: Blackflies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWLddVRtxsw

3:50 into the video, you can see how bad the bugs are.

That said, if I was going to do the Missinaibi, I'd probably do it in June as well.
Chris Loomis