Russell fork

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

dwd58
Pain Boater

Russell fork

Post by dwd58 »

Anyone else on the Russell Fork this weekend. This was the last of the scheduled 850 cfs releases, next weekend is the 1100 cfs. The 850 is more than enopugh for me, I would hate to try it any higher.
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Upper Russell Fork

Post by fleckbass »

I was thinking about heading to the Upper Russell Fork this weekend. Anyone going?
I went raftin' once. I think it was in Ohio.

http://www.easternpaddling.com
scott curtis
C Guru

Post by scott curtis »

i'm tinking 1100 wood be nice, where meet?
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

PM

Post by fleckbass »

Scott, see PM

scott curtis
C Guru

Post by scott curtis »

i dont no where pound river is ,hahahaha :o flanagan dam to garden hole is about 5 miles ... twenty stitches is about the hit of it ... drive 7 hours for it i wouldn't .. at 850 it was swell for my 2 hour drive ... i wonder if thats the gospel that it is scheduled to be 1100 cfs ? few days away yet , so ~ scott
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Post by fleckbass »

It seems as the Pound is below Flannigan Dam. I heard the run isn't much and not worth the drive. I've just been wanting to go there for years and have never made it. Hear the scenery is nice, especially camping at Breaks. Hopefully it is still open. :roll:

dwd58
Pain Boater

Post by dwd58 »

yes, 1100 on saturday and sunday. Of course you have to add in the russell fork gauge at Haysi to it to get the total flow. Right now there is only around 30 cfs coming out of the haysi gage.
scott curtis
C Guru

Post by scott curtis »

its a nice litlle run i imagine 400 more cfs would be cool, its plenty big to hold it. i would call it 3 plus run at that level and have never ran it but 850. fleckbass if you go without me saturday , .. when u go under the bridge .. go right .. i seen your # on pm .. i'll call fri nite~ scott
watrwzrd
Pain Boater

Post by watrwzrd »

Yea ,Breaks is still there hehe 18.00 for water and elec p/n I`m tentatively going back for the last run.Most people meet at the lodge restaurant parking area around 9:00 I don`t think that anyone that goes will be disappointed. Try to time it in between the race participants get out at maybe 2:00 to 2:30 avoid maybe a little congestion at G/H and then maybe squeeze in the bottom run
dwd58
Pain Boater

Post by dwd58 »

Water wizard, do you run the meat grinder on the bottom run? If so how do you run it?
watrwzrd
Pain Boater

Post by watrwzrd »

well don`t go far left hehe nice munchy hole after the first small hole you will come to the horizon line the rock you see on the right sticking up out of the water you want to be about a foot or two to the left there is a small tongue that is where you want to be Ya`ll come on I got some shredder buddies some c- buddies I`m O/B we should be puttin on at about 10:30 at pound dam sat.,I will probably camp sat. night at breaks got some friends at motel tonight. We still meet at the breaks restaurant parking at 9:00
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Russell Fork

Post by fleckbass »

Looks like the drive deterred me again. :cry: Hopefully next year. Have fun! :D

Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

If the RF is flowing around 325 before the release water comes consider getting a local and running the class 5 section LOW. The push is out of the river, Maze rock is out of the water, Fist is a much easier miss, and the 1st ledge hole is all but gone at tripple drop. Get the class 5 section in the bag if you have a good roll and then grab the big 1100 flow on the top section??? Its a very serious river to swim (even low) so temper this suggestion as needed. This is exactly how I got to know the RF my first time and how I've introduced it to a couple people.

The release, if run the same now as 2 years ago, start on the upper section at 9am. Good fishing there at the portal too.
dwd58
Pain Boater

Post by dwd58 »

I run the upper and the lower, at normal flow and up to the 850 mark. The release flow at 850 can be pretty pushy, but release flow at 1100 is just to pushy for me.