the apes

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

scott curtis
C Guru

the apes

Post by scott curtis »

a local paddling club r doing the upper russel from flanagon to garden hole this sat. the 9th. they say its class 2 3 , is this rite?
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Post by OC1er »

Don't know about no apes, but it's a great class 3 run, some of the best scenery around also. I'll be up there for sure if you want to get up, don't know what time we're putting on but you're (and any others!) welcome to accompany us.

276 6082494

Dan P.
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

acccurate when you include the Pound section

Post by ohioboater »

Dam to confluence is mostly a class 1 flush with a short but fun class 3 right at the start. Some people skip that section and just put in at Bartlick. Never understood that - the run is short enough already. Why shorten it even more? Anyway, Bartlick to Garden Hole has 4 or 5 good class 3 rapids - most are technical and require at least one solid move to run cleanly/safely. Twenty Stitches gets called class 3 by some, class 4 by others. It requires at least two strong moves to run cleanly/safely. I've only run it at the higher release level and thought that it could have used another couple hundred cfs on top of what they were letting out.

If you can run the Lower Yough or Ocoee cleanly, you'll have fun (and probably end up wishing the run was longer). The scenery is stunning.

Supposed to be few more class 3/3+ drops below Garden Hole with a hike out along a side creek, but I've never done that. I hear if you miss the side creek, you're pretty much committed to the gorge.
watrwzrd
Pain Boater

Post by watrwzrd »

You can do the bottom section from above Ratliff hole to Elkhorn City Ky several nice rapids in 2 or 3 miles Do both makes a whole day
scott curtis
C Guru

Post by scott curtis »

two hour drive well worth it.. 2 hours a 15 at most. i missed a boof, but clean aside.