Tommy Hagg "The Gnarls Canoe Movie"

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

kenseb, I used a sony HDR-XR500 which was a $1400 camera a year ago..... it is vey much not a waterproof camera. It often has been wet from shooting in creeking rains, handled with soaked hands or waterfall mist.

It's about trashed with the zoom not very smooth as you can see in the first clip of tommy in the video. It was very hard making the "best I could shots", without smooth zoom-in ability. It's under a water damage plan which I suggest for any camera on the water. I paid $180 for the right to dunk the camera in a bucket after 23 months to get the capital out of it and roll it into a new camera...but truth be told this is either my 7th or 8th video camera and I never had one last 24 months anyway. I just bring up the reality of this as I wonder why people have cameras without water protection plans. I got this at B&H photo in manhattan which has a mail order option too.
mattbcha
C Boater

Post by mattbcha »

SIK!!! :o :o
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

I think it was Dizzy Dean that said, "It ain't braggin' if you done it!"
jatakasawa
C Guru

Excellent work

Post by jatakasawa »

That's doin' work SON! 2010 was definitely your Summer to break through. Too bad I was sidelined and not there to witness it. I'll be there soon, though...and uh...maybe a little more upright! 8)
Chester the Brace Monkey.
djutzi
C Guru

Post by djutzi »

nice work. some serious stones on display there.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I'm starting to believe too Gnarlz! Way better video than the tuck-and-roll teaser of nothing but the drops. Great to see how you work the river (and get worked by the river!).

Despite some of your BS posts (xJ, C-1 is easy, etc.), that video was worth waiting for! Congrats to you.

Pat.
kanur
C Guru

Post by kanur »

WOW!
FullGnarlzOC there is no question that you are well on the way to being one of the best ever. But you are at a crossroads, you can be a Corran or a Dooley. I hope you make the right choice.

Either way you are still putting most (almost all) of us to shame and you are going to be the future face of hard core open boating. Do us proud and don't belittle the masses.

Respectfully,
Dennis Jones
Dennis

"Just Cause I Don't Run My Mouth Don't Mean I Got Nothing To Say" Mike Cooley DBT
rcgalwa
Pain Boater

Post by rcgalwa »

Sweet footage. I was impressed when I started watching, and was shocked when I realized that I used to own that boat! I am not the guy you bought it from, he was a friend who bought it from me. You are at least the 4th owner that I know of. So by the description at the end, and need for the plastic boat, does this mean the detonator is toast? If so good job! She served many a boater well!
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

haven't been able to watch it yet, phone won't show it. but what i really want to see is part 2 aka tommy meets elvis in the room. where is the footy on that one?
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

After just a couple of years paddling! I'm really p*ssed. :roll:

Spend a year training in C1 slalom, then a year practicing OC1 slalom and he could be one of the best around. Another AB, even.

But remember, FullGnarz. You've been lucky so far, but what you are doing is inherently dangerous. None of us are immortal, and all it takes is one mistake. I've lost three friends who were better paddlers than you (and I came pretty close myself).
Bob P
Louie

Post by Louie »

Gabb elvis left the room and yes he took Tommy paddle with him but he left the room. Tommy finished the UG with a customer paddle.

Gabb if you had been with us you could have Elvis and Tommy sharein a room.
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

sick.... louie - i was upside down long enough to carve "eddy was here" on the rock.

someones gotta check it out next year ;) but you cant read wut it says unless your upside down in the boat.

now... what paddle should i get :)

ps. gabe - i think wayne got the whole thing on camera.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

:D

watched the creekin footie today. i will admit to having the sound off. there are some nice drops in there and even a couple decent lines. you certainly have a very good roll in your canoe.
Plumbpass
C Boater

Post by Plumbpass »

That's great stuff!
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

That was some pretty insane footage. You got balls, dude.
Chris Loomis