L'Open vs. L'Decked

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Paddling an Outrage now, but would like to try something with edges. But I'm hesitant to give up too much in terms of dryness, stability or hull speed. I've tried lots of the sub-11' boats, but felt that at my weight it just sucks the fun out of them.

Dabble in C-1 too , have a Score I never got very comforable in, and I'm trying a Redline now. Trouble is, I'm not paddling much as these days, so learning to playboat hasn't been a priority. I'll stick with the Redline as my C-1 for now.

I would like to replace the Outrage though. Viper 12, Viper 11, Ocoee, Hellman Otter or L'Edge? Royalex probably looses out to the Otter or the L'Edge.

Pat.
Marc Evans
C Guru

Post by Marc Evans »

Pat,

I'm 185 and really like the edges, stabillity and playability of the Spanish Fly. As I recall, Scott Broam is about your weight (220 I think) and also likes the fly. Okay, a Fly is not your traditional OC1 and it is a wet ride (I use a pump). Based on the reviews I'd say that the L'Edge has nearly all of the qualities of the Fly, but in a traditional package and a much drier ride. In addition, the L'Edge would seem to have more volume than the Fly and therefore should be able to carry greater weight.

Both boats are going to be slow compared to an outrage, but I never found that to be a much of a drawback. My outrage just sits and collects dust.

So, when you decide to become the first Northwesterner to get a L'Edge, let me know, I'll be happy to help you break it in.

Marc
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Two problems witht he Fly Marc: 1. It's too wet for my interests. 2. I've never even seen one out here.

Yeah, the L'Edge has good depth & width, but I can't help be spooked by the short length, shorter than the Zoom, Solito, Prelude and other boats that I find to be sluggish and/or unstable with me in them. Anyway, enough of my moaning. I'll let you know when we get one out here, one way or another.

Pat.
Wouter Kieboom
c

Re: L'Open vs. L'Decked

Post by Wouter Kieboom »

Craig Smerda wrote:
yarnellboat wrote: p.s. Craig, the trend with kayak makers seems to be cranking out lots of big XL size boats in all styles. So, when do we get the L'Edge 10-4?

Pat.
... if and when we would ever do a 10'-4" version it would probably be to pick up some more hull speed... but this mold has to get paid for first... and I can assure you that it wasn't cheap. :wink:
And what about a tandem version?

I could imagine a tandem "L'Edge" to be a very interesting boat. And, as far as I know, no PE OC2 exists yet.

Wouter
Louie

Post by Louie »

bob has just pick up some ash Gunnels for his and my boats. I don't know how much of the deck Bob will take off of his but I know how much of mine i am gettin rid of, Particaly decked with custom cut outs in the remainin decks, some work on the dog dick red color, and a few other customized features. Who ever on here said we were all going to look like don't have much of an imagination.

The new saddle ain't gettin rave review but a wedge shaped piece of foam to level and raise the seat should be the biggest fix that will have to be done to get the outfittin right. I had to cut three inches of foam off the riser part of the saddle on all my Teaureau to let me move back. i hope everyone will try different position of the saddle to get the boat trimmed out to fit them selfs. We all ain't built alike and the boss can't make twenty differnt outfittin templates. he can get us close and then we have to make it work for us. Also don't be suprise when you go from skin to the wind river dress for this time of the year to drysuit with four layers on underneith for Dec, Jan , Feb if you find the boat handlin different and not fittin the same, remember the boat and outfittin ain't change how you fit in it is what has changed
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Louie wrote:The new saddle ain't gettin rave review but a wedge shaped piece of foam to level and raise the seat should be the biggest fix that will have to be done to get the outfittin right. I had to cut three inches of foam off the riser part of the saddle on all my Teaureau to let me move back.
That's an interesting comment... Andrew Westwood found it to be the only boat he could comfortably paddle a few weekends ago with his knee troubles and just getting a "go ahead" from the doctor. Most have commented the same.

Secondly... if you aren't "quite in"... you generally trim the holes where your legs go more than you would the back of the saddle... otherwide you'll just end up stern heavy/bow light and not with your legs/thighs locked into the hooks. Trim a little from each if need be... but don't just trim the back of the saddle.

This boat will be extremely trim sensitive much like a Fly or any other short boats. Of course like any boat... you need to set it up for yourself. Stock outfitting always requires some adjustments.

One easy example is the knee pads... they're just glued in there from the factory so you have something to kneel on right away. I prefer to make knee wedge block pads so my knees can't shift from side to side.

Oh well...
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
virob
c

Post by virob »

Hey Pat,

The Otter should be fine for you weight-wise and you are welcome to try mine. I'm hoping to make it to rivers week next year. I'm about 195lb and am nowhere near it's limit.
That being said, I think you should get the L'Edge so I can demo it :D

yarnellboat wrote:
I would like to replace the Outrage though. Viper 12, Viper 11, Ocoee, Hellman Otter or L'Edge? Royalex probably looses out to the Otter or the L'Edge.

Pat.
kanur
C Guru

Post by kanur »

To get the thread back on track, I prefer open. For starters I just plain like the looks better.

Having had decked OC's (Skeeter, Spanish Fly) they were always a pain to dump water out of. Decked or open you are going to get water in them so it may as well be easy to get out.

The open version is also a lot easier to store your stuff in, mind you I carry very little stuff (small dry bag, first aid kit, and water) most of the time but I like an easy way to store it. I biner each item to the lacing and slid them between the air bag and hull. The decked L'Edge like the Fly makes it hard to do.

Just my thoughts and it will be fun to see how other people customize theirs.

BTW I think the saddle rocks.
Dennis

"Just Cause I Don't Run My Mouth Don't Mean I Got Nothing To Say" Mike Cooley DBT
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Well, it's sounding like it might handle the weight pretty well. And it's sounding like there's some practical disadvantages to the decked version for loading, dumping, stowing stuff etc. So I Just need to determine whether the dryness-factor is really that big a difference.

I'll probably eventually get a pump too, which may favour me going open.

And hey Westerns, rumour is that we will have a decked L'Edge available for demo at the Tamihi Five-0 slalom in Chilliwack Sept 18-19. :P

Pat.
Louie

Post by Louie »

OPEN.............. DECKED IS WAY TOO HEAVY, BUT OPEN OR DECK IT IS THE SWEETEST RIDE OUT THERE.
kimmieOC1
C Guru

Post by kimmieOC1 »

How much heavier than a spanish fly are we talkin?
Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

Pat.[/quote]

You can get the Vippers in Kevlar Duraflex, made by Western Canoeing in BC. Yukon have a Vipper 12 that as been heavily used and in great shape!!

The Otter is still on my short list with the decked l'Èdge(that I would partly open)...
I know I will get an other boat in the spring!!
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I've thought about getting a composite Viper, but I find the 12 a little long and the 11 a little wet. I need to paddle them more.

In my mind Hellman has a tougher layup than anything Western does, but I could be mistaken. At least it seems that people are more protective of their Vipers in the frequent low-water runs we do around here.

Pat.
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

Hi Pat
The kevlar duraflex boats from Western are bomber. I have some boats here that are 18 years old and still going strong and I dont treat anything lightly.I have a Merganser that started out under a truck on a 100 ft tobagon ride when I decide to ender my truck. that is another story
The stuff is tough.
As to Viper 11 over 12. Just started paddling my Viper 12 again and for river running it has been great. Fast, tracks well and it pretty dry. It is a lot of boat to move when full but it does stay drier than the 11.

The Ledge is gonna make some big waves, it is the boat people have been waiting for. It is dry and stable. I am not much smaller than you and I had a blast in it. I also have a Taureau that is a different beast. Have tried a Spanish Fly, some of the other Esquif, lots of Daggers and Mohawks, the Ledge is something new.

They are supposed to be working on a plate system for thigh straps. Have not seen it but hope to soon. Iwill be getting a Ledge for next season. The other boat you could look at is a Bulldog from Composite Creations. pretty cool boat and No air bags, built in air tanks
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Ordered an open L'Edge through Kaz

Post by Wendy »

HE is headed up to pick 2 up, so anyone who wants an open version contact him. As a mere mortal paddler I sure love boofin in it. As Dooley says resurfaces very nicely.