Is John Mason (Mountain Surf) a REAL sprayskirt supplier?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

bob_kaiser

Is John Mason (Mountain Surf) a REAL sprayskirt supplier?

Post by bob_kaiser »

At the end of May, I started the process of ordering a custom sprayskirt for my Drakkar Wheelboy. I sit here in August without my sprayskirt.

John required payment up-front, which makes sense for custom work. His e-mail responsiveness is spotty and can be a week or more. Have I been scammed?

In the past, this forum liked Mountain Surf for custom skirts, so I assumed the best.

Bumming IN Boise, Idaho
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

I have no experience with Mountain Surf, but have ordered custom C-1 Skirts from Snap Dragon and found them to be very prompt in delivery.

John
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Post by OC1er »

Try asking over on Boatertalk, I recall seeing several threads about the current state of Mountain Skirt.
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Sounds like that rascal is paddling. Sorry you're waiting on the skirt.

John got caught out by our immigration and work permit laws when he returned to is native Canada and couldn't get back. He set up a skirt operation in Canada. That was quite a while ago. I'm on Boatertalk a lot and got the impression he was delivering products ok.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I have several Mountain Surf skirts purchased from John over the years that are great skirts - and were worth the wait (custom). That said, when he was in the process of setting up shop in Canada and I needed a skirt for the Mentor I went with SkirtWorks, and have been very pleased with the quality as well as the exceptional service.

I'd say try and call John directly vs. dealing via e-mail. I've found that to have worked well in the past at cutting through lost e-mails and other problems.
Keep the C!
Adam
bob_kaiser

Sir Adam, thank you for the quality comments

Post by bob_kaiser »

Thank you for the comments and I expect to receive my sprayskirt sometime in the future. It's frustrating to have large communication gaps, it doesn't matter if by phone or e-mail.
bob_kaiser

I want to close the loop on my Mountain Surf sprayskirt

Post by bob_kaiser »

I received my Mountain Surf Wheelboy sprayskirt last night and it fits great. The quality is fantastic.

It's OK for me to be a bit frustrated with the process -- I do love a happy ending.
Rand C1
C Guru

Post by Rand C1 »

I got a skirt for my Cascade from John Mason. I love the skirt, durable, never pops, but not hard to get on and off. He had it hand delivered to me at Moose Fest by Billy Harris. Anyway he really worked with me and I liked the personal touch.
Rand