River running c-2

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Yukon
Yukan Canoe

River running c-2

Post by Yukon »

Just did a run down the Tatshenshini yesterday, some friends had an Esquif canyon one with a spray deck and one with out. Both had lots of bailing to do. Was wondering why there is no recreational river running c-2's out there? Maybe that can be Esquifs next project??? Plastic, comfortable and verstatile.
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

I don't think there is a market for a production C2. There just aren't enough people who want to paddle tandem open or closed.
I bet if you posted that you wanted a used C2 you would get a half dozen replies from folks hangin on to perfectly good ones that they don't paddle any more. I love paddling C2 but I can't find anyone who will commit to paddling more than once a season outside of racing.
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Go ask Shaggy Designs, they've been the only people to innovate in C2 in a long time, and they're also the only people I can think of who're geared up for making small batches of strange boats.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
bushpaddler
C Guru

Post by bushpaddler »

I'd like to have a C2 Creeker, moderate length and more volume in bow and stern compared to our Canoah Amerika C2. Shorter than a DynamicDuo, more Rocker and a little wider. Would be really nice to stay a little more up on Class III-IV and more...

I think that'll be a dream as long as I have enough money left to make a rotated plastic one on my own. If ever... :(

Florian
http://www.bushpaddler.de/bilderundtouren.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Should have been at Tandem-O-dium and Tan-dam-nation! There was a C2 in the mix! Jim where were you? :wink:

Last edited by PAC on Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Depends on what you are looking for...

in the "recent memory" category there are a few Canoah Americana's around in the US (very few). I'd like to get my hands on one one of these days:).

I don't think the Imperial Cruiser (I think that's correct) ever quite made it in to production (Shaggy Designs boat). That said, contact them. Who knows where the prototype is, or if it's for sale;)... or if they'd make another :o

If you want a river runner, get a recent-ish (longer) slalom design. Cheap for what you get, and very, very nice. I really like my Tomahawk, and I know the Patriot is another really nice boat.

If you're frugal, look for an older design (Gemini) . You can likely get that for free!

If you just want to get down tandem, look for a Hydra Duet. It's a pig, but some folks like 'em. Plastic too!

Or get a Shredder:)
Keep the C!
Adam
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

PAC wrote:SHould have been at Tandem-O-dium and Tan-dam-nation! There was a C2 in the mix! Jim where were you? :wink:
In the month of July I paddled 3 weekends in a row OC-2 on the Fife Brook in MA. I had a great time, did 360's all down the river in every hole that was big enough. Flat spins not window shading. I'll be down in DC in August with the C2 but I couldn't work in tandemonium. Walt and I have run the loop in the Mama 410, we flipped when we tried side surfin the entrance wave but otherwise had a good time.

till next
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

I love paddling C2 but I can't find anyone who will commit to paddling more than once a season outside of racing.
If you would like to do a bunch of C-2 padling let me know. We could meet at the Dryway. I've got four of them at my house. Two of them are Hydras and the other two are high volume glass/Kevlar end holers. I would absolutely love to do some upscale C-2 river running again.

Jim
mccabekev
c

Post by mccabekev »

speaking of c2, what is the biggest drop anyone has done in a c2?

haven't seen any pictures of big waterfalls done tandem
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

Lots of people paddling tandem open canoes up here. Would be very fun to not have to bail and have a boat similar to an Open Canoe with a spray deck that actually kept out water.
Hard to just try out a c-2 here as none around and shipping is a fortune.
How hard is it to jump into a race c-2 and be able to do much with it?
Motoari
Pain Boater

Post by Motoari »

Here is a "recreational river running c-2" sample. :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DumLK8WIYjE&hd=1
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

As for the highest I'm sure there are higher run but here is Ohiopyle Falls @ roughly 15! This is open every summer during the

Falls Race weekend... Aug 21st this year!

Just say'n if you want to step up a giver it a go!!!!

For more info check out... http://www.fallsrace.com/

PS - Nice video Motoari...way to have fun!!! Looks like you need some TOG stickers!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
icyone
C Guru

big drop

Post by icyone »

I think Gt Falls was done years ago in C-2 -- maybe Gemini. Can't recall who it was, one of the DC C-2 pairs -- maybe Flack & Gutschick??

My partner wanted to borrow a Hydra & run it, but we never got it together.
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

speaking of c2, what is the biggest drop anyone has done in a c2?
The biggest "drop" that I've personally done in a C-2 is Fowlersville Falls on the Bottom Moose in NY. It's not a vertical drop though but a 48 foot, 45+ degree slide like Oceana (sp?). The highest "vertical" drop was 18-foot Wonder Falls on the Big Sandy and Agers Falls on the Bottom Moose (also 18 feet). I know that this can't possibly be the highest C-2 drops ever run though.

Jim
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

Which boats did you run the drops in?