Longboat a couple of questions

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Louie

Longboat a couple of questions

Post by Louie »

I was kinda far away but was that you that put on the Savage today? Maybe you and a small child five or six years old, no helments. Looked your same boat and floatation you had at ALF? Fliped in the first couple of thousand yards? Your boat got away and went a couple of two or three miles by itself. Fliped three boaters who despite you floatation had trouble gettin your boat to the bank. I ain't sure it was you but some people said whoever it was had they your swimmin technique. All the above aside the really only important question is :was the beer still inside your floatation when you got your boat back, they did give you your boat back didn't they? I agree with you that that rollin is overrated but dam if I would put in more floatation, at least enought for a 12 pack.

One other thing don't pay any attention to a few of the older GDI Jr. members. I think you extensive speakin part in the Canoe movie may have chaffed a couple of them
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

That sure was a fun high speed chase...trying to bump a 17ft kennebec without flotation to shore through 100fpm, Class III-IV. I even boat over boat'ed it at some point during the chase, only to watch it smash end over end into 3 or 4 more pour-overs before it got pinned on Island Rapid. I had given up after that point, but Lengthy stayed with it, and eventually got it to shore. Props to him... and Longboatin... you sure have a loyal friend right there. Cuz it would have been real easy to say F' it, and teach you a think or two about flotation.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
Louie

Post by Louie »

I THOUGHT THAT WAS HIM
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

twas me

Post by Longboatin »

Yup Louie was me. Hey shid happens, the big boat surfs the big boat sinks, simple as that.
Crazy thing is that boat wuz tryin to follow me an the boy down to the takeout. Cuz it wuz pinned nice an purfect at first, upside down, no wrap, no real damage, jus waitin fur the water to come down. But, after we climbed up the hill to the road, an hitched a ride, she unpinned and went bombin down stream. They had to make it pin again to stop it. And I really not sure why they all continued to chase it. I told em shoulda let it go. It had attained oneness wid the river, and it woulda bin cool to see if could a rilly made to the takeout by itself.
I can fully accept a write-off, it just never seem ta happen. :o
Weel, another new thwart & deckplate, and she'll be cruisin easy agin.
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

1 more thing

Post by Longboatin »

Almost forgot, the beer survived nice an snug in the cooler, divvied up by rest of da crew when they finally got hold of it.
Louie

Post by Louie »

Ya I'd go with a twelve pack holder........... but then again I saw Photon with the entire inside of a Spanish Fly with 3 inch of foam on all the interier surfaces. In your boat you could go with five inch deep foam on all interier surfaces (please cover that dam twart that you like to land on) get a two and 9/16 hole saw and cut in the required number of cup holders. I say with like twenty four in it any dam body would chase your boat, hades the control freak, church goers would go after it just to keep you form drink all that. I can do you a sketch if you like. Pull all the diamentions, and make me a paper templet of the crosscut view of your boat. I hear the Savage was a lot like the Hiawassee. BTW Fred said the Upper Tellico is much harder than the Upper Yough, heck three of his swims was in the eddies below the drops.
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Gumpy might be a good person to ask about whether the U.Tellico is harder or the UY.

When longboatin ran baby falls... did he make it all the way down there in his longboat? or did he just drag his boat down to run the falls?

And since Fred skipped out on the savage on sunday... does that mean that the Savage is harder than both the UY and UT??!? =)
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

i would say that since the upper tellico is so short, you've only got enough time for maybe 3 or 4 beers, leaving you mostly sober for the only class 4 rapid (knee). :roll:

the upper yough on the other hand gives you plenty of time to drink all you can carry (in a short boat anyway), and so becomes more challenging the further you get. 8)

now if longboatin follows louie's instructions, he'll be able to carry enough that even swimmin the tellico will be fun :lol:
Joe
PincheLocoGringo
Pain Boater

Post by PincheLocoGringo »

The Savage is probably not harder, just I get hinckey sometimes and don't run sh...stuff even when I can. GDI has taken to calling these my "walks of shame". Doesn't mean anything about the run other than my head isn't in it.
If common sense were the prevailing wage, I'd always be broke.
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

yass,yass

Post by Longboatin »

gnarlz - yep put in just upstream of da race start - bashed down some ledges to Baby Falls - some smoothly some not so much...
wish I coulda kept goin to actually have boated wid GDI.
Louie

Post by Louie »

Well long boat I hate to break this too you but not only have you boated with us you are also a member of the GDI, of course only with the rank of Jumior Jr. It is kinda of like herpies, once you are a member you can't get rid of the status. Risa Callaway, Nolan, Woody, hades 100's of unsuspecting boater have mistakenly boated with us and are now tained for not only life, but this is something that will follow them long after thay have been worm food and turned to dust.

About Fred...we figured there would be at least one grown up along to provide adult supervision, just shows to go ya, you can't trust a bunch of Yankees to do anything right.
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Oh there was adult supervision alright... I "supervised" many swims. hahaha. Don't take any of this to heart Fred...you're still new to paddling, so keep grinding away. Also - getting a roll down might be of great benefit to you, as you'll often find yourself over your head with the GDI guys... if you can roll everytime, the hard runs won't be as big of a problem.

But then again...wuts the fun in rolling when you can swim?!? lol