Compare Zephyr and Whirlwind

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Alan S
C Boater

Post by Alan S »

I can't compare to the Whitesell but I find the Zephyr to be really dry for a 11' boat and not all that edgy. It's a compromise between hard and soft chines and pretty forgiving.
canoemid
C Guru

Post by canoemid »

Thanks to eveyone who has given input. Unfortunately someone bought the boat tonight before I could get to it. I'm pretty convinced I could enjoy the Whirlwind, but I'll have to dry to find one to demo and possibly purchase.

I've only paddled my Zephyr on small stuff. It's in great shape with no cracks. So I'll keep looking for something to replace it with.

Again, I've never started a forum like this, so thanks again for everybody's input and wisdom.
canoemid
C Guru

Post by canoemid »

Another point, I paddled the Outrage and really liked it, just a bit heavy for what I'm looking for. Your comparison of the the Zephyr and Outrage is exaclty what I thought and that's why I started researching the Whirlwind.

Just for knowledge, what is the Outrage weight with wood trim as opposed to vinyl?

Thanks. And if anybody wants to sell a Whirlwind in my area, let me know.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I forgot that I actually *own* one :

Let me check on that other local one that isn't yard art...
smac
c

Post by smac »

The Whirlwind has been my main boat for over 20 years. I just keep patching it up. It is great for the bigger water here out west. Very dry, kinda slow due to full front(hence dry) I have the light layup so is close to Z weight. Seems the Z would be nicer for creeking back east though. The W ref to sharp chines was a long time ago when hullswere more rounded, except for the Viper. The Z has more initial stability with it's flat bottom, the W takes a little getting used to.

so where was that Whirlwind for sale? :wink:
smac
c

Post by smac »

sorry didn't see page 2 :oops: