Viper Gunwale cracks!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Einar
CBoats Addict

Viper Gunwale cracks!

Post by Einar »

Has any one had a problem with their new Mohawk gunwales cracking/shattering?
I have a 2 year old Viper 11 royalex, new from the factory, and the gunwales have cracked in 4 places. At first one crack didn't bother me as it is an aggressive boat and I am an aggressive paddler but as 3 more showed up I figured out that in three of the breaks the plastic material was cracking where the boat rests on the rack and one is in the middle of the gunwale length. Actually the cracks are more like total fracturing, as if the material is weak. This is my 3rd Viper and 4th Mohawk boat and I have never had or heard of this problem before. I just use tape straps into a cam buckle to secure the boats to the rack, about the kindest weight distributing system around.
As to experience I am a long time paddler and have seen a lot of problems but this "a new to me". If you reply to me I can send photos.
Any comments, similar experiences. Thanks
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Have you contacted Mohawk? Seems like the right place to start. To answer your question - haven't heard of that before.
jrsh92
C Guru

Post by jrsh92 »

I don't really know about that problem and I haven't seen it... but I'd probably agree with you that if you're treating it the same way as you've treated your other boats, then there is probably something wrong with that specific boat's gunwales, either a material or molding problem that just makes them brittle. Again I can't offer much insight on how much or what will break a plastic gunwale but if you have a bunch of experience and you've never seen it before-- it's probably a defect. Getting in touch with Mohawk might indeed be the best idea.[/list]
Einar
CBoats Addict

Original: Broken Mohawk Viper 11 gunwales

Post by Einar »

I have sent an email into Mohawk with accompanying photos asking that they ship me gunwales at their expense and I will put them on at my time and expense. I'll let you know how that goes.
I rechecked the thickness of the gunwales before starting temporary patch up and they are definitely thin and fragile in my experience. To hold the loose pieces together I injected SikaFlex 291 into the channels and will let that cure for 24 hours.
In 12 years of paddling and 10 different makes and models of tripping and ww canoes I haven't had this problem before, I just thought I would post it out there for similar experiences. Thanks
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

I will check that out as soon as I go in 2maro. Havent seen but a couple of our gunwals brake. Me and Alex have both broke a rail but it was aftr being pinned.
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

Nice of you to air your problems on a public forum before even talking to the manufacturer first.
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
Einar
CBoats Addict

You are right

Post by Einar »

You are right, I am wrong. My curiosity lead me to post a question and to email Mohawk in the same afternoon session. After purchasing 4 of Mohawks products, 3 of them of the same hull design, I have made an mistake and the majority of replies support your opinion. I apologize to you and to Mohawk. I like both of my Viper 11s. I would like to end the discussion on this topic.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Mr.DeadLegs wrote:Nice of you to air your problems on a public forum before even talking to the manufacturer first.
You're say that like it's a bad thing.

So long as he doesn't start slagging mohawk off unduly before they've had a chance to rectify the situation, then he's not being unreasonable asking if others have seen this problem.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Einar
CBoats Addict

Thank you Mohawk

Post by Einar »

This item has been quickly dealt with by Greg at Mohawk, we are both happy. Good company, happy customer.