Bootie Drying

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

zappaddles
Pain Boater

Bootie Drying

Post by zappaddles »

Lets hear some ideas on bootie drying. Not the one you're born with...the ones you wear boating.
Paddle More.
Georeference less.
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

I usually just toss mine out in the sun... They also have some holes in them which I'm sure helps. As long as they are in a place with some airflow, they should be good to go. Make sure you don't forget em in some kind of gear bag.... I have a friend who I make put his boots in the back of the truck when we go boating simply because of the smell. :o
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I thought I had pix in my gallery, but no... I took some (abt a dozen) 18" pieces of 1" pvc and zip tied them vertically in a milk crate. This is set on top of a box fan laying on its side on top up off the floor (another milk crate would be great). I use this to dry booties, gloves, pogies, hats, etc.
ckingoc1
C Guru

Post by ckingoc1 »

I usually just put them on the heat/air floor register in the dining room :P
This may be why she gave me a boot dryer for Christmas :roll:
Crash
C Boater

Post by Crash »

News paper pushed litely in.don't forget change after 24 hrs
C-Ya+Ride Safe
Crash
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Forgot about putting them under the hood of the truck - makes them warm and dry for the next day. Learned that trick from some old timers who did that with wet suits. I have some straps/buckles to keep them in place on the side of the ammo can with my tire tools:
jroneil
C Guru

Post by jroneil »

I put them in the drier this weekend with the wet suit on delicate low heat my wife didn't like it but I could not hear it so I didn't didn't see the problem :lol:
Last edited by jroneil on Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

huh? :roll: make an effort to dry your booties?
I just spread my gear out (sometimes). if it dries.. cool. if not.. cool. makes no diff. to me.
Larry
Georgia Stu
C Boater

Post by Georgia Stu »

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt24 ... _dryer.jpg

Here's a little something I threw together for ALF 2010, using some 1" PVC pipe and fittings I had laying around. The flex tubing was left over from a bilge pump project, connected to a travel hair dryer. I made a duct tape boot to connect the two, with the smooth side of the duct tape on both the inside and outside of the boot to keep it from getting all goopy. Still, the hair dryer had to be used on the cool setting to keep the duct tape from getting gloppy. Next time I'll try to find something better to use for this. It could easily be made cheaper by not using the 45s or the couplings on the ends of the tubes (done only to keep from snagging booties or socks on the rough PVC ends).

It worked GREAT, but a mite noisy b/c of this hair dryer. None of the fittings are glued, so it's easy to take apart OR expand. However, the more outlets, the less air to each one. My kids (rolling their eyes, of course) said it looks like a tarantula.
zappaddles
Pain Boater

Post by zappaddles »

The Tarantula idea looks like a plan. Thanks.

Larry don't dry his booties? Whew, what a funk that must be.
SkeeterGuy86
Select Paddles Sponsored Paddler

Post by SkeeterGuy86 »

when i put the boat away (store it at a shop in the corner) i hang the booties on the top of my saddle ... or i just throw them on the back deck and let the sun bake them dry
SG86

here in the south east god paddles on the left and that's how he made our rivers ~ oc1paddlr

http://select-kayaks.com/en/paddles/canoe-raft/c1/
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I used to put a drop or two of Dr. Botulism's (?) liquid castile soap in each bootie just before donning them. It did make them a bit squirmy underfoot at first, but the soap and the water entering the booties got the sweat out, and the booties didn't get smelly.

Maybe a few drops of Tabasco would keep your feet warm and kill the bacteria too.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

As using neoprene socks, it's easy to turn inside out to let dry on their own

and find when coupled with some sort of wet-wearable shoe, gives better traction and support than a wetsuit bootie.

Occasionally I slide each one (one at a time) on tailpipe, while engine is running to fumigate, as I belive this will kill anything attempting to thrive there... and a steamy warm booty, really works wonders on icy cold days.
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

When unpacking from a trip I take my booties to the basement along with the damp towels, polypropolene and fleece. The latter goes in the washer & then the dryer, while the booties get placed on top of the furnace with a foot-long piece of wooden dowel or molding shoved in each to keep them open to the air. Our small furnace runs year-round as the heat source for our hot water-on demand system so after sitting on top for 2-3 days the booties are dry and toasty.

NOTE: Placement on top of a radiator or hot air vent would work just as well - perhaps even better given how well insulated our furnace is - but would have other, less desireable olfactory consequences, perhaps resulting in divorce.

John
Alan S
C Boater

Post by Alan S »

Move to a place where the air is dry. Set them out.