Question

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

pdown2
C Guru

Question

Post by pdown2 »

Had to take a year off from canoes and paddle kayaks but much like a moth to fire I'm coming back. So question, looking for a fun boat to beat down SE creeks/rivers over the summer. Looking at the Spanish Fly or Prelude but are there any "new" designs out there? Like the Spanish Fly cause it fits in the back of the truck......wish I could find another Quake though.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

yup... lot's of them :wink:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

promises... promises....,

but nothing better yet.

Both companies still talking, and appear near something, but nothing more than that so far.
Louie

Post by Louie »

Well I don't know about the "other" company and their PE boat or timeline, but the company I work for has a new boat out and a lot of us have paddled it. The redesigned version is out but our boss is a perfectionist and this time it ain't goin to be out for use till he feels it is ready.

As excited as I am about our new boat and Mohawks plans for better material, the big news is the fact that the Big Dog and Blackfly are out. I was givin Clay wright hades the other day at the put in and I ask him the last time that three new open boats had come out in one year. (he said 97, some body want to snoop that). to have a new company makin canoe and to have a Kayak company to start makin canoes is a big deal if you ask me.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

promises... promises...

We have yet to see any... maybe a few boaters have tired a prototype or two, but the man asked about buying a creek boat.

And while I fully wish everyone associated with 'Big Dog' and 'Blackfly' the best of luck... I hardly believe they qualify to fit the description of something that are creek and river running canoes. I'm not discounting or belittling anyones designs, only your mention of these as viable to fit the need. As these two playboats are not something most paddlers would feel fit's the description (of creek boat or river running), and only one (the Blackfly) can be purchased at the moment (per the original post). So, as of this week, month, and maybe season... the others are still promises and yet untried. I too certainly look forward to what is to come... with interest, hope, and desire.

As said before - there are some new options on the horizon.

added...

Well ... Dang it - there is the Maxim.... how could I forget it, I just tried it this weekend, and was pleasantly surprised. It's just that I'm still holding out for something besides ABS.
Last edited by philcanoe on Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Louie

Post by Louie »

You don't think the big dog will be a good creek boat? I think I remember the Quake and Superfly were both designed as Rodeo boat and turned out to be pretty good creek boats Creek boats. I am not postive but I think the Spanish Fly came out right as Rodeo was takin it last breath, that is what you paddle right? Phil don't the ABS hold you back, I think you belong in a Maxium.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

you two just kill me some days :lol:

we're close... but still a little behind schedule... I think the ends will justify the means :wink:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

waiting patiently....

....rather for you to get it right, than just get it.

((although am down to one cracked fly, and paddling the other with two patches... as the skeeters are truly backup only))
pdown2
C Guru

Post by pdown2 »

Blackfly looks like an awesome playboat, not sure if I'd try it on a creek. The L'edge and Force OC1 are solid looking boats but like Philcanoe said you can't buy them currently and there is no release date.....not even an ETA on release. I'm a mere nonsponsored out-of-the-loop mortal looking for a new boat to beat up in the SE this year......think summertime Tellico & Chattooga and Ocoee.

Side note - Got to agree with the Quake was a great WET creekboat, best boat I ever paddled.

I've heard rumors that the L'edge and Force OC1 are appearing at ALF. If I had a boat I'd head that way and beg for some seat time but I'm not showing up at ALF with my Nomad in nonC1 format.....that and after a year of only paddling a canoe in the form of an OT Penboscot, I'll be swimming for a few.
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

philcanoe wrote:I hardly believe they qualify to fit the description of something that are creek and river running canoes. I'm not discounting or belittling anyones designs, only your mention of these as viable to fit the need.
I don't disagree, but I will say "just you wait." I've got some tricks up my sleeve, but right now I'm still a one man operation, and pretty well under-capitalized right now- need to sell some boats first. So that doesn't really address the original post.

And for the record, I sold the first Blackfly last year- but it was still a 2010 model year boat, so I'm not sure how you want to count that.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
Louie

Post by Louie »

We have a lot of non single sticker who show up and paddle with us. Tom and Katie have been down here like eight year in a row and they are both are butt boaters, bring what you got and chances are you will get to borrow a real boat.

The Esquif new new boat will be on sale before the Spring is over and this is from the owner. I don't know the timetable for the big dog boat.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

RodeoClown wrote:
philcanoe wrote:...
I don't disagree, but I will say "just you wait." I've got some tricks up my sleeve, but right now I'm still a one man operation, and pretty well under-capitalized right now- need to sell some boats first. So that doesn't really address the original post.

And for the record, I sold the first Blackfly last year- but it was still a 2010 model year boat, so I'm not sure how you want to count that.
From what you've shown, I wish you luck....for the Blackfly looks very good for what it's designed for. Just not really something I'd like to run off drops. However like said, that wasn't part of the design criteria. Can't wait to see, what's next....

Really 'appreciate' the manner in which the remark was taken, for you've done really well so far.
bob mckee
C Boater

Post by bob mckee »

There are some demo / prototype Big Dog OC1s on their way out to the States now, these will be going to the South East. Once they are in position I'll post up on here where they are and how you can demo them.

These demos will be there in time for ALF.

I'll also be in the South East for a couple of weeks boating in March. I'll be bringing a Force OC1. Got a lot of people to see and a lot of stuff to do but I'll be in and around ALF for a couple of days I'm sure.

So hopefully people can get to try some Big Dog boats out this spring.
horizongfx
CBoats Addict

Post by horizongfx »

philcanoe wrote:waiting patiently....

....rather for you to get it right, than just get it.

((although am down to one cracked fly, and paddling the other with two patches... as the skeeters are truly backup only))
Sell me your cracked fly Phil, Or I'll trade you my Maxim fer it :wink:
For me; boating brings me closer to to something divine, and in a open canoe I'm 8 Inches closer.
...........O
......(___|/____)
............/.............
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

that's just a temporary condition... we both know (the same) someone with a plastic welder.