Premaid beluga

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Izak
c

Premaid beluga

Post by Izak »

Im still surfing the net around for option on how to outift my dagger Ego

and I came across the "MC-9" saddle from Beluga (belugaworld.com)

so I was wondering if anyone has used it in a C1 yet and if yes would they recommend it or is it only for OC-1?
I wanna grow up to do nothing but to have fun.
BigMike
C Guru

Post by BigMike »

whats that at the front?

TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

My ex has a C1 star based on a cut down North Water saddle She now admits that she'd have been better off buying the foam and making the saddle herself, as she cut a good 5 inches of foam off the bottom to get it to the right height; It's going to be the same with any OC1 oriented saddle unfortunately.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Izak
c

Post by Izak »

http://belugaworld.com/?p=produits.item&pid=43&l=en

@ bigmike....in the front is a bulkhead
I wanna grow up to do nothing but to have fun.
BigMike
C Guru

Post by BigMike »

The two bits of foam on the front of the saddle? to go against a bulkhead? Why? They're a very odd shape for that, no?
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Mike you've pictured the MC2 - "modified pinto saddle".

The lumps of foam are to help restrain your lateral knee movement when used with thighstraps instead of a bulkhead.

This is an MC9

Bloody awful things they are too.

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
BigMike
C Guru

Post by BigMike »

Oh right. Never used a bulkhead. Never will either.
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

This is exactly what I've been doing with my Remix 69 last year; see here.

http://www.cboats.net/c_db/list.php?typ ... Remix%2069

After fidgeting a lot with it, I would say it can be a good or bad idea.

The saddle is not cheap, but for me it was a no-brainer as opposed to starting from scratch with foam pieces. My original idea was to use no straps as well, which proved almost impossible and unsafe. Kayak cockpits are too small so foot entrapment is a problem with pegs.

You also need a big boat to make this work; the saddle is very bulky (made for OCs) The Remix 69 was just OK, 79 would have been much better.

You will need to cut down on the saddle height anyways (is about 10 inches from the factory) but if you cut a lot from the top it will also modify the angle of your legs in the bulkhead and you won't fit as good anymore.

Should you decide to go that route I would suggest to rip off the pegs right away, mesure the height of your cockpit's front, choose the saddle height you want to go for (6 inches would be a good general start) and cut the saddle from the BOTTOM using these two mesurements. I did that too, but not enough since I first wanted to keep the pegs. Then remove the bottom rail from your boat and use it to mark your cutting line so the saddle fits nice (my remix, for instance, is not completely flat bottom...)

I still see it as a good option (just love these saddles myself) for bigger boats like the remix 79 or even the new Remix XP we were speaking of in another earlier thread...

Good luck!
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

which also looks similar to what Bob (horizongfx) has done...

...from one of his, posted a week or so ago.
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

just make it yourself. Try a saddle with straps then add a dashboard/bulkhead for that extra snug fit.
funkidreadz
C Guru

Post by funkidreadz »

Josh?
No, no and more no. Bulkheads rock, this one especially, I have a Beluga M9 in 5 of my boats, because of it i go paddling more and spend less rime covered in contact cement and foam shavings!
BTW why do you think think they are awful?
James[/img]
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I think they're awful because I can't adjust the bulkhead to fit comfortably* whilst still being tight; I massively prefer the Sauvage/Pyranha/Robson style bulkheads to the Beluga ones.

*In fact as it comes from the factory, I can't even get my arse fully onto the saddle, it needs significant trimming which means doing it to the back block and moving the whole saddle forwards or trying to get a neatly curved cut using my breadknife

markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

anybody know how to order Beluga products in the States?
BigMike
C Guru

Post by BigMike »

funkidreadz wrote:Josh?
No, no and more no. Bulkheads rock, this one especially, I have a Beluga M9 in 5 of my boats, because of it i go paddling more and spend less rime covered in contact cement and foam shavings!
BTW why do you think think they are awful?
James[/img]
Because I feel more secure with straps and can tighten them as I wish. I tried bulkheads in the 80's and just didn't like them at all.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

The beluga site shows one USA retailer,

http://belugaworld.com/?p=detaillants.t ... &x=38&y=11

Might be better to contact them and ask
http://belugaworld.com/?p=compagnie.contact
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;