Thank you Big Dog, new C1.

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Kelvin
C Guru

Thank you Big Dog, new C1.

Post by Kelvin »

Hi Folks,

Here is the C1 conversion that Big Dog are offering, my Force should be here next week.

Cheers to the Big Dog guys!

The strap attachment point as adjustable and the carbon/kevlar stringer is bonded to the hull. Mine has the kayak drillings because I was impatient, other C1s will not be drilled.

2010 The Year of the C Boat!

Kelvin.
http://www.sweet-skills.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Re: Thank you Big Dog, new C1.

Post by TNbound »

Kelvin wrote: 2010 The Year of the C Boat!
Good year to be a cboater indeed! 8)
Another awesome looking boat from Big Dog... Do we have any of these in the states yet?
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
golder
CBoats Addict

Post by golder »

the outfitting looks pretty sweet, as does the hull.

can't wait to hear the reviews once you get these boats on the water.

really hoping some of those boats make it across the pond....
ain't nothin but water, rocks, and gravity
BigMike
C Guru

Post by BigMike »

How's the stringer bonded to the plastic? outfitting looks good.
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

won't carbon fiber be so stiff that hull tends to crack around the edge?
Kelvin
C Guru

Post by Kelvin »

Mike, oopsiflipped,
Not sure exactly how the stringer is bonded, one of the Big Dog guys has had a Havoc converted for a good while and the hull/stringer combination is proving to be bomber. I paddled the Kaos for the first time yesterday, felt quick on a wave and performed well in a hole. I'll save a full review until I get it on some chunkier features.
Kelvin.
http://www.sweet-skills.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
orton1966

Stringer fixed with PU

Post by orton1966 »

Hi,

The stringer is attached to the hull using a PU Adhesive because the plate is thin at the edges it flexes with the hull, whilst the ridge down the centre give rigidity to the strap fixings.

I've used this system on my boats for over 10 years and never had one come out and never noticed any damage to the hull around the edges of the stringer.

The advantages are simple: it reduces hull flex, all-but eliminates oil-canning from strap tension, doesn't move around sideways and gives a composite surface that makes adhering the saddle and other foams easy.

I do regard it as semi permanent because with care you can remove it and the adhesive. Generally if I do need to refit kayak outfitting, when selling a boat I just leave it in and fit the boats original seat but emit the usual hull stiffener.

I hope this explains how the system works and some of the benefits it offers

Cheers for now

Peter
BigMike
C Guru

Post by BigMike »

Cheers Pete

i asked on the other thread but may as well mention it here - whats the timetable for retail for the creek boat?
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Re: Stringer fixed with PU

Post by marclamenace »

orton1966 wrote:The stringer is attached to the hull using a PU Adhesive because the plate is thin at the edges it flexes with the hull, whilst the ridge down the centre give rigidity to the strap fixings.

I've used this system on my boats for over 10 years and never had one come out and never noticed any damage to the hull around the edges of the stringer.

The advantages are simple: it reduces hull flex, all-but eliminates oil-canning from strap tension, doesn't move around sideways and gives a composite surface that makes adhering the saddle and other foams easy.

I do regard it as semi permanent because with care you can remove it and the adhesive. Generally if I do need to refit kayak outfitting, when selling a boat I just leave it in and fit the boats original seat but emit the usual hull stiffener.
I thought it looked neat. But now I say: brilliant.
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
Izak
c

Post by Izak »

do they have a website?

do they sell such a boat?

or they outfit it for you?

thx!
I wanna grow up to do nothing but to have fun.
wetnobby

Post by wetnobby »

Yes they do have a web site...

http://www.bigdogkayaks.com/

Yes they sell boats outfitted as in the pictures at the top of the post. :D

Chris

Every year is a good year to be a C boater!
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

I've used this system on my boats for over 10 years
WOW, and why have the rest of us CBoaters not been using this brilliant system!?!?
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Paddle Power wrote:
I've used this system on my boats for over 10 years
WOW, and why have the rest of us CBoaters not been using this brilliant system!?!?
Well, a lot uses similar stuff... But is the first time I see myself reinforced with metal tube that has adjustable multiple points...

Another fellow C1ier I saw on a river this past spring had a similar kevlar bottom railing he made out of three parallel V-shaped bars, and also had two more bars that were connecting the right and left top cockpit sides to the bottom rails, on which he had the thight foams. The results was very stiff and light. Wish I had taken pictures...

Most C1iers are building their own outfits, big dog system is mostly unique in the fact that it is made by a cie ready to order right into the boat of your choice. To my knowledge very few kayak cies, if any, have anything quite like this: C1 outfit that seems to make sense. Most don't offer anything, some (ie Robson) offers something that sux.
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
BigMike
C Guru

Post by BigMike »

It's a really elegant solution I think. Though if I have one I may just epoxy in angled strap anchors with CK patches on top right onto the carbon kevlar rather than use the straight grab handle for an anchor.
orton1966

Fixing Bar

Post by orton1966 »

If you don’t like the bar you can easily attach ‘D’ rings or similar on short tails of webbing and bolt these (with a large washer or plate) to any of the 6mm fixings in the bottom plate. My recommendation is to spread the load over two fixing but saying that braking one out would still take serious loadings.