Snow Canoeing! -- Adult sleds for adult kids. (video)

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

avlclimber
C Guru

Snow Canoeing! -- Adult sleds for adult kids. (video)

Post by avlclimber »

Well, lightning has struck twice, and the south got dumped on again (a foot of snow is a pretty big event down here, even in the mountains) So without thinking twice, we hitched up the canoes again, and went for two days of class II-IV downhill snow canoeing!

After our practice round last month, we really pushed it this time, with bigger drops and longer runs. For me, I was amazed at how well my whitewater strokes were translating to the snow. It's well worth watching.

Round two of voiding my manufacturer's warranty on the snowy slopes of West Asheville:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFjoKQwURJA

Video from December's runs can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm9_S_UWouY

--Z
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

Looks like you've discovered the fun that helps keep me from going crazy through the winters up here in Maine!

We ramped our buttboats off some snowbanks in our college parking lot... Awesome fun until someone slid into a (parked) car... :o
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

At least you were dropping a knee or two :wink:

Years ago, after ski season was over but there was still a bit of snow after some spring WW runs a group of us headed up a large local mountain which shall go unnamed and took a run down their trails in our boats. Much fun and hilarity ensued... once you get a long boat REALLY spinning, it can be difficult to stop....
Keep the C!
Adam
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

Wow..the Viper looks like the perfect canoe for that. :)
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Looks like fun - lots of speed! I imagine an offside roll wouldn't be much fun though! :D
mtnfir
c

Post by mtnfir »

Nice.
I'll have to bring my boat to montford park and take a spin too. I used to live in teh purple house right across from the parking lot on pearson. I bet it's a bitch hauling it back up the hill. Steep as hades.
Carl
beereddy
C Guru

Post by beereddy »

Very dangerous paddle position:(((
Last edited by beereddy on Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

SNOW the "S" word that shall remain unspoken!!!!!!!
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
mattm
C Guru

Post by mattm »

You folks are JAMMIN' :D Awesome long hill put to good use. Yeah, Viper looks born for that stuff. How'd the doggies sleep :wink:
so glad for Krylon, ABS and acetone.Squirt, sail, paddle and pole.
avlclimber
C Guru

Post by avlclimber »

Re: beereddy

OK, I'll bite; what's the dangerous paddle position? The draw while headed down river/slope/whatever @ speed?

I never get to see myself paddle, and was pretty satisfied with the form and style. Enlighten us.

--Z
Big Dave
c

Post by Big Dave »

I took that as great inspiration.......... Got the Veritge out at one of the parks in Salem, VA this week end........ It was the first time I was able to get my brother-in-law in a boat. My two nephews (ages 5 and 7 were brought up from South Carolina ) said thier favorite part of the whole sledding adventure was watching me and their dad getting "tossed off the canoe". :P
beereddy
C Guru

Post by beereddy »

to avlclimber
I mean cross bow stroke.
If the paddle will hit the ground you can get serious injuries
Even in river its tricky, say nothing about snow
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

And here I thought it was in reference to the ladies choice in paddles! :wink: Looks like everyone was having a blast including the pup! Nice! 8)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!