g-flex + twintex?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

g-flex + twintex?

Post by sbroam »

I couldn't find if we covered this before, but has anyone tried g-flex on twintex? I'd really prefer thighstraps in my Zephyr. The original ones blew out pretty quickly and I replaced them with a bulkhead. I've ended up loaning that boat several times and anticipate putting my kids in it - the bulkhead just doesn't adjust well to varying sizes of paddlers...

Anybody tried g-flex for a high stress application like that on twintex? From what I've seen it looks like it will stick to almost anything...
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

Tried it. Won't work. Looks like it'll work, acts like it is working for a short time. And then fails.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Well crud. I may go with my original plan of the J-Not-Elvis PE plate like he did in his Prelude. Thanks for the info!
Marc Evans
C Guru

Post by Marc Evans »

Scott, I know this might not be the answer that you are looking for, but have you considered forming some minicel wedges which can be held to the top of your bulkhead with velcro. I did this in my Fink so that I could change the fit when I went from winter boating in a drysuit to summer in swim trunks. Realize that I also have straps in the boat. Here are a couple of photos:

Marc

Alan S
C Boater

Post by Alan S »

Marine Goop will stick to twin tex. I've re-glued the thigh straps in my Zephyr multiple times -- first with the same glue that Esprit uses, which is difficult and expensive to get and requires a special applicator, then with Goop. The Goop is still holding, the other didn't.

It needs to cure in a warm environment at least a couple days before use. The only problem I had was using it before it had gained maximum strength. It costs less than $10 at Ace Hardware. It's easier to remove than other glue if you need to -- you can peel it off.

I'm told it works quite well on Royalex as well.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I'm a big fan of Goop but never trusted it for thigh strap d-rings. I used it for some d-rings in a boat for floatation, but it was a boat that only occasionally gets used with bags. Did you apply it as a glue or as a contact cement? i.e. apply to both sides, allow to dry, then stick together?
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I'd still like to see some more G-flex trials on Twintex. Of course, D-ring patches are amongst the most challenging applications. I tend to agree with the previous post showing a way to mount strap connections that don't depend on gluing them to the hull.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

matrix

Post by PAC »

Maybe we need to build a matrix of what works with what...
X scale - rolex, twin-tex, PE, etc.
y scale - duct tape, resins (by type), G-flex, etc.
Thoughts???
Sort of a one stop spot to get feed back on "fix'n"!
Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

That would be good - I'd love to see some real numbers on it, too. Like actual strength of bond in PSI...
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Hummmm... adding psi tensial and fracture numbers would add to the complexity.... and to be frank... beyond my pay grade! LOL

We'd need some real tech types to research those numbers and get the comparisons between bounds.

So do we want a scatter graph, bar graph, etc.?

What materials to start with? I'm assuming PE (types), epoxy (types), rolex (are there types or just vintages?).

As for bounding - questions: Types of Duct Tape (I believe this a "grade" for different types), West System (105, G-flex, etc.), 5 minute epoxy, etc.

Anyone want to step up and give this a go???? I can do some of the work but the calendar is full and it will be a while. Maybe a school project? :wink: 8)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Alan S
C Boater

Post by Alan S »

Scott,

I used it like a contact cement, sort of -- put glue on both the hull and the D-ring and let it dry partially but not completely. I used more glue than I would with Weldwood cement. Then I rolled out the excess with a socket from a socket wrench.

It took a couple of tries but the thigh straps held last year through about 40 river days. I crank the straps down tight and put plenty of stress on them with rolls, etc.

Some open boaters from Idaho told me about Goop. They used it for everything. Anyway, it works better than the glue that Equif uses, which gets brittle after a year or less.
Alan S
C Boater

Post by Alan S »

As for types of Duct tape, if you haven't tried Gorilla Tape, you should. With a little heat from a hair dryer, it makes a permanent repair for a torn air bag and it will hold down ankle blocks, etc. fine. I patched several holes on my bucket boat raft after a very scratchy low water day on the Middle Fork of the Flathead. The tape was just an attempt to get us through the trip but it's still there -- three years later.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I can't find Marine Goop any more, but plumbers goop works as well, as far as I can tell. I've got some that is just now turning brittle and yellow that I put on a worn spot on a flat water canoe. It's been there 10 years plus. Goop rocks. I'll give it a shot on the d-rings. I really do prefer straps in a bigger boat like a Zephyr...
Alan S
C Boater

Post by Alan S »

From what I've read, the only difference is that marine Goop has an additive to protect against UV. If that matters, it's easy to find on the Web.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Update : I can't remember exactly when I did it, though it was likely within a couple of weeks of my last post in this thread, but I glued in the d-rings with Goop and they're still working. I did what Alan described, more or less, and put sandbags on them as they dried (set?). The boat has been receiving occasional use, including a trip to OC Nats, a number of rolls, and now regular use paddling a flat water creek (with light usage of the straps). Nos sign of failure when I tug on them. So far, so good.