Where is the WW in NY?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

joshH
c

Where is the WW in NY?

Post by joshH »

Long time lurker here hiding in the shadows of SBroam down in SC. So I am finishing up school and have nearly finished interviewing for residency slots which have nearly all fallen in the NE many in NY state. AWA's site has tons of creeking runs listed but as I have interviewed at Albany, Syracuse, Rochester, and Buffalo I have stopped in and talked to the local outdoor store and haven't seen a k1,OC1, or even an E. Tenn innertube. The folks I talk to always look away, squint their eye as if trying to recall knowing someone who might have boated some stuff. So what gives? Is there much of a boating community up there? Underground or buried in the snow. Is it all like "yeah but you got to drive 4hrs to get to stuff."?

joshH
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

Check out www.npmb.com
MrTgrips
CBoats Addict

Post by MrTgrips »

Louie

Post by Louie »

Moose, Indepdance and Otter is all I know about and reconomend them all.
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

look for alden's book. it cover NY, NE and lots of eastern canada.

http://neguidebook.com/
sdbrassfield
Supporting Paddler

Post by sdbrassfield »

I have done a good bit of boating on the Black River. It has any type of water and all you would want of it between the Carthage area thru/below Watertown. It can get low in places in the summer. I agree, Aldens book is a good reference.

My daughter has just moved away from the area so I doubt I will see it if ever again but it was fun while it lasted. I had a spare boat up there for two seasons and paddled for entertainament when visiting.
SYOTR
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

Living in Albany puts you in striking distance of the Adirondacks and the Catskills.
Adam can tell you more about NY.

JKaz
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

LOTS of WW to be had from those locations. Here are the highlights, feel free to PM me for more info (or ask here).

Rochester - park and play at Lock 32

http://www.geneseewaterways.org/kayakin ... hedule.htm

And not far from Buffalo and places SW of their (PACE and Crash can tell you more than I)

Syracuse - lots of good runs within an hour or two, and not that far from the Black (runs all summer) or Hudson (likewise with releases Tues Thurs Sat Sun). Plenty of creeking in the SW Adirondacks, likewise in the catskills nearby. Nothing as easy access as in Rochester that I know of, though

Albany - what I know the most about (ish) as I'm an hour north, and grew up 2 hours north. Cohoes wave (when in) for park and surf, plenty of runs to the east (Deerfield, etc..) south (creeking in catskills), and north (Hudson is 1.5 hours north for the Gorge, also Schroon, Sacanadaga, Metawee, the list goes on if you get in to the creeks and such....

Defiinitely check out the Northeast Paddlers Messaage board ( http://www.npmb.com ) as previously mentioned - a lot of the C crowd here you'll find over there as well.

If you wind up in this neck of the woods be sure to let me know!
Keep the C!
Adam
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

theres also KCCNY.com mostly nyc people but they post release dates on their website.
Proud Yankee
joshH
c

thanks for the info

Post by joshH »

I will order a copy of the Alden book and be in touch with you Adam. I am trying to get down to the bottom of my rank list and albany has this great program that would actually allow enough time to boat. Of course Albany has to compete with WVU which has boaters on faculty!

Again thanks for the info.

joshH
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Watch out paddling with Adam... or you might just find yourself on a play wave after sun down surf'n your brains out! Boy does that sux... NOT!!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

If you're living near Albany the Deerfield is not too far away. It releases all summer and it's the same difficulty as the Ocoee but more fun in my opinion.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Here's a link to some online run descriptions for NY.
http://www.eddyflower.com/CountryDetail.aspx?StateId=12
Crash
C Boater

Buffalo

Post by Crash »

If you end up neer buffalo the catt is only 30 or so miles south other creek runs not far away l'll hook you up email crash80inch or call mark at(716)592-3093. mid march starts boatin ice out?
C-Ya+Ride Safe
Crash