Kind of a noob type question..but...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Kind of a noob type question..but...

Post by jscottl67 »

I've been paddling for a few years now originally a lot of flatwater / river tripping and then moving into whitewater. Due to several factors, I've not been paddling much in the past year or so - more flat water than anything. I hate to say it but I'm on the water less than 10 days a year..way less it seems. I see that (esp. on whitewater) being the pattern for another year or so.

Sooooo, what kind of ww boat (probably OC1 but I do have a 5 yo daughter who has done flat water a bit so maybe OC2) should I be looking at to allow me to go paddling when I can. Mainly class II/III and maybe a bit beyond without really having the time to invest in paddling that I should. I want it to be a little challenging, but don't want to get spanked when I do find the time to get out.

I really want to paddle more, just hard finding the time right now. My favorite boat to date has been a cut and pinched Ocoee, but it was pretty wet and super edgy. I'm 6'3" and 215 so I know that will be a factor.

Thanks!
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Well, I'm sure this won't be a popular suggestion, but if you consider a Closed Cockpit Canoe, you'll find you progress a lot faster on whitewater...
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

A Caption might be a good option with a triple saddle to allow for oc1/oc2. I also saw recently posted (by Kanur?) a used ME in good shape that might work for you as well.
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

a probe 14 tandem for you and the kid
or viper 11 for you, and a Maxim for your kid
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

A C-1 would be good for play. It’s not the number of days that improve your ability, but how frequently you get out. If you could spend an hour a few days a week, you’d increase your skills the fastest.

I recall the Haw having a short rapid stretch close to Raleigh that would be good for practice.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

When you haven't paddled in a while, especially whitewater, and you hop back in the boat, how quickly are you back up to speed? Are you one of those folks (like I am some times) that need time to get caught back up? Or do you pick back up about where you were right away? [Like the folks I know that paddle once a year and it's the Gauley...]

If you are more the latter, stick with something like that Ocoee - maybe not a cut and pinched one (then again, why not?). I wouldn't go getting a "conservative" boat that you'll hate for being a pig when you *do* get out.

If the former then get a more forgiving boat that will let you enjoy your time on the river without spanking you, maybe a softer chined larger boat? Though not fitting that description, I'm finding my Spanish Fly to be easy to hop back into, certainly easier than some of my smaller edgier C-1s...

Regardless, get a different boat, if you can, to take your little one with you. I've got a tandem boat for that purpose (an ME) that I *can* paddle solo in but when I do it really isn't as much fun as any of my solo boats.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

You need two boats. A stock Ocoee or Viper 11 for you and a cheap older tandem for you and your daughter.
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

One more vote for the ME. There was one out for sale still in good shape on this board recently. A perfect solo downriver expedition canoe, and you can fit a saddle in front of you for the little one. Old, good and cheap boat leaves budjet for a second one if you feel like more of a playboat for yourself later...
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

sbroam wrote:When you haven't paddled in a while, especially whitewater, and you hop back in the boat, how quickly are you back up to speed? Are you one of those folks (like I am some times) that need time to get caught back up? Or do you pick back up about where you were right away? [Like the folks I know that paddle once a year and it's the Gauley...]
I'm generally ok for a down river run (like the Nanty or Haw), but I'm tentative and very conservative - takes a few hours on the river to even think about playing really (unless I'm at a park and play type spot). So, even though I can get down the river I can't say that I'm loving every minute of the trip.

I'll think about it, but if I can get my daughter into it, that opens up more time on the water more than anything else. Leaning OC-2 that I can get her into that I can take solo if need be.
Louie

Post by Louie »

I have a Encore set up for an adult and a small child that works great. If you wanted to use it on say the Hiawassee for you and your daughter I would be happy to loan it to you.
Tim T
C Boater

Post by Tim T »

I recently bought a Mad River Legend 15. I love it ! Have taken it tandem down the Hiwassee and solo on the Nantahala and the Locust Fork in Al. Not near as much fun as my Probe 12, but it is a lot more stable and dry. Richard from Mohawk helped me with some outfitting, thigh straps and knee pads for solo and then just knee pads for tandem. I have thought about taking it on one of these colder days, less likelyhood of a swim.
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

cadster wrote:I recall the Haw having a short rapid stretch close to Raleigh that would be good for practice.
Yes, about 1 1/2 hours from work to the Haw, so it's one of my closest options for WW. Unless you're in the longer days of summer (assuming there's water), it's still pretty tough to pull off during the week.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Jeff, Don't you still have a Cascade? Just get you a barge for tandem with the Nina.
Jim
C Guru

Prowler!!!

Post by Jim »

I have a Millbrook Prowler and it is GREAT for running tandem with my kids and for solo paddling. I also have a plastic Howler for the same, but when the combined weight gets around 350 pounds it feels twitchy. The Prowler carries that weight fine, so it allows for your kids growth. GREAT boat for whitewater- solo and tandem!
Jim
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

I had the Cascade until a few days ago. I loved some aspects of it but I never fell in love with it. It was super stable and forgiving but after a bad experience early on with it, I never got the whole needing to work harder to get out of it out of my head.

I have a 17'barge that's in FL right now that I do flatwater on at times (tracks great but hates to turn). Something a little funner on some of the local runs for my baby girl would be great and would get me out some of the weekends she is with me (in fair weather). That's probably myy best bet to up the days on the water.