Utah OC-1ers?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Utah OC-1ers?

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Howdy all,
I'm currently a kayaker looking to return to an OC-1. Yeah, I started out in a Outrage in 95 then switched to being lazy and sitting on my butt... must have hit my head or something. I got some sense back and have the itch to chop my current paddle in half. So, any OC-1ers hiding out in Utah? Looking for a boat and gear, looks like Canoe Colorado is the closest stocking dealer to SLC, right?
Jeff
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

A few months back there were a couple of OC1's for sale in Moab; one a nearly new Zoom and the other a Rodeo.

I'm in southern CO and have a well used Ocoee that I'd sell for cheap.

Eric of Canoe Colorado posts here:
http://www.cboats.net/cforum/profile.ph ... ile&u=1272

Don't know of any UT WW canoers, but several in CO and NM. Plus a few in ID.

I also haven't bought a new boat in years.
Louie

Post by Louie »

biggreenjefe is a hellva a canoer and he is from Tejas is that close to Utah?
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Thanks for the responses, I wish I would have seen that Zoom. Looks like a nice boat. There is a Dagger Impulse for sale in southern Utah, but I'm really not liking what I'm reading about it. I'm converting my kingpin and Rocker into C1 this week. That should feed the fever until I get a open boat. Ref the Ocoee, if you would, email the details. Ducatismurf @ hotmail
Louie

Post by Louie »

If you are back this way between the GDI member we can let you try anything from the Ocoee goin forward.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Thanks for the invite to paddle with the GDI, I'm looking at the calender to see if I can swing making it to that gathering of fainting goats in March. I'm hoping to have the rust knocked off way before then. I converted my kingpin from K1 to C1 yesterday and spent a couple hours in the pool trying to roll the thing. Hopefully I'll have a OC1 within a week or so... considering Cadster's Ocoee and a local (5hrs away) Rodeo.
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

Hi Smurfwarrior,

There are a bunch of C-boaters in Colorado, if you want drive and join us.

Al
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Thanks for the invite Al, Count on it!
Eric Nyre
C Guru

Post by Eric Nyre »

Esquif lists Idaho River Sports in Boise as a dealer. No clue if they actually have anything in stock though.

I have a pretty good selection, but we're an 8 hour drive from SLC.

My understanding is there aren't any shops actually stocking OC-1 in your area. I've Forward Air'ed a few boats in the SLC/ Ogden corridor and that's the feedback I got from those customers. Depending on what permits I pull this summer I may be close, not sure if I'll go to OR Summer Market in early August.

As with everything, if you can find a used boat close by, that's always cheaper than a new boat shipped in.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Thanks for the info Erik, looks like I'll be picking up at least one used boat here shortly. I'll have to stop by your place next season when I'm over that way. By that time I'm sure I'll be looking for a new boat.
Jeff
kanur
C Guru

Post by kanur »

Hey Smurf,

Since I am in Missouri I can't help at all in finding you a boat. But I would like to know what you paddle in Utah? I ride dirt bikes in Utah and look at the creeks and wonder what they would be like with water.

I'll be there in the fall or Colorado in the summer if that will help getting a boat to you.
Dennis

"Just Cause I Don't Run My Mouth Don't Mean I Got Nothing To Say" Mike Cooley DBT
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Utah is the second dryest state in the country and we still have some pretty good whitewater. This year was a good one as most everything ran until August, then pittered out around Oct. We mostly use this online run databank out here...

http://www.eddyflower.com/CountryDetail.aspx?StateId=2

My goal for next year is to run this in a OC1-
http://www.eddyflower.com/RunDetail.aspx?RunId=339
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Here's a vid of us doing it in kayaks..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8ciM1OuQDA
kanur
C Guru

Post by kanur »

Thanks for the links, it looks like you have a lot of good runs.

Be sure to get video when you fire up that run in your OC
Dennis

"Just Cause I Don't Run My Mouth Don't Mean I Got Nothing To Say" Mike Cooley DBT
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Well I'm getting an Ocoee from Bruce in CO next week, I'm excited to get it wet. I'm going to save up a bit, sell some kayaks, and buy a Zoom too. That way I'll have two boats and will allow me to entice some kayak buddies to try OC1, and Dennis if you make it out this way (sans boat) you can borrow one and I'll give you a tour of what we've got.