how low can you go?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

how low (or high) is your seat?

foam? i don't need no stinking foam
6%
2" or under
No votes
3"
9%
4"
9%
5" to 6"
41%
7" to 8"
21%
9" 10"
9%
Not sure
3%
Depends on the boat
3%

Total votes: 34

oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

how low can you go?

Post by oopsiflipped »

so i've got my seat down to 3" and it is awesome! well, i like how much lower the center of gravity is. and the people i boat with enjoy laughing at me when i get out of my boat. it isn't exactly comfy. but neither was my almost 7" seat when i started. the 4 1/2 in the remix was just fine, so i'm assuming i'll get used to the 3" seat. just wondering what others have for seat height. mostly in c1's, but you open boaters feel free to chime in about how comfy your 9" seats are, too.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

.....believe the scale is a little too low?

((or is this just a c1 post))

I've been thinking about canoe saddle hright for a C1... just wondering about the skirt staying on?
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

i meant to put an over 6" on there, but i can't seem to figure out how to edit the pole...admin?
horizongfx
CBoats Addict

Post by horizongfx »

3" dam, you go any lower and you'll be paddlin a Kayak.
For me; boating brings me closer to to something divine, and in a open canoe I'm 8 Inches closer.
...........O
......(___|/____)
............/.............
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Admin'ed! Let us know if any other changes are needed!

I'm in the 8 to 9" range for most boats. The exception are the glass racers and Cquirts which over at the 4 to 5" range. Knee spread is the key IMHO! I think TGG's Ceamweaver is in the 2-3" range (?? Martin) and very comfortable!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

I am about down to 6" now in my remix, about 9-10" in my good ol' ME so yeah, you bet it depends on boats... :roll:

I agree knee spead, ankle blocks and tiny changes here and there can do great difference in comfort (and stability) sometimes, but a low saddle is never really comfy anyways.

Last time I heard Gonzo speaking about its low ceamweaver saddle it was not all about comfort, exactly... :o
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

Post by Longboatin »

I opted to start from scratch in the Acrobat I got from Gonzo. Im running no saddle, just sittin on my feet for now.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Got down to 5.75 in my Zealot before I gronked a knee. Am running 8" to 9" in my open boats.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

depends on boat. The wider the knee spread and the saddle, the lower it can be.
The Ceemweaver is about 3.5" and I am contemplating lowering the saddle another 1/2" to see if it improves control. In most other boats the saddle height is more determined by other factors like the likelyness of hitting the gunnels or the cockpit rim with my elbows, particularly in my open boats. there my saddles are ~8" tall, anything lower seems to compromise my reach and just feels too low.

Longboating, I cannot imagine being in the Acrobat without a saddle :o !

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

Post by Longboatin »

Gonz
Yeah, it kills the ankles, but knee spread is the issue 4 now. I can be nice and down inside the cockpit, legs against the deck/coaming, and w/ ankle blocks relieves some o the ankle pain. Outfitting takes me some time, it a work in progress.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

My two C1's are at 6" whilst this was wildly unstable to get used to, I find I need that height to get my feet comfy, and the extra levarage doesn't harm either.

The CU fly saddle is little shy of 1' again a might unstable, but without all that leaverage, It's a bitch to move about when full.

The Prelude is sitting at about 9", but could do with some more height, I can't use the footpegs without putting my butt on my heels and causing horrendous foot pain.

and the Meltdown, it's sitting at about 4" I might take that down to 4" at the front and 3.5" at the rear; but either way it needs a bigger back block and straps further back.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

I responded 4", as my decked boat seats tend to be somewhere between 4-4.5". My open boat seat is definitely a good deal higher, but I haven't measured it to give you a precise number.

Your decision to go with a 3" seat is certainly consistent with the direction a number of the top C-1 slalom paddlers in the U.S. seem to trending in. I understand that several are using 2-2.5" seats. The seat in the used Galasport Loco that I bought from Issac Schmidt this summer was about 2.5" high. (I had to raise it another 1.5" and am toying with making it higher still.)

John
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

I think somewhere areound 6" in my Cascade, though I haven't put a tape measure to it.

I would think the shape/geometry of the hull would make a huge difference on how low you could go???
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

John Coroar---- Many of the c-1 competitors have been kneeling low from childhood. Their bone growth and joint shape probably accomodated to it. Adam Clawson was in c-1 by age 9, if not earlier. When I bought my Zealot from him, it had a board kneeling thwart probably 4.5 inches off the bottom. He's a pretty big guy.

Longboatin' in Pittsburgh--- On knee spread, careful not to overdo it. Too much spread can increase discomfort in ankles and knees.
TomAnon
C Guru

Post by TomAnon »

5.5" in my Loco. I will be dropping this down at least one inch as my ankles have finally relaxed and I can sit in my boat for at least an hour now without needing a quick break (it also helps that I lost a lot of weight as well, enough that I think it is new boat time!!). So I think 4-4.5" will be about the new height. The gain in stability will more than make up for the loss of leverage.

With regards to foot/ankle pain it also helps that I lost a lot of weight as well, enough that I think it is new boat time, 64!! Take 30 lbs off your ankles and they feel much better.

Going lower on a Remix would be advisable as well. That boat is so stable and comfortable with a low center of gravity. Love it.