When you get a new boat What do you tell your Wife or SO

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Don't tell add it to the stable and hope she does not notice
15%
Tell Before bring it home
18%
Tell after brought it home Oh I got such a good deal
31%
You and your wife plan and pick out the boat
18%
Put in the stable when she catches you OH I have had that a long time
18%
Tell her it is a boat you sold
No votes

Total votes: 39

jroneil
C Guru

Post by jroneil »

Now what does everyone tell their wife or SO
This should be fun and we probably do not want the wives to see
bobthepainter
Pain Boater

Post by bobthepainter »

as long as it's red , or purple she 's clueless.... i bought, and sold 4 different ones so far all is good :D
insolence
CBoats Addict

Post by insolence »

hm, nice question

I have another one: what will I tell my parents??? :o

ehm, I mean it's clear to any boater that a new boat, especially for racing, is a good thing - but how explain a non-boater that it's essentially and you really need that dam thing ?
it's gettin hot
I MAKE THE WATER BURN
purple orange flames
blaze where I put my paddle
jroneil
C Guru

Post by jroneil »

I could have put all of the above but I felt that would be a runaway :D
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

"But honey... with the SpanishFly turned upside down it can double as a coffee table..."

"It sure does have a purpose... you can store all your G@dam'ed shoes in that one when I'm not using it!!!"

:lol:

They either "git it" or they don't. :wink:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Deb R
C Boater

Re: When you get a new boat What do you tell your Wife or

Post by Deb R »

jroneil wrote:Now what does everyone tell their wife or SO
This should be fun and we probably do not want the wives to see
I think it's really nice that you all want to surprise your wives and SOs with a new boat for Christmas! I'd suggest a Zoom or an Ocoee...

Deb
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Those are good choices, but none of them reflect my technique. I just get moody, stomp around the house for days, mumbling and complaining about everything and try to eventually wear her down to the point that she WANTS me to get another boat...

...just to shut me up. :D

And if that doesn't work, crying and begging are also effective. :wink:

KNeal
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

I just hint around at the boat that I want. Tell her where the boat money is stashed and she drives to NC with the diffrence to suprise me for xmas.

Thats how I got my Nitro.

She said she wasnt gonna do it this year. I told her thats fine the new plastic boats wount be available till prob around spring
Proud Yankee
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Great question

Post by 2opnboat1 »

with everything going on in my life It is a great question. Love some of the replies. THe old lady has already started asking if I really need all of the boats that I have. (she would like to park close to the front door and use the office which is Maxim storage. I will be moving them all to the canoe shop. And the goal is to make her understand I dont own any boat that i use. and haven't for 10 years
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
golder
CBoats Addict

Post by golder »

i try to get the ok up front, to keep the peace.

"honey, you'll really love the spanish fly. its a good sized boat for you. really, you can use it whenever you want. no, i wont want to buy another boat for a long time. yes, i'll sell one of the kayaks to help pay for it..."

in all fairness, i did sell one of the kayaks. but i do have my eye on some other boats. shhhh...

keeping the peace can be costly though. right now she's out spending god knows how much on a hair cut.....

really though, i can't thank ya'll enough for putting in those double digit boat count votes. gives me a bit more leverage...
ain't nothin but water, rocks, and gravity
andya
c

Post by andya »

oh good topic ... the latest one I've resorted to not telling her. It is solid red again so SWMBO has not twigged the difference between a Acrobat C1 and a Wheelboy ... :oops:

I keep them in different sheds and hope she doesn't ever count ....

And if she ever looks under the hedge ... I'm dead .... :evil:

==========================================

my other strategy is buying CHEAP, unpopular boats (like C1's!). I've bought 5 boats this year and spent under £590, so even if I do get caught I can play the "bargain" get out of jail free card ....
jroneil
C Guru

Post by jroneil »

The guy I get boats from I can put them on layaway my wife keeps asking me you didn't get another boat every time I go their I say not this year :)
Last 2 boat
Its the money I use to spend at McDonalds she want me to loose weight so the money I spent each week I put on a boat : She did not notice the boat for 2-3 weeks :D

Then the next boat I bought her/my daughter a dagger approach.
Her knees are bad an she is having a hard time kneeling so if it gets her on the water with me it is good!
I am too big for it it was for her!

The guy I go to I will ask about a boat just to find out about it and he quotes me a price 20-30% off list if it is older stock even higher sometimes 50% off Then I give him 40- 50 buck an go see him every week or every other week and give him 40-50 buck some time I do not even give him a deposit and he just order it for me and next time I see him I give him the money
I buy a lot of stuff off him and I have a good repertoire with him
mattm
C Guru

Post by mattm »

all of the above. Got a few for free so I had a good defense. Sometimes Aaron and I went out with one on the rack and came back with 2 :wink:
Had a few behind the pines for awhile, 'till momma got in a better mood.
Technically, there's not 11 boats, there's 2!! The RED ONE, and the GREEN ONE :P The free ones are different colors except we paid for the blue one but it's so small you can't even see it.
so glad for Krylon, ABS and acetone.Squirt, sail, paddle and pole.
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

i'm lucky. i traded her salto for the hercules i just converted. and brought her home a diesel to make up for the salto. i'd spent forever trying to build some kayak outfitting in the salto and was working on using cutting boards to make some thigh hooks when i found the other boats on BT. one short drive to NARR via blacksburg later, we both had new boats.
Louie

Post by Louie »

I think one of the first things you should tell them about gettin a new boats is the easiest and safest way for them to load it on your truck.

I would so bad if my wife hurt her back loadin my boat.