How many boats do you have at home?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

How many boat do you have at home?

1-2
13%
3-4
21%
5-6
20%
7-8
10%
9 and more
36%

Total votes: 84

Big Dave
c

Post by Big Dave »

Ok, I figured nobody would let me get away with counting my two jon boats or my two Rangers (150 horse and a 225 horse) even though all of these are definitly boats and absolutely open. I just counted my Vertige.......... I can tell already that I really need many more like this (meaning ww oc boats) I must say that a newbie like me has much to learn............ especially from Louie. Gotta love that kind of boat count. :P 8) :P

Dave
Louie

Post by Louie »

remember I worked at Dagger and was able to get a bunch of boats at like $50.00 each and because I have a warehouse to keep them in a lot of people have given me their old boats/
Big Dave
c

Post by Big Dave »

this newbie is takin' notes, thanx for the insight......
Lengthy
C Guru

Post by Lengthy »

Dale,
You have the sweetest line-up of all these lists in my book. You have any idea where I can score an OCA? In fact, I think it's the only good line-up of boats on the post. Besides Longboatn, of course.
You know what they say about guys with long boats.............. I have a 16 footer!
Louie

Post by Louie »

Don't worry one day you will get to the point where you can get a boat that requires skill to keep up right, that can fit on a real creek, and doesn't clog up the entire eddy, if you can swing it around into an eddy. Then again maybe you won't.

But all kiddy aside it is good to see those retro boats out on the river, like the big barges where a hole is no challenge because you can bridge over the hole. Of course I don't see you makin the two mile hike in to do Raven Fork, findin a horse to carry a OCA up to the Rio de Oro put in, or rollin it in lost paddle on the Gauley. However the old dinasouse are fun to see ever now and again like in a christmas parade where they have the Model T goin 10 mph, but you won't see a model T on the interstate.
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Does the shredder count

Post by Wendy »

Spanish Fly
Ocoee
Whitesell
Hyside paddlecat
IK
Dale Barton
C Boater

Boats

Post by Dale Barton »

O my God, can't believe you used the words "bridge that hole". Way back in 1979 or there abouts, we had a big bunch of folks from Arkansas go east every spring,. Mixture of K1s and OC1(back then it was primarily Blue Hole OCAs) We did a week where we did Daddys Cr., Big South Fork at about 4grand, Watuaga, Doe, Upper and Lower Ocooe on natural flow, Sec4, and Tellico. One of the strongest K1 paddlers dislocated his shoulder on the BSF,, reduced his dislocation at the El, afterwards he claimed that the open boaters had an advantage because we could "bridge the holes". Thats been a favorite qoute here since that time. Dale
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

That's a tricky one...

Post by the great gonzo »

At my place here in Kamloops: 4
Finkenmeister
Prelude
Ceemweaver
Sith

On loan here in Loops:
Blunt (K1 right now, soon to be a C1)

on loan/storage in Revy/BC:
Outrage

On loan in Belleville/ON:
Wheelboy

In storage in Barrie:
Loco
plastic Groove

on loan in with PAC in PA:
Pagan
Prelude
Noah Amerika

So it's either 4 or 12 :lol:

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

1 Dagger Caption OC-1
1 Esquif Vertige-X OC-1
1 Mad River ME OC-1
1 17' Grumman OC-?
1 Dagger Cascade C-1
3 Hahn C-1s
2 Hydra Duets C-2
2 glass high volume C-2s

In Boise, ID:
1 Dagger Caption OC-1

In Flagstaff, AZ:
1 Whitesell Piranha

I thought that I had a lot of boats until I read some of the lists posted. I've been trying to justify to myself buying a Mad River Outrage but after reading all the lists I think that I'm just going to go out and buy one.
oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

wow

Post by oc1paddlr »

we have about 16 or 17, but a cool vintage is a noah jeti yak. known back then as the potato boat , or "spud". also have a 'courier' mad river
paddlr
red boat ready
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

PAC wrote:I too
am pleading the 5th
and totally agree with Louie that it depends on
...how you count
! Personally I try not to count - particularly when the wifey is about! It could get UGLY! :wink:
'Honey, honest, it's not my boat, I am just helping out a buddy here! :lol: '

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

are they still used ?

Post by oc1paddlr »

as my buddy mj says "if the're takin up space, they are still counted"
paddlr
red boat ready
Carol
C Guru

Post by Carol »

3, yes 3 Dagger Dimension's

The beater to use on salt water

the new one for local trips - lighter layup

the new old one for wilderness trips - heavier layup
Al Donaldson
Pain Boater

Iowa Boats (IOWA?)

Post by Al Donaldson »

Carol and all:

I have to confess to two Dagger Dimensions myself, a normal one for paddling tandem and solo and a "cut down" version (13" deep -- looks a lot like a fat pirogue) for solo Iowa flatwater creek paddling.

Oh, yes, also

a 15' cedar stripper (wife's boat)
Prospector 15 (also wife's boat)
Cut down Esquif Pocket Canyon (solo)
Millbrook Souhegan

With that odd list posted, it might be worthwhile to note that Iowa, while a fine paddling state for flatwater, is highly deficient in anything resembling whitewater. So, we make do with what we have: the closest activity that we have to paddling whitewater is trying to navigate extremely tight and obstructed flatwater creeks (we really do cheer loudly when we find a stream with over 10 feet per mile gradient (No kidding!))

Due to the low gradients, we also have very few riffles or rapids that are more than 4 inches deep when they are running and visible: thus we have some need of boats with very shallow draft -- thus the list of long boats. A 13 or 14 foot long tandem (or a solo boat under 12 feet) would spend most of its time in Iowa grounded out or grinding its bottom away.

Plus, it is a great feeling to watch the local bottom-sitters staring in shock at a solo-paddled sixteen-foot canoe making its way untouched through log jams that stopped the kayaks cold.

Regards,

al
Al Donaldson
1920 Belle Avenue
Cedar Falls, IA
(319) 277-3194
Louie

Post by Louie »

bottom sitters, that's good, can I use that?