Blackfly Update

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Blackfly Update

Post by RodeoClown »

I feel like I've been a bit lax in letting people know what's going on with the Blackfly, but I've been putting in a lot of long days trying to get the plug finished and get the logistics of getting a boat in production worked out. I'm making some tweaks to the design to improve a few things I didn't like about the boat (faster and more stable, smaller stern), and generally clean up the plug work and symmetry- which was never very good on the boat. Now that things are coming along, I feel like I should write a little update to get the word out about what's up. My plan is to have a small run of plastic Blackflys rotomolded. I've found a molder who's willing to let me play, and should have a mold ready to go toward the end of next week, hoping to have boats ready to ship in about a month or so. I'm figuring the boats will cost about $1300- I still don't have a firm handle on the costs, but that's my target. I'm planning on doing about 20 boats or so in the first run. I've heard from a lot of people who say they want one, but I know that doesn't necessarily translate into people who will actually buy one. Since I'm not planning on doing very many boats, I'd recommend that if you want to buy one, you get your name on the list- send me an e-mail: Jeremy@ChasingRain.com Obivously, if more than 20 people say they want one, I'll make more boats. Whether or not there's a second run or other boat designs in the future will depend on the response to the first run.

If you're on Facebook, you can become a fan of Blackfly Canoes and follow the progress there.

Jeremy
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Blackfly

Post by Mikey B »

It's looking great Jeremy! I sure don't envy all the sanding you're doing :) Wish I could afford one :-?
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Jeremy, Can you find a realistic estimate of shipping costs to the UK?

My savings certainly couldn't stand coming to the US and getting a blackfly, but might hold out for the latter if I sell the CU Fly.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

TheKrikkitWars wrote:Jeremy, Can you find a realistic estimate of shipping costs to the UK?
Honest answer, no. I've looked into it a little bit, but part of the problem is I'm not entirely sure what the final dimensions of the boat will be- which is a key factor in shipping costs, since it'll be billed by dimensional weight. With my best guess, fedex air cargo gives me an estimate of about $700, but I'd bet I could do a bit better than that if I shopped around more.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Looking at intercargo seafreight, that might still be an option for me; My crude costing based on the price to send a cu-fly to any port on the eastern seaboard from the uk would be in the region of £150 ($240), but I don't know where you're based.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

Closest ports/airports to me are either Philadelphia or Baltimore- either works.
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

Website is finally up and running, mold is done, things are moving along...:D

http://www.blackflycanoes.com
jim gross
CBoats Addict

Hey man

Post by jim gross »

Congratulations. How long do you think your composit mold will hold up baking plastic? I was always told you might get 10 boats then you will have to make another. I always wondered if corbon in the mold and extra layers would make the mold more durable. Jezz thats a lot of expense. I wish you luck and hope others buy your boat. I guess at least you will be able to sell them to your competition at worlds.

Jim
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

Jim, that is the $400 question. The people I've talked with have said 10 shouldn't be too much of a problem. Pricewise, for the number of boats I could ever possibly sell, the cost per boat is still way better than it would be from an aluminum mold. I'm shooting for around 20 boats, so I'll probably end up doing another mold. There are rumors of boat companies getting a lot more. I believe carbon is better- it conducts the heat better, but the cost probably isn't worth it. The big problem is the resin breaks down and becomes very brittle. I'm looking into high temp resins- and they do exist, but are hard to work with and difficult to find in less than industrial size. It's a learning process.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

It'll probably take from 2-5 boats to get the molding process (weight of plastic, cook times, etc) dialed in... at least from what I've heard from those that have done this before in a composite molds.

You might even want to check with Louie or Steve Scarborough on that (from the Dagger days) or pm me and I'll give you a phone number for someone who worked with composite molds with Savage and Robson.

I'm assuming this is being done in a hot air oven... yes?

Cool beans Jeremy... that'll be three new Canoes coming down the pipe for sure in 2010!!! :wink:
jim gross
CBoats Addict

Yep

Post by jim gross »

You would need at least 50 sales to justify the cost of an aluminum mold. Then you would have to hope to find one of those cheap Savage ovens. Anyway, lets hope the advice works. It would be a shame to kill your first mold with too much heat before you finish running the first five boats. Good luck.