Need Advice for C1 conversion

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

biggreenjefe
C Boater

Need Advice for C1 conversion

Post by biggreenjefe »

Been pretty much in retirement (sadly) for almost the last 4 yrs. Well screw that! Looking for a new boat to convert. Have a WS Forplay as a c1 but want one of these newer beach ball shaped boats to play in. I'm 6'1" 175 with what I'd like to think are solid skills. I live in Texas so this boat will be strictly for play and runs on these shallow, rocky creeks we have here. When I go other places I'm a die hard OC'er so with those criteria in mind, I'd love some help and suggestions on what are everyone's favorite play conversions.

And Craig, can't wait to see the new boat. Have about worn out my Spanish Fly.
kiwic1chick
C Boater

conversions

Post by kiwic1chick »

I recently converted my jackson 2fun. Great boat for playing, easiest cartwheels ever, BUT it broke. (The boat, not my outfitting.) Jackson boats make awesome conversions until you hit the cold water. I took my almost brand-new boat on the Tekapo whitewater course (which is glacier-fed) and the plastic became so brittle it cracked. Am now paddling a converted bliss stick RAD. Not quite as smooth, but so much tougher.
Matt Fritz
C Guru

Post by Matt Fritz »

Where in Texas do you live? I'm 6'6" 185lbs, live in Dallas and have a wheelboy, bigboy, jackson superstar and small fluid flirt set up as c1's you could try out.

Matt
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

The Jackson Star-series and Wavesport project dominate the playboat market, and are good C1's, The Biscuit from LL is meant to be good too.

Personally, I went for a Crazy 88, and enjoyed a Vibe & Orbit Fish convertions, Big Wave boats FTW!
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
biggreenjefe
C Boater

Post by biggreenjefe »

Have bought (awaiting arrival of) a Jackson Allstar to convert. It was a choice between it or one of the Fun series. Was looking to buy used but got a really good deal on a new one, so went ahead and went all the way. Thanks for the responses.

Matt, I'm actually in Abilene right now for a few more months. Thanks for the offer of trying out your boats. If it rains I'll PM you, maybe we can boat together.
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Hey biggreenjefe, is that the new 2010 star series? Looks like they've gone a little wider and more volume than the old ones. Looks yummy!

Have fun and let us know how it all goes,

Marc.
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
biggreenjefe
C Boater

Post by biggreenjefe »

Sadly, no, it's not the new '10 model, ergo the deal. It's the 09 or I guess the previous model change. It was their last one and it's purple. I jokingly asked the guy if he'd spray paint it before he shipped it. When you're getting your butt handed to you, the purple is harder for your friends to see than a nice bright orange or green.

It could go something like this. Your friends shading their eyes, squinting into the sun saying, "Is he out there throwing down moves in THAT hole, that boat color is just too hard to see." When in reality you're getting worked and praying, "Dear God let me survive and I promise I won't start my days off with 2 shots of tequila while peeing in my girlfriend's petunias." Guess I'm gonna need a brighter lifejacket.
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

i think you'll be much happier with 08/09 star series than the 2010 style. they look like a horrible choice for c1 to me. all bow and no stern would make for a poor downriver boat, useful for park and play only at best, i would think. saw some pretty good kayakers making the star series look hard to paddle on the gauley this year.
biggreenjefe
C Boater

Post by biggreenjefe »

Yeah this boat will be only for boating our small TX runs and some Arkansas stuff, anywhere else I'll open boat. hades I do good enough to survive the Gauley in an open boat

Talk about service...I ordered this boat last Thur. 10/15 and it arrived this morning. Good thing I'm self-unemployed, now I have time to do some outfitting.