need help IDing my c1 boat

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

dgmonster wrote:The award goes to PAC for being the first to identify the boat. I was working on the boat last night so it was still on the porch this morning with the sunlight hitting the build card just right.... for me to see the glass holding it in was peeling. I took out a knife and pulled the build card out. According to the card is was built by new wave in PA and looks to be an Aero Bat. I looked through your boat library and and the picture of my boat does not match the pics for an aero bat. Maybe I have a full Aero bat and the pics here are of one that is cut down? Either way I think my boat is the same as this one
that keeps popping up right below the search box on this website. Thanks to everyone who posted suggestion, comments and remarks not pertaining to my boat but rather to my excellent taste in beer.
Ummmm I think I beat PAC by 11 hours & 1 minute :wink: He was just copying me :lol:

Did anyone else notice that there are two beverage brands?
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Mike is correct.... his post was first as to it being an Areo! But it could be an Edge. We'll look into it more to find out for sure! :-)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
dgmonster
Pain Boater

Post by dgmonster »

Yup my bad. The mistake has been corrected please see previous page. I got all turned around because the picture did not matching my boat. And yes i may on occasion stray from the High Life and slum with OM.
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Squirt boats

Post by Mikey B »

This all has me very interested and intrigued as PAC has gotten me into the realm of Squirt boating and I'm really curious what my new boat is?
I was able to find an e-mail address for Pete Zurflieh who designed these boats and e-mailed him to see if he could help.
He has a lot of really interesting info...been fun corresponding, and here's his thoughts on this boat:

Mike

I haven’t thought about this stuff in years. I had ACL surgery in 1994 and have been paddling a kayak since then. This exchange has been a lot of fun!

The boat in the pictures is either an Edge or an Aerobat. The only difference between the two is that the Edge had volume cut out of it in the bow and stern to improve squirting. They both were built out of the same mold. Which one it is depends on how much (or how little) volume there is in the bow and stern, and it’s a little hard to tell that from the angle of these pictures. I’m guessing Edge because the shots kind of hint at less volume in the ends and also because I think New Wave probably sold more Edges than Aerobats due to the fact that they squirted better.

I think you can rule out Acrobat or Ultramax due to the wings, and I think Batmax is ruled out because the boat doesn’t have the long points on the ends (which Schreiner and I took off when we did the Aerobat plug). We kept the wings, though, because we thought they were cool and also a tribute to the Hearn/Lugbill design innovation of going narrower with C-1s.

Here’s a little more in the way of C-1 squirt boat esoterica if you’re interested. The first boat design that I got involved in (before the Aerobat, et al.) was to make a dramatically narrower C-1. The idea came from a discussion I had with Jimmy Snyder in the bar at the take-out of the Upper Yough some time in the early 80s. We were talking about C-1 designs and he asked “so why are C-1s so wide anyway?” At that time I was paddling a Max II, which I really liked a lot. So, in my parent’s back yard and shed I began project of modifying the Max II and making a much narrower boat. It was around this time that Hearn and Lugbill I think had conceived of the Batmax idea, but I had no knowledge of that and they certainly wouldn’t have known what an obscure C boater such as myself was up to in his backyard.

So, I laid up a Max II and then cut a 3 inch or so swath out of the middle of the hull and deck and seamed it back together. The cut and the seam ran down the middle of the deck and hull (90 degrees off of where you would cut if you were cutting volume – as the idea was to cut width not volume.) After seaming it I took the plug for a spin on a local creek (very carefully) and realized I couldn’t even get into the thing. So, I began building up the cockpit area of the plug with body plastic until I judged there would be enough room for a person to fit into it.

The boat was considerably narrower than the Batmax turned out to be. And it did squirt! I had been doing a lot of paddling in the Summer and Fall of 81 with Jess Whitemore on the Upper and Lower Yough and Gauley and witnessed him essentially invent squirt boating (although the Snyders added even more dimensions over the following years). This was the inspiration for making a narrower, lower volume C-1, because there was really no C boat out there at the time that would squirt, at least none that could be squirted by someone of my small stature.

I think I called the boat the “Edge” (and this is one of the reasons why there is some confusion about the names of these early C boats). But people I paddled with ignored that name and dubbed it the “Petermax,” and that’s the name that stuck. There were only 3 of these boats built that I know of. The other two boats, aside from the one I built myself, were built in my parents’ shed by two women C boaters – a woman named Suzie, whose last name can’t recall, and Julie Schmidt from Ohio, both terrific C-boaters. I think we were the only ones small enough to get in the thing. It turned out that the boat was a little too extreme in its narrowness. The mold I’ve heard is in Ohiopyle. Jim, the guy who has it, collects molds of older designs -- to preserve them for posterity.

All this preceded the Aerobat, Edge, and then Descender that Schreiner and I collaborated on.

Probably more than you wanted to know. Feel free to post any this for whatever historical interest it may hold for squirt C boaters.

Pete

Peter Zurflieh
dgmonster
Pain Boater

Post by dgmonster »

Wow! Thanks Mikey B for posting your correspondence with Peter. I will post some pics of the profile of this boat because the ends are very low volume. If my boat is an Aerobat and the Edge has less volume in the ends I would love to see a picture of an Edge.
MrTgrips
CBoats Addict

Post by MrTgrips »

Well I guess then the the boat I got from Andy Mullohan who got it from Jim Gross is an Aerobat, not an Acrobat.

I know it's hard to see, but it's got wings. Full volume too.
I wish I would have taken some photos today when Mikey B. picked up his boat. Identical to mine, but significantly lower volume. We dug down to the build card and clearly confirmed it.
New Wave Edge. 4/5 Built for Appomattox River Co.

Mick :D
MrTgrips
CBoats Addict

Post by MrTgrips »

Just found this photo too. Thought I had the build card from my Aerobat but it's just the New Wave logo.

Mick :D